Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hayzer
ALL ROUND DESTINATION EXPERT
Hayzer

soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller _
PostSubject: Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller   soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 11:25 pm

We stayed in the town of Soller for 6 days in June 2007, it was our first time in Soller but certainly not our last. We had a hire car and were following the first signs we saw pointing to the centre which turned out to be a mistake as the street became too narrow for the car to go down and I had to reverse about a couple of hundred yards on to a main street. We eventually found our way to the centre via the main street. Our hotel was a few minutes stroll from the main square and was next to a large car park.

We immediately fell for Soller’s charms as soon as we had settled into our hotel and went for a walk round. Soller Is a beautiful traditional Mallorquin town set in the Soller Valley, it was once the home of the orange traders who built impressive town houses with their wealth. Soller, considering how many tourists visit on the train every day, remains unspoilt and very traditional in appearance.

The main square is where most of the bars and restaurants are and is the perfect place to people watch. During the day it gets quite busy with people visiting on the train from Palma. Last year we went back for a day and found it to be extremely busy in the afternoon. Soller is definitely at its best when it quietens down in the late afternoon and early evening. I always feel you only get a proper feel for a place if you stay there and I thought that even more so of Soller it felt so much nicer when the “day trippers” had gone. Once you wander away from the square things get much quieter and the streets are very quaint with small shops and a few cafes here and there. It is nice to stroll round the town after you have eaten and stop off here and there for a drink before settling in the square to watch the world go by.

We took the tram to Puerto Soller and spent the day there and found it to be very nice. Puerto Soller is as much of a port/town as it is a resort. The hotels are all low rise and dotted around the bay so it doesn’t feel like a resort, I thought it was like a smaller version of Puerto Pollenca. It has a very friendly and laid back atmosphere. I believe it is a bit more expensive than some of the larger resorts but in this case I would say you get what you pay for. It has an upmarket fell to it but still retains loads of local character which some resorts lack.

A huge plus about staying in Soller is you are very close to Furnalutx which has become another must visit place when we are in Mallorca. Fornalutx claims to be Mallorca’s most picturesque village and it is pretty hard to argue against that. A stroll round the village and a stop of for lunch is a sheer delight and everyone should do it at least once.
We have always intended to go back to Soller and stay but as yet haven’t got round to it but we will, It has a magnetic charm that makes you want to go back time after time.

The quiet but quaint streets of Soller
soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Cimg0520u

soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Cimg0522

soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Soller10

The local mode of transport (if you don't have a donkey Wink )

soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Cimg0514s

soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Cimg0508h

soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Cimg0507a

The port

soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Soller11

soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Soller13

The beaches are quite small here

soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Soller16

soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Soller17

We stopped here on the first day for lunch, a tapas selection for 2 Mmmmmmmmm, so that evening we we sat down there for a drink and had a look at the menu it seemed a little uninspiring and a bit limited but it was very reasonable and we were hungry.

The food was fantastic, so much so we ate there every night we were in Soller. It was extremely reasonable and the food was heavenly. We always left tips for the staff and on out last night we got a bottle of wine on the house cheers

soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Soler710

Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller   soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 11:33 pm

Great review and great pics, - sharp as a button.
We've also been, can't say i've got any pics better than you, maybe one of the town centre with the train coming through.
The drive out of town on the northern road was a great adventure, really narrow.
Love it.
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller   soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 1:58 pm

What a great review Hayzer this is just what the forum needed, I will look forward to my visit there.
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller   soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 9:35 am

Yet another fantastic review H with the accompanying photo's. cheers Wow this Forum is great for reviews & photo's.

Girl Power Member
Bella

PostSubject: Re: Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller   soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 6:43 pm

Brilliant photos....I did the train journey when we were down south one year, absolutely amazing.
Had morning coffee in that magical square....isn't the beautiful church sooo HUGE?
Down on the little train for lunch.....took my breathe away when I first set eyes on that wonderful bay!

Definetely a place I must return to.
Back to top Go down
DadsBarmy

DadsBarmy

PostSubject: Firo 2011   soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Icon_minitimeThu May 12, 2011 12:28 pm

Photos and youtube of this weekends festival, no Donkeys or Whippets were harmed, but it's very noisy
with firecrackers and shotguns constantly being fired (blanks of course)
http://comunidad.diariodemallorca.es/galeria-multimedia/Moros-Cristianos/Moros-Cristianos/26641/1.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1tYwhiuMVw
Back to top Go down
ianb

PostSubject: Re: Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller   soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 9:35 pm

Despite a number of trips to Majorca Ive never managed to see soller... Wow it looks stunning, i love wandering around narrow spanish streets that have original buildings (as opposed to built for tourists) as shown in these great photos and will have to make an effort to get there next week. best check the map to see how far it is.

edit .. doesnt look to bad a triup form santa ponsa, is it a car hire job or is there a train?bus?
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller   soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 10:41 pm

A car would obviously be easier Ian, but if time isn't a problem for you, then a bus into Palma, and then the train up to soller is the way to go, the train goes through beautiful scenery, there is also a tourist geared journey mid morning that stops overlooking a precipice.

Here's some more info for you:

http://www.sollertrain.com/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller   soller - Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Soller, Soller Town, Puerto Soller

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: MAJORCA SECTION :: MAJORCA ACCOMMODATION / MAJORCA RESORT REVIEW SECTIONS :: SOLLER (includes Puerto Soller) :: SOLLER RESORT-
Jump to:  
Create a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com