Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ddolfelin

Ddolfelin

A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. _
PostSubject: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 8:58 am

“Would you like us to Valet your car?” asked the attendant at the Airport Car Park.
As SWMBO had just spent half a day restoring it to showroom condition, this was not well received.

The (scheduled) flight to Faro was a delight as we were upgraded to leading dwarves in the seats made for Wacky Warehouse. The stench from other passengers’ airline food was less overpowering and there were fewer kids skipping school.
After the usual delay ‘for routine engineering checks’ involving several men with spanners (supplied by the Airline for the stimulation of nervous passengers), we set off on the most boring bit.
How I hate Airports and everything connected with them.

Minutes stretch into hours as I look over SWMBO’s shoulder at the only thing of interest, a couple of fighters going in the opposite direction, hopefully to strafe Manchester Airport.
Thanking the best looking female member of the Cabin crew profusely, we enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine and travelled by Airport bus to the terminal - about 50 yards.
For a 5 euro tip, our private transfer driver licked the pavement and loaded our luggage.

The hotel, one we hadn’t used before, has a terrible name for publicity purposes - sounding something like “Pisshole”.
However the gardens were beautiful and we were in time for Dinner.
This consisted of Roadkill cooked in the Dish Washer as the main course.
An executive decision was made (“I’m not eating this rubbish”) to eat out in future.

We awoke next day to blazing sunshine but a strong breeze.
Within hours I had sunburned my nose (something which has never happened before).
The shower fixture jumped off the wall and fell on my sore nose.

Was very interested to see the swallows sweeping over the Pool, sipping water to make their nests, scoop up insects and slake their thirst. I tried to get pictures but my camera wasn’t fast enough due to the ‘digital’ delay.
Hoopoes and Shrikes, Storks, Egrets and Spoonbills were common.
We made the acquaintance of a friendly Gecko.

Next day the rain started and set the mood for the remaining holiday, not helped by the news that the sun was cracking the flags in the UK.

Of concern was the amount of graffiti on just about everything, including the once beautiful silver trains. Much worse that we have seen in the UK.

North African beggars were about in large numbers, including one woman who insisted on pulling out a dug and feeding her blonde haired child just as I was tucking into a large slice of chocolate cake at a street café.

Every child was examined for likeness to Madeleine - does everyone do this?

One day we joined a German couple for a drive to a Supermarket (don’t ask).
As Ernst was driving sedately along, motorists began flashing their headlights at us. Ernst was confused.
We explained that there was a Speed Trap ahead and the drivers were warning us.
“If I go too fast, I should pay”, was his comment.
An original thought.

We tried to avoid mentioning the War but the conversation drifted to Fawlty Towers.

Another day we went to Spain with a honeymoon couple (don’t ask).
It was closed. Siesta time.
The new bride came within inches of being flattened by a taxi as she stepped blindly into the road for no discernible reason.

The hotel supplied ‘entertainment’.
This comprised a Chinese Elvis Presley and other attractions.
All were rubbish ... except:
A small Portuguese girl with a massive voice who was amazing. She was running a Karaoke evening but everyone was so spell bound by her that even the drunks didn’t get up to sing.
Much too good for the venue. I even thought of e-mailing Pete Waterman but inertia prevailed.
Her Whitney Houston type version of the Bodyguard song was breathtaking.

Do you want to read about the rainy days? No.

A friend had asked us to look out for a certain piece of land to be found up a track from a bar with a one-eyed parrot.
After ten days of searching, we found a bar with a one-eyed parrot courtesy of an English Drain Cleaning man.
It was the wrong parrot.

Also staying at the hotel was an ex Snooker Professional (No 23 in the World at his best) but conversation was limited because he was Scottish.

Our new friends, including two Germans, two Belgians, two Scottish and an Irish Arab turned out to see us off to the Airport. The ladies missed our departure as they were powdering their noses when the taxi arrived early.

At Manchester Airport we waited on the Aircraft while they found a set of steps to greet the unusual arrival of passengers.
All the Bus and Coach drivers at the terminal were jumping about and hooting their horns as their team scored some penalty or other.

Here endeth the brief report of a very average holiday experience.
Back to top Go down
http://dddioramas.webs.com/
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 10:03 am

Very good DD, it made me laugh out loud twice, now I have to show it to Mrs Db to verify i'm not mad, have a rep cheers 
Back to top Go down
4thforum

4thforum

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 10:41 am

Very succinctly put Dd. Have a rep!!clap  That used to be my typical holiday experience.Its also the reason we book apartments from the owners these days.
Back to top Go down
Ddolfelin

Ddolfelin

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 11:01 am

Thanks, 4th.

I think that one comes under the heading:
"What the heck am I doing here?".
Back to top Go down
NannyJen
Girl Power Member

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 11:57 am

An entertaining read, Dd, with some familiar scenarios that, I'm sure, we've all experienced on various hols!

Rep on the way.  clap
Back to top Go down
Ddolfelin

Ddolfelin

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks, Jen.

I took out the bad language especially for you.
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2013 6:12 pm

Nice story have a rep clap 

NannyJen
Girl Power Member

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 10:16 am

Ddolfelin wrote:
Thanks, Jen.

I took out the bad language especially for you.

Now that's got me wondering what sort of impression you have of me!!

Tweed skirts, sensible shoes, lace handkerchiefs & a blue rinse spring to mind!  biggrin
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 10:27 am

Oh are you not like that then Jen rolling laughing 
Back to top Go down
NannyJen
Girl Power Member

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 11:35 am

Well .......  I quite like the thought of sensible shoes  .......  but, just the thought!!  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ddolfelin

Ddolfelin

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 23, 2013 5:06 pm

What colour rinse do you have, Jen?
Do you wear the lace hankie on your head?
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 5:27 pm

Enjoyable read there DD, rep from me as well. clap 

Ddolfelin

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 10:04 am

Thanks, Mick.
Just telling it like it is/was.
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeSat Jul 27, 2013 6:20 pm

Ddolfelin wrote:
Thanks, Mick.
Just telling it like it is/was.

As you always do DD. wink 

lol! lol! lol! lol! 

Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 8:12 pm

DD . . you are beginning to sound more and more like Victor Meldrew Very Happy
 I hope you were able to hide your disdain . . or is that why you had such a big attendance at your 'farewell . . .

What DID you do on the rainy days? Razz 

I've just noticed you've passed 2000 posts some time recently . . and you haven't changed your avatar . .
Never mind . . if the cap fits lol! 
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Well I'd missed this as well DD Embarassed  Shocked  so a belated rep from me lol!
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 11:24 pm

Forgot to rep you DD . .  sorted now . .  who knows what you might have got if you'ld posted some pics . . Very Happy 
You can redeem yourself on your Skaleta review . . Wink

I'm beginning to think that you're just not telling us when you're going on hols, to avoid review writing . . . Wink 
Back to top Go down
Ddolfelin

Ddolfelin

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 7:14 am

Thanks for the reps.
I'm not worthy.
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 9:13 am

We know! biggrin 
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2013 2:19 pm

Mick will be along to red rep you soon DD Evil or Very Mad  don't worry No 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.   A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A few years ago in Portugal, Quateira.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: PORTUGAL, includes Madeira, Cape Verde :: RESORT REVIEW SECTION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com