Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Mon Port Hotel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hayzer
ALL ROUND DESTINATION EXPERT
Hayzer

Mon Port Hotel  _
PostSubject: Mon Port Hotel    Mon Port Hotel  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 3:23 pm

Mon Port Hotel - Puerto Andratx

We stayed here for the first 6 days of our holiday in June, as usual it involved hours of research and price comparison. We were swithering on a few hotels and Mrs. H found an incredible low price for the Mon Port on travel republic so we decided to book it.
On arrival at the hotel we were very warmly welcomed by the reception desk, check in was swift and painless. We were pointed in the general direction of our room and left to get on with it, no offer to show us to our room (some distance away) or to carry our bags down the stairs along past the pool and up a flight of stairs to our room. This was not a problem for us but people less able had to fend for themselves as well and I was surprised that there was no porter service available.

I have no complaints about our room whatsoever, we had a junior suite which was spacious very well kept and generally very nice, with a spacious bathroom. There were good quality toiletries in the room and tea & coffee making facilities which were in good supply and replaced every day. The room was extremely quiet and we never heard any noise at all on our stay.
The hotel comprises of about nine smallish accommodation blocks spread out in the hotel grounds, the blocks are only 2 storeys high and have about 20 rooms per block.

The hotel itself is in very well kept with no signs of wear and tear. The public areas were extremely nice and well looked after. The garden and pool areas are also well landscaped and tended.

The breakfasts were great, a huge range to suit all tastes, cereals, cold meats and cheeses, fruit, yogurts, bacon, eggs and omelets cooked to order and a good selection of pastries. The coffee was of a good quality and served hot.

We dined there the first night but were extremely disappointed with the fare on offer. The food was very bland and unimaginative, we were served vegetables which were almost raw, while out meat was cooked to within an inch of its life. We were given sauces obviously from a packet which solidified as it cooled. Considering we paid 70 Euros for two courses each and a bottle of wine it was extremely poor indeed. We didn't eat there again.
I thought initially I was being a bit harsh on my criticism of the food but spoke to a few people and they were of the same opinion as myself.

We noticed while dining that the staff weren't very attentive or friendly and this followed on to the bar as well. You were very lucky if you got served at your table and had to go to the bar for a drink and order from the often sullen barmen. I as normal paid for drinks as we went and always tipped the waiters where most just added it to their room bill with no tipping, even this didn’t get me any preferential treatment. There were a few occasions where customers queried their bills as the staff had overcharged them for drinks.

We found that you had to pay for things like a safe or Internet access. Pool towels wad to have a deposit left for them which is returned when you return the towels.

Although the hotel was more than enough sunbeds with pads for all the guests we found that people still got up early to claim their beds. If you want a bed by the pool you had to be up early but you didn't see many people using them until late morning.

To sum up my thoughts on the Mon Port, it is a really nice well kept quiet hotel with beautiful gardens and swimming pool. Breakfasts were great, evening meals were not and the waiting staff could be more attentive and friendly. I did however find all the other staff very helpful and extremely friendly.

A great hotel if you go B&B

The room had twin (passion killer) beds rather than a double. The room was rather nice though.

Mon Port Hotel  P1000061

Mon Port Hotel  P1000062i

Mon Port Hotel  P1000065r

The hotel grounds and pool area were very attractive and extremely well kept.

Mon Port Hotel  P1000067d

Mon Port Hotel  P1000068p

Mon Port Hotel  P1000081y

The pool was always quite quiet

Mon Port Hotel  P1000079e

Mon Port Hotel  P1000104z

There were always plenty of sun loungers and pads but the ones around the pool were hogged by the dreaded 8am gang.

Mon Port Hotel  P1000102q

The accommodation blocks were only 2 storey high and well spaced out so it didn't really feel like a hotel as such

Mon Port Hotel  P1000111a

All the public areas were immaculately kept no signs of wear and tear.

Mon Port Hotel  P1000106k

Mon Port Hotel  P1000108h

Mon Port Hotel  P1000109

Mon Port Hotel  P1000110o

ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Mon Port Hotel  _
PostSubject: Re: Mon Port Hotel    Mon Port Hotel  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 3:39 pm

Very good & honest review of your Hotel H, with fantastic photo's to accompany it. cheers

DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

Mon Port Hotel  _
PostSubject: Re: Mon Port Hotel    Mon Port Hotel  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 4:34 pm

Looks delightful Hayzer.It seems B&B terms booked through Travel Republic would be best for 3/4 day stay do you agree?I don't know it at all.Have been to PdA 3 or 4 times visiting.

