Share | 

Madeira, Funchal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Madeira, Funchal _
PostSubject: Madeira, Funchal   Madeira, Funchal Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 12:56 pm

The Capital of Madeira is Funchal, and it lies on the South Eastern side of the Island.
We visited in January 2008.
It has a large harbour which attracts Atlantic cruise ships.

Madeira, Funchal 100_0591

It has long been a winter destination due to it’s year round mild climate.
It is a Portugese Autonomous Region.
It has a population of approx 150,000.

Madeira, Funchal 100_0528 The flight into the airport comes in over the sea, right until the last minute, and was very dangerous until recently, when the runway extension was completed, using concrete pillars in the sea.

There aren’t any beaches to speak of,

Madeira, Funchal 100_0548

So there has been provided several public Lido’s, which are readily accessible.

Madeira, Funchal 100_0545

There is minimal night life, evenings are spent more typically sharing meal in a restaurant, and there are several around the harbour for this. Several boats are also converted into restaurants, many with themes, such as this one was The Beatles. There was a claim involving John Lennon but I forget the exact tie – in.
They close early in relation to many other holiday resorts, around 10.30pm.

Madeira, Funchal 100_1354

The city straddles three rivers that merge together, they were subjected to flash floods recently that was reported on the worlds media.
Madeira, Funchal 100_0554

Funchal shelves from sea level up to mountains, providing a natural amphitheatre, this is high enough for the clouds to condense and form in a very quick fashion.

Madeira, Funchal 100_0583

One can take a cable car from the centre up to a church and botanical gardens, this is a suburb known as Monte. It is approx 900 metres high.
Madeira, Funchal 100_0596
Madeira, Funchal 100_0601
Madeira, Funchal 100_0599
Madeira, Funchal 100_0607 he view from the top is captivating.

The church at the top.

Madeira, Funchal 100_0609

The way down is by bus, or by Tobaggan!!

Madeira, Funchal 100_0610

We opted for the bus….!

One of the more prettier parts of the world in my opinion. Flowers known as ‘Bird of Paradise’ are abundant.
Madeira, Funchal 100_1362

As are bananas growing wild in the street
Madeira, Funchal 100_0549

There was many other trips we could have done, but we primarily went for a week of winter sun, which we achieved, temps about 24 C in January.

Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Madeira, Funchal _
PostSubject: Re: Madeira, Funchal   Madeira, Funchal Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 2:38 pm

Another excellent report Mark, Mrs Delboy tells me the Lavarders are excellent for walking alongside
Back to top Go down
Hayzer
ALL ROUND DESTINATION EXPERT
Hayzer

Madeira, Funchal _
PostSubject: Re: Madeira, Funchal   Madeira, Funchal Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 11:43 pm

Nice review Mark, Me and Mrs H went to Madeira a few years back, cant remember how many now Embarassed but it was before my digital camera days so must have been 2002. We loved it even though the weather wasn't to kind to us. It was May and of the 7 days we had 2 good sunny days 4 overcast with occasional sunny spells and one day of torrential rain. I was struck by how clean the place was, no litter on the streets, beautiful gardens everywhere and loads of men employed to keep it that way.

Admin
Daryn

Madeira, Funchal _
PostSubject: Re: Madeira, Funchal   Madeira, Funchal Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 12:12 am

Fantastic yet again there is no stopping you now mate. photographer

casaianda

casaianda

Madeira, Funchal _
PostSubject: Re: Madeira, Funchal   Madeira, Funchal Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 11:32 am

Great shame that so many of the Levada walks were washed away in the devasting floods Madeira experienced a few months ago.

The island desperately needs visitors now to restore its tourist industry that has really suffered since the floods.

We have visited the island twice - stayed in Machico the first time and Funchal the second - and it is a lovely place to visit. Definitely caters for the ´more mature´ holidaymaker though!
Back to top Go down
http://www.bandblakevinuela.com
WirralScouse
DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

Madeira, Funchal _
PostSubject: Re: Madeira, Funchal   Madeira, Funchal Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 2:36 pm

We had a week there in January 2007.We must have been unlucky with the weather as we had some rain every day and only a few sunny intervals.There was permanent low cloud and it was anorak cool.We were a good 45 minutes walk from central Funchal at H Regency Palace which Saga rated 5*.I gave it a grudging 4* of my own and it wasn't worth what Saga were charging.Saga made a big fuss about the hotel food and awarded it a rosette for quality.I have eaten better in 4* Sol hotels in Spain.We haven't been on a Saga holiday since and are unlikely to now that I am into DIY booking.

We also went back to Funchal last October when our cruise ship Arcadia had an overnight stay there during a cruise around the Canaries and Madeira.For the 2 days we were in port the weather was lovely.I know it is the climate that makes it such a verdant island.The only really interesting thing I did was visit the fish market.Mrs WS had a nice surprise though when she unearthed a fat slug in her lunchtime salad at one of the open air street cafes-and I wasn't that fat slug! She was more concerned about it than the waitress whose attention we drew to it.Spose it could happen to anybody.

Won't be returning to Madeira.Prefer Lanzarote and Fuerteventura.Better quality for less money and sandy beaches to boot.
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Madeira, Funchal _
PostSubject: Re: Madeira, Funchal   Madeira, Funchal Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 9:41 am

Yet again Mark, great review & photo's. cheers It is like we are there with you. You seem to be a natural reviewer. Wink

Madeira, Funchal _
PostSubject: Re: Madeira, Funchal   Madeira, Funchal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Madeira, Funchal

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: PORTUGAL, includes Madeira, Cape Verde :: RESORT REVIEW SECTION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com