Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm _
PostSubject: Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm   Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 10:41 am

The City of Benidorm lies on the Spanish mainland, on the coast known as Costa Blanca (White Coast).
Originally a small fishing village with approx 3,000 inhabitants, development began in the 1950’s, and continues to expand today. The opening of Alicante airport in the late 1960’s being a major reason for the expansion.

Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm 100_0330

The resident population is approx 70,000, but the mean (tourist included) population is approx ONE MILLION during the peak months.
A spot on the beach is hard to find!

Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Camera2008various019

I have given it the nickname of Mega City One, but other known nicknames are ‘Manhattan of Spain’ or ‘BeniYork’.
It contains the highest density of hi rise buildings per capita in the world.

Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Camera2008various003
Clearly Spain’s premier destination, so much so that it accounts for approx 12% of Spain’s GDP.

There are two bays and two sections, Levante and Poniente, Levante being the older section.
In my experience the Levante side attracts more Spanish visitors, the Poniente side attracting more European tourists.

Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm 100_0313-1 View of the Poniente side.

The night life is mainly cabaret act orientated, there is simply something for everyone, country music, tribute acts, or the delights of ‘Sticky Vicky’!

Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm 100_0327

The Gran Hotel Bali is a 186 metre tall skyscraper that dominates the skyline, it was for many years Spain’s tallest building, it still remains the tallest Hotel in Europe.

Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm 100_0332

Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm   Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 10:58 am

Fantastic review bud, Ive stayed at the Gran Hotel Bali once before, my friends told me it was really high up and stars such as Elton John had stayed there so we booked it ,the normal rooms were not as posh as we thought they were gonna be, infact our room had a huge smashed mirror across the room wall and was not very big. I was really disappointed. When you see Benidorm from the plane it looks horrible lol, Ive stayed in Benidorm a few times in my life now, it was my second holiday abroad, but I could not stay there for a week ,for me Benidorm is a good 2 to 3 day break for watching the shows and getting beer drinker . Blackpool in the sun is a true statement.
Well done matey the photo's are brilliant.

delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm   Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 2:23 pm

Great review again Mark and those photos really give you the feel of the place.
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm   Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 2:24 pm

I forgot to add, when we was there, there were building works going on opposite. They are finished now.
There was such a racket that i set up a short vid on you tube Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GigfExSwVE
Back to top Go down
sarah

sarah

PostSubject: Re: Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm   Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 3:54 pm

I've never been to Benidorm, but hubby and son have, our son plays 7's, not that I was told a lot about the resort, apart fron Sticky Vicky, who must be in her 60's by all accounts Shocked when the chaps went it has been in March when the tournament is on, both said it was very good, food, hotel and bars, the last two gholidayas we have had have been to Malgret de Mar & Tossa de Mar the later is a beautiful place, hotel was really nice close to the beach, both AI. Take care
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm   Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 3:58 pm

Just looked at your vid and Im sure thats when we were there lol ,I remember walking up that road and there was some sort of massive pounding hammer all day long

Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm   Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 9:31 am

Fabulous review Mark. cheers I have always wanted to go, but have never been, probably because I like Magalluf PalmaNova so much. Cool

Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm   Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 9:50 pm

If you was to put Magaluf and New York into a blender Mick, Benidorm is what you'd get eek
Back to top Go down
WirralScouse
DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

PostSubject: Re: Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm   Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 10:34 pm

I am a sucker on hols for live singers.I 'fess I haven't been to any of the Magaluf places that put them on-maybe next month?-but I have seen some good'uns when staying at H Matias Beach in Palma Nova,H Alicia in Cala Bona and in particular at 3 hotels in Fuengirola and Nerja on Costa del Sol.2 names to mention Rikki Lavazza and Ricky Stevens.I also saw at Son Matias a young tenor who was appearing in Come Fly With Me and he was tops but didn't catch his name.

Mrs WS steadfastly refuses to go to Beni,I have been once,but I want to go back purely for the live cabarets.On our first Med cruise one of the acts was Smart Move a British vocal male duo from Blackpool.They were sensational.Wonderful harmonies.And then I discovered they were regulars on the cabaret scene in Beni.I like tribute acts too.There is a Rod Stewart in Majorca who is good and an Elvis.On the ships I have seen good Elton John and Robbie Williams.I can use tinternet buddies as a reason for loping off to Majorca on my own but what excuse can I give for wanting to have a short week in Beni? And that review of Ocas looks very good.Just hope I don't bump into Johnnie Vegas there. mrs WS says he is disgusting.I would like a night out in his company cos his humour appeals to me.Chubby Brown isn't everyone's cup of tea but many think he is the best Brit comedian.
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm   Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 11:15 pm

We caught a Meat Loaf tribute called Pete Loaf while we was there... he even had a Cher in tow, both were really good.
I might have a vid of it somewhere :idea:

But the acts in that Morgans bar, night after night, were really good... other bars did far better drinks deals though. BOGOF's everywhere, so thats 2 lagers and two ciders for €6 and a live singer... can't be bad.

I'd probably go to Benidorm a bit more if it wasn't for the 1 hour transfer time. It also gets hotter there earlier on in the season... like any City with tall buildings does... it traps the heat. 80 in April easy.
Back to top Go down
WirralScouse
DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

PostSubject: Re: Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm   Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 11:27 pm

Yes Beni is finding it even tougher than Majorca.Visitor numbers are way down.Turkey,Greece,Bulgaria and Egypt are pinching their regular customers.Also they have a much worse street crime/prostitution problem than Majorca.Think I will ask Daryn to go as my minder.From his taxi stories he can handle anything-except when he has been down the club with his Dad and his mates drinking Fosters at prices we can only dream about.
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm   Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 11:41 pm

At the moment WS, prices in Magalluf/Palma Nova are the same as at Daryn's club. beer drinker

Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm   Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 12:25 am

I love Chubby Brown and have seen him all over the country mainly in Blackpool on lots of occasions but we seen the tribute Chubby in Benidorm and If you have never seen chubby brown before youwill love this but there was a gang of us and we all got very bored as all the jokes we had heard before from the man himself.

Bella
Girl Power Member
Bella

PostSubject: Re: Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm   Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 3:53 pm

Oh! my Goodness, how Benidorm has GROWN!! surprised Amazing pictures!

Benidorm was my first ever holiday abroad with a friend when I was eighteen,
(many,many years ago!) thought it was a huge resort then, loved it so much we
returned the following year!! Never been back since but would maybe consider
going in the quieter months ( if there is any!) just out of curiosity.....but only if
someone else was paying! :!: :!: :!:
I do recall the old town being rather nice though.
Back to top Go down
geordie marie

PostSubject: Re: Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm   Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 4:07 pm

i love Benidorm. We go at least once or twice a year. Infact ive just got back from there last week.
Loads to do and see for all ages!
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm   Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 4:17 pm

Most of MF went out there recently Marie, well 6 of us did, well 3 with our partners

Spain, Costa Blanca, The Flamingo Oasis
Back to top Go down
HappyH

HappyH

PostSubject: Re: Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm   Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Icon_minitimeTue Sep 30, 2014 2:44 pm

Rep from me Mark, Thank You.
HH.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm   Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spain, Costa Blanca, Benidorm

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: SPAIN, includes Balearics (not Majorca see seperate section). :: SPAIN RESORT REVIEWS-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com