Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Greece, Island of Cephalonia (Kefalonia), Fiscardo, Restaurant review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Roving Mike

Roving Mike

Greece, Island of Cephalonia (Kefalonia), Fiscardo, Restaurant review _
PostSubject: Greece, Island of Cephalonia (Kefalonia), Fiscardo, Restaurant review   Greece, Island of Cephalonia (Kefalonia), Fiscardo, Restaurant review Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 2:54 pm

CAPTAINS CABIN
“Call that a Salad!”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We wanted to enjoy this place as it has one of the best plots on the harbour-side. The tables are almost on top of the moored yachts which can be fun, especially when their meal looks better than yours. The reason for our dissatisfaction was the excuse for a Greek salad they gave us. This consisted of a bunch of lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and ham cubes DRENCHED in thousand island sauce. I also had garlic prawns and one of them had a head but no body. My Pork was just about OK but nothing to write home about.

IRIDAS
“A Disappointment”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

We really wanted to enjoy this place. In fact we saved it until our last night. But it was not very good.We waited ages to be served, in fact two other couples got up and walked out.First course was garlic bread which consisted of under toasted French bread with raw garlic and olive oil splashed on it,The main course was a reasonable steak but with nothing apart from half a tiny baked potato with it. Anything else costs extra including bread.The bill was prohibitive compared with it's competitors. Sorry, but no.

NEFELI ASSOS
“Mezze is vast!”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This must be the definition of a picture perfect location and a palate perfect meal.We had great seats close to the water and enjoyed the best and biggest mezze starter we have ever encountered. In fact we were so full afterwards we struggled to eat the main course.You owe it to yourself to go there but have the mezze first before you order anything else!

OLD STONE HOUSE
“Best value and best food”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This place is about 2 miles out of Fiscardo on the 'main road' if you can all it that! Because of it's loacation it is nearly half the price of what you pay harbourside and, because locals go there, they have to maintain high standards all the time.
It is a friendly place opposite a little playground where local and visiting children play nicely and quietly. It is relaxed, easy on the eye and a venue where you can truly relax.
Now to the food. We ended up going a few times and we never had one slightly disapointing meal. Look at their daily specials because they really are just that. They do spit roasts on Friday and Sunday which are delicious. Try the Pitta bread aptitizer as the seasoning is out of this world. On top of this their local house wine served in carafes is damn good.
Their puddings? YUMMY......They also will provide anything on the menu as a Takeaway including anything (like Pizzas) that you cannot finish.

THEADORAS
“The place to go”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I am going to struggle to not make this report sound like an owners adverorial because it was so great and played a large part in the enjoyment of our holiday.We found it perfect for loads of reasons which include:If you want a light snack e.g. omlettes, crepes etc they are the best in town.If you want to sit and drink great beers/wine/cocktales and gaze at the harbour it is perfect.If you want to see everything that goes on in the port relax on their balcony and enjoy.If you want to meet the nicest familly and staff just go there and their kindness will embrace you.A true and wonderful find and we popped in most nights to sit, relax and enjoy.
If you go, say Mike and Judith from England say Hi!

ALEXIS
“Nice setting and OK food”
Reviewed 12 July 2012

This is one of the many pavement/quayside restaurants in Fiscardo. This one is alongside another in the open square that leads to the harbour and has the better view.
The food is acceptable rather than memorable and the menu consists of all the usual Greek favourites. I had Souvlaki which was served with fries and a salad and my wife tried the Moussaka which she said was excellent. We had a bottle of Kefalonian white wine called 'Aspro' which was very acceptable. Like many others it is a great place to watch the World go by and the staff were friendly and attentive.

NICOLAS TAVERNA
“Repetitive eccentricity!”
Reviewed 13 July 2012

This place is a strange one. The setting is stunning, the outdoor dining was sheltered but spacious. The view of the harbour from your table is second to none especially at dusk.
Then you have the ever present fast talking (when not singing) owner Nicolas who is eccentric. We knew he was eccentric because the first few pages of his menu are old newspaper cuttings saying he is. What could go wrong? The food went wrong.

