Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

The Silk Purse Project

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
beeech
Lil 'ol wine drinker
beeech

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 _
PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 11:30 am

It's looking fab Mark !

Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 1:36 pm

WirralScouse wrote:

And a wife who can plaster and paint. Some guys have all the luck.

Just remind me is this your chosen abode for a few years or a do-up and flog project?

Ha ha... most of the photo's of Jan doing tradesman stuff is a set up wirral Very Happy

But she can paint and decorate with ease.

A do up and flog project was the initial plan, but we will just plod on and finish it and get it valued, and make a decision then. We have a 2 year tracker mortgage that is peanuts per month, but with penalties if it is repaid before 2 years, so the sums will have to be gone through at the time.

Last edited by Mark on Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WirralScouse
DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 2:23 pm

Trust me to fall for it! Those who know me always said I take things too seriously Cool
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 8:03 pm

WirralScouse wrote:
Trust me to fall for it! Those who know me always said I take things too seriously Cool

Bless you WS. wink

Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 4:36 pm

We've managed to finish off the room and move in to it, in time for Christmas!

So, the room that looked like this:

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 P1000912

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 P1000910

Now looks like this:

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 P1000911

Back to top Go down
beeech
Lil 'ol wine drinker
beeech

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 4:39 pm

what a difference ...

you wouldn't think it was the same room !

Back to top Go down
debdon
OFFICIAL VODKA TASTER
debdon

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 4:46 pm

Wow, looks fab. Well done to you both. :-bd:
Back to top Go down
http://www.debssweetdelights.co.uk
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 6:08 pm

Yes really tastefully done Mark cheers
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 11:00 pm

Fantastic makeover, well done you two. :-bd:

Girl Power Member
Bella

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 3:28 pm

Gosh, meant to say Mark what a great transformation you have both made......super taste. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 3:44 pm

Thanks Bella.
It's ongoing. The bit that we are doing at the moment though is non productive to the eye. Essentially insulating the loft. But the centre section has been boarded out, and needs lifting. But there's storage boxes on it. so:
1 shift boxes onto one half of the loft
2 lift loft boarding
3 lay insulation
4 lay pipes ready for new radiators while boarding is up
5 replace loft boarding
6 shift stuff from one half to the finished insulated section
7 repeat steps 2 - 5

But the bedrooms are finished so none of it intrudes as much now.
Back to top Go down
debdon
OFFICIAL VODKA TASTER
debdon

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 9:40 pm

Come on Mark, I'm getting impatient now.......need more pics of the house :n!b:

pretty please Heart

mystic mick
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 10:16 pm

Haven't done too much more recently Debs. Have been busy with my own work (as in getting paid to do stuff lol)

We have finished off the end wall of the lounge, and got a radiator on it (there wasn't any rads in the lounge), painted obviously, and have moved the stuff up to that end now, freeing up the far end, Jan has stripped the paper and coving down from the rest of the lounge now.
Had the architect round on Monday, unfortunately we need planning permission for the extension, it's just a little bit too big to build under the permitted development rules. So he's drawing up the plans now.
Getting some more fence panels delivered tomorrow to re-fence the right hand side next week.

All the loft insulation is now finished.

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 P1000876
Back to top Go down
debdon
OFFICIAL VODKA TASTER
debdon

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 11:24 pm

The garden looks so much bigger now you've cleared it - lovely size, although I don't like those tree's at the end fear lol! I just have a fear of tree's now rolling laughing Although I know they don't affect you.

Can't wait till we can start doing up a new home & taking the pics too of course lol!

Looking forward to the next lot of photo's then Mark.

Funnily enough Don was a qualified draughtsman/surveyor before he joined the brigade, although the regs have changed quite a bit since then so not sure he'd be able to do drawings for extension we may do.

Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 10:42 pm

Well the fence panels came so we we fitted those, so the fencing side of things is complete now, except for a small bit that will be done once the extension is complete.

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 P1000998

The size of the rear garden from the roof is easier to see.

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 P1010004

Next on the list is to take the chimney down. Jan couldn't see at first why the chimney had to come down, when it's only the fireplace in the lounge that needs removing. Of course there would be nothing to support the chimney with the firebreast removed so you have to start at the top and work downwards.

Chimney view:

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 P1000823

Fireplace view:

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 P1000809

So, start at the top;

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 P1000996

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 P1010003

And finish at the bottom;

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 P1010006

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 P1010007

Next job is to sort the cables out, and replaster that wall, and the ceiling too.

Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 10:51 pm

Gosh that's a job Mark, do you have joists to replace across the chimney?
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 10:56 pm

delboy wrote:
Gosh that's a job Mark, do you have joists to replace across the chimney?

No, it's fine del. Too small a gap for one, but also a bungalow only has ceiling joists, not floor joists, so only need to insert a small strut to screw the edge of the plasterboard (ceiling) to.
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 11:01 pm

Oh yes forgot the bungalow doesn't have another floor Embarassed
Back to top Go down
debdon
OFFICIAL VODKA TASTER
debdon

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 1:19 am

Looking good Mark, thanks for the pics Heart

I have to show Don any updates clap
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 12:08 am

So, work has carried on, we're doing a bit all over the place now. So, from the lounge, the fireplace came down, looking like this;

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 P1010006

So after some final clearing off of the soot, the cables were sorted out, and I decided that it was easier to 'dry line' the whole wall, which basically means sticking plasterboard over the whole lot.

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 P1010010-1

With that wall plasterboarded, the ceiling was also plasterboarded over, as the old ceiling had deteriorated too much to attempt to strip the paper off before replastering.

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 P1010008-1

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 P1010012-1

Then a simple matter of plastering over the new plasterboard.

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 P1010015-1

And a lick of paint (base coat) has been applied.

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 P1010041-1

So this is where we're at in the lounge at the moment. Coving and skirting to do next.

Last edited by Mark on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 12:10 am

Taking shape mate. clap clap

Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 12:14 am

Nice one mate, wish I had dry lined my bathroom walls they were all over the place, made the job harder. Great to see it taking shape, have you just screwed straight through the plasterboard and through the ceiling into the beams

Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 12:16 am

Whilst work in the lounge has been ongoing in a haphazard way, I've also made use of the dry weather since the cold snap ended.
I decided to make a deck patio at the rear of the garden, as it gets the sun all day long.
I dug 3 trenches across the width of the garden (look behind the greenhouse);

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Deck1

After concreting the trenches, bricks were laid where the support joists were to go, and these were fitted.

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Deck2

Then it's just a matter of laying the decking on top and screwing it all down. Voilá ;

The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Deck3
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 12:18 am

Daryn wrote:
...have you just screwed straight through the plasterboard and through the ceiling into the beams

Yes mate, just worked out where the joists were and used 50mm screws, through both layers of board.
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2012 12:20 am

I love doing decking Ive got it all over my garden. Even my raised pond is made of decking lol

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Silk Purse Project   The Silk Purse Project - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Silk Purse Project

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: MISCELLANEOUS :: PHOTOGRAPHY SECTION-
Jump to:  
Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com