Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Egypt, Cairo

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Egypt, Cairo _
PostSubject: Egypt, Cairo   Egypt, Cairo Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 2:17 am

The City of Cairo is situated in the northern part of Egypt.
This part of Egypt is in Africa, as Egypt also spreads into Asia. The Suez Canal is the dividing line.
Strangely the Northern part of Egypt is referred to as Lower Egypt, and the Southern end as ‘Upper’, this is due to the direction the River Nile flows in, and dates back to ancient times.
Cairo is Africa’s largest city, with a population of approx 18 million.

The airport is a major hub any many international airlines fly in and out, all day long.
Egypt, Cairo 100_0706

We took a day trip to Cairo from Sharm el Sheikh, where we had a week’s holiday. We booked the trip from the rep in our hotel reception; it was approx £140.00 pp, which included a return flight (40 minutes) an English speaking guide and a minibus, and entrance fees to all.
We visited the Citadel, Egyptian Museum, had lunch, saw the Pyramids and Sphinx, also had some side visits to a papyrus (original reed paper) factory and perfume shops.
The trip can also be done cheaper by taking an overnight minibus trip, about 7 hours I believe.
Egypt, Cairo 100_0707 Early morning approaching the Citadel, the remnants of the early smog can still be seen.

The Citadel is a centrally placed Muslim place of worship that was originally built about 1000 years ago. It holds the mosque of Mohammed Ali, also the ‘City of the Living Dead’ which is a centuries old cemetery where the tombs have been opened and the homeless sleep there alongside coffins containing dead people!
Egypt, Cairo 100_0710 Inside the mosque of Mohammed Ali

The Egyptian Museum contains Hieroglyphic slabs from the pyramids, and the treasures of Tutankhamen’s tomb. Photography wasn’t allowed so no pics, sorry to say. I’ll assure you that it was spectacular and well worth doing.

We then stopped for lunch and part of this was making and baking your own bread in a clay oven!
Egypt, Cairo 100_0717

We then drove to Giza, in the suburbs of Cairo, where the desert starts and the Pyramids are. Although Egypt has dozens of pyramids, these are the most famous ones.
Egypt, Cairo 100_0722 The sheer size of the Great Pyramid is breathtaking. Standing next to something that is 5000 years old is humbling.
Egypt, Cairo 100_0723
Part of this collection of pyramids is also the home to the Sphinx.
Egypt, Cairo 100_0725 Rumour is that the disfigurement of the facial features is due to Napoleon’s soldiers using it for target practice!
Egypt, Cairo 100_0726 There are several areas worth exploring on this site, the unearthed living quarters of the pyramid builders for instance.

Unfortunately poverty is rife in Cairo and some disturbing scenes of people actually living in dirty alleyways were noticed.
Egypt, Cairo 100_0727

The way of life in Cairo demands that, as your family’s size increases, then you simply build another storey on your house!
Egypt, Cairo 100_0715

To round the day off, the trip back to the airport at dusk resembled a dodgem ride at the fair! Cairo drivers must be the absolute worst in the world; they simply do not obey any traffic signs, markings or lights at all! We spotted one guy on a motorbike, with his approx 5 yr old son on the petrol tank legs over the handlebars, with his wife sitting side saddle on the rear cradling an 18 month old! No helmets or lights or anything!

It was a long day, 6am pick up, but we were back at the hotel 8.45 pm for the evening meal.
In my opinion it’s simply a MUST do trip.
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

Egypt, Cairo _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Cairo   Egypt, Cairo Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 2:30 am

Yes I would love to see the pyramids that must have been an awesome site hey you dont arf get round matey lol. Yet again another very interesting review many thanks ,I dont know of any other forum that has this much info on it brilliant Im just loving it