Question1) Knowiing the parking problem in the resort where did you park when staying at Mon Port?
2) Can you eat well and not too expensively in restos? (I found it a very expensive place catering for the in-crowd)
3) Is it a steep climb up to the hotel from the quay?
Back to top Go down
Hayzer
Hayzer

Mon Port Hotel  _
PostSubject: Re: Mon Port Hotel    Mon Port Hotel  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 5:02 pm

WirralScouse wrote:
Looks delightful Hayzer.It seems B&B terms booked through Travel Republic would be best for 3/4 day stay do you agree?I don't know it at all.Have been to PdA 3 or 4 times visiting.

Question1) Knowiing the parking problem in the resort where did you park when staying at Mon Port?
2) Can you eat well and not too expensively in restos? (I found it a very expensive place catering for the in-crowd)
3) Is it a steep climb up to the hotel from the quay?

Hi WirralScouse. There is a large car park next to the hotel which never seemed to be more than half full at any time so parking wasn't a problem. We stopped off in the resort centre a couple of times in the car and managed to get parked no problem which was just as well as our Eroski bags were heavy Embarassed .

There are a few places where you can eat relatively cheaply and reasonably well. I wouldn't say we had any great meals there but had a couple of not too bad ones. There are a few smaller restaurants just at the bridge to the marina which are reasonably priced and the food was good. One was a tapas bar and the other was a asian/spanish fusion food bar which was the one we enjoyed the best and it was the cheapest evening meal as well. WE had assorted tapas for lunch one day in the tapas bar and it was very good quality and value.

The Mon Port is in a slightly elevated area but the climb is very gentle and manageable. The best way is to go through the neighbouring hotel which involves a couple of flights of stairs and it is almost level from there. It takes about 5 minutes to walk to the marina.

DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

Mon Port Hotel  _
PostSubject: Re: Mon Port Hotel    Mon Port Hotel  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 5:59 pm

Thanks Hayzer.I know Mrs WS would like that sort of place although I haven't shown her the pix yet.She isn't coming with me to Palma Nova in Oct and later that month we are both going to stay at Casaianda's place in Andalucia.So could be a possibility for next spring.Thanks for posting.Nice for me to learn of a newly discovered possibility for us in Majorca
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Mon Port Hotel  _
PostSubject: Re: Mon Port Hotel    Mon Port Hotel  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 6:22 pm

Just read this review Hayzer thank you for letting us all know your honest experiences. We can see from the
pictures it looks a nice place.
Back to top Go down
Hayzer
Hayzer

Mon Port Hotel  _
PostSubject: Re: Mon Port Hotel    Mon Port Hotel  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 6:29 pm

Hi WS you have made me very jealous getting away twice in the near future. I was in Casaianda's neck of the woods a couple of years ago, we were staying in Nerja/Torrox Costa and had a hire car. It was Casaianda who suggested a driving route passing Lake Vinuela on the way back to the coast.
The drive past the lake and the surrounding area was great very beautiful. I often pull Cass's leg on TA about her wanting to go on holiday when she lives in a place many people would consider the perfect holiday destination.

Majorca Mad
Mark

Mon Port Hotel  _
PostSubject: Re: Mon Port Hotel    Mon Port Hotel  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 8:42 pm

It looks the biz Hayzer, nice one. Smile
Back to top Go down
WirralScouse
DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

Mon Port Hotel  _
PostSubject: Re: Mon Port Hotel    Mon Port Hotel  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 9:56 pm

This upcoming stay at Casaianda's place is partly research.My stepson and his partner have talked about getting married next August in Nerja as they have family who live out there.So I asked Cass about her place because Mrs WS and I and her younger son and his family will require accommodation for a week.Knowing what August prices are like in Nerja I thought to stay close by (we would have a hire car anyway and one is essential for that area) might be a more comfortable option at that time.I have to say I have driven this.Cass has not been at all pushy.Whilst we are certain to fulfil our October booking, the couple concerned are nowhere near making a decision on where they will be getting married next August.
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

Mon Port Hotel  _
PostSubject: Re: Mon Port Hotel    Mon Port Hotel  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 4:42 am

Well done H another fab report and the pics were brilliant, Ive got to say you pick some great places cheers

Sponsored content

Mon Port Hotel  _
PostSubject: Re: Mon Port Hotel    Mon Port Hotel  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mon Port Hotel

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: MAJORCA SECTION :: MAJORCA ACCOMMODATION / MAJORCA RESORT REVIEW SECTIONS :: ANDRATX (includes Puerto Andratx) :: PORTO ANDRATX ACCOMMODATION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com