Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night _
PostSubject: Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night   Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 2:47 pm

Stacey Dooley has recently fronted a BBC documentary on the dangers of late night muggings in Magaluf.
See here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=350605731718763

Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night   Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 2:52 pm

The whole programme:

Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night   Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 3:03 pm

Good call Mark for bringing this up as a warning to others, don't forget these are not prostitutes they are thieves posing as prostitutes.

Stick together if your out late at night and/or get a taxi back home.

Prostitution is legal in Spain so unless the Spanish police have absolute evidence that they are on the rob they cannot do anything.

Also think back to when we reported the situation that if the robbery was less than 400 euros, in Spain, its not a prisonable offence as far as we know upto now, we are still wanting to verify this and looking into it

Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night   Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night Icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2013 9:37 pm

Well posted Mark, if it can save one person getting mugged, well done you. clap clap Also it is a timely reminder as people will be thinking of going out there soon.

DadsBarmy

PostSubject: Re: Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night   Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 11:58 am

Spains current penal code states that anything lower than 400 Euros is not considered a "theft", just an "huerto", which roughly translates as pinching, punishable by a fine. The distinction is that it needs to be over 400 Euros to be punishable by a prison sentence. The other thing to note is that this 400 Euros can be cumulative, ie 4 thefts of 100 Euros becomes a 400 Euro total.

For the Spanish readers there is a summary at the bottom of this article noticiasdealava.com/2010/04/21/sociedad/esta…

Definitoin of Hurto vs Robo here

…juridicas.com/articulos/…
Back to top Go down
yozef
MF joke teller
yozef

PostSubject: Re: Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night   Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 12:14 pm

yes well done mark.

this problem needs to be highlighted so as folk visiting the resort are fully aware of the dangers late at night.

most of us know this has been a problem for years but it is getting worse than ever.

at least this post is from someone who has a genuine concern for his fellow travellers and not someone just "bigging himself up".
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night   Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 12:21 pm

Dad's, why don't people just say that they have had €405 stolen from them then?

Also, violence is violence, irrespective of any theft. Why aren't there prosecutions for assault?
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night   Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks for confirming the info Dads, I thought it was €400 as I had done some research last year on this, I know others had said it to be €250 that's why I didn't want to fully commit to the €400 until I knew 100%.

What I didn't know was that this figure could be a collective figure 4 lots of €100 etc. Ill take a look around and put this somewhere for future reference, maybe on the tips section if you don't mind Dads.

Mark I think if travellers knew about the €400 mark they would probably say just that.

Maybe we should have a warning on the main page/main site about this problem now after all the publicity.

Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night   Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 3:22 pm

I think that's a good shout Daryn,

But 'pinching' with violence ought to be something that the authorities are on top of, surely?
If stores can have plain clothes detectives I really really don't see why this is beyond the spanish police Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night   Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 3:27 pm

Yeah I agree, its crazy that we can sit in a bar and watch it all unfold, you can actually see it with your own eyes these girls pestering drunk guys.

So as you say why cant police sit at say the plaza bar and do the same as us, maybe they actually are doing this as a lot of these girls do go to court but as stated with the rules, if its under €400 then its just a fine so really there hands are tied.

Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night   Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 3:57 pm

I know the owner of the City Lights bar and he's told me before that the police have their hands tied to a certain extent, one they don't have passports so can't be deported, and two they have learned to make accusations that they themselves have been assaulted, - they also have 50 witnesses, all women assumedly from the same country funnily enough Wink
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night   Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 5:08 pm

Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night Maj_da10
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night   Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2013 6:08 pm

When me & Daryn met Tjay in October, he said that his mate reported an incident, but was told that he had to have 400 euro's or more taken. But it got turned on it's head, as he was reported to the Police by the muggers, for some reason. Hopefully Tjay will read this & fill in any blanks, which I may have left out.

PostSubject: Re: Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night   Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warning for revellers in Magaluf late at night

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: LATEST TRAVEL NEWS FROM AROUND THE WORLD :: ENTER HERE-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com