We had just about decided what we were having when Nicolas swept up to our table. We gave our order and he groaned. I can do this for you sir and madame BUT for just 14 euros (he conspiratorially wrote the number on our table cloth) I can offer my special bream with crispy stir fried vegetables and a special sauce. OK, my wife said but I resisted his charms and chose his mixed grilled meats. Having half achieved his goal he cracked a couple of spontaneous jokes about the nearby yachtsmen and went on his merry singing way. Very eccentric we thought.

To start we had some Tzaziki and I admit it was home made and delicious. We looked forward even more for the main.
The restaurant got busier and Nicolas plunged into 'eccentric overdrive'. All we could hear was his singing, his pen scribbling 14 euros on nearby tablecloths, conspiratorial suggestions and two 'spontaneous' yachtsman jokes Sadly he turned out not to be one of life's eccentrics but more of a premeditated salesmen. Never mind, we thought the Bream would be special.

The Bream arrived and it was not special. It was small, dry and tasteless. The stir fry was a few vegetables floating in olive oil and covered with a sprinkling of tinned peas. My mixed meats was clearly heated up previously cooked stuff with most of it dry and leathery.

We decided to quietly pay and go so I asked for the bill. Meanwhile a waiter walked up to the table, looked at my wife's fish, and said in an accusing way You Don't Like it?! He thrust the bill at me and the cost was 75 euros, nearly twice what we paid for similar meals and drink elsewhere.
Once he had made his initial pitch Nicolas himself ignored us. We walked past him on the way out and he said nothing as he was too busy being eccentric and selling his overstocked sea bream to another round-eyed couple.

You may wonder why I have reported this? Well its because Nicolas is so confident you are going to love him and his food that he attaches a card to his bills inviting you to report your experience on the net. How could we refuse!

Back to top Go down
http://travelprotales.blogspot.com
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Cephalonia (Kefalonia), Fiscardo, Restaurant review   Greece, Island of Cephalonia (Kefalonia), Fiscardo, Restaurant review Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 5:36 pm

Good honest reviews mate. clap Any photo's at all Mike?

Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Cephalonia (Kefalonia), Fiscardo, Restaurant review   Greece, Island of Cephalonia (Kefalonia), Fiscardo, Restaurant review Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 5:38 pm

yes good to get the honest reviews of the restaurants Mike cheers rep from me
Back to top Go down
Roving Mike

Roving Mike

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Cephalonia (Kefalonia), Fiscardo, Restaurant review   Greece, Island of Cephalonia (Kefalonia), Fiscardo, Restaurant review Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 8:39 pm

thanks guys. Got pics but when I press edit and try to add them the system will not let me! DOH, doing something wrong no doubt. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://travelprotales.blogspot.com
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Cephalonia (Kefalonia), Fiscardo, Restaurant review   Greece, Island of Cephalonia (Kefalonia), Fiscardo, Restaurant review Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 11:15 pm

Best to log out and log back in Mike? It does that to me sometimes madd
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Cephalonia (Kefalonia), Fiscardo, Restaurant review   Greece, Island of Cephalonia (Kefalonia), Fiscardo, Restaurant review Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 12:16 am

Rep from me too Mike . . .

Loved the reviews . . like your last one says . . when someone is being a 'show man' . . . it's pretty obvious . . . and when they lose interest as soon as you get seated . . . it's a bit of a swizz . .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Cephalonia (Kefalonia), Fiscardo, Restaurant review   Greece, Island of Cephalonia (Kefalonia), Fiscardo, Restaurant review Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greece, Island of Cephalonia (Kefalonia), Fiscardo, Restaurant review

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: GREECE includes Greek Islands :: RESORT REVIEW SECTION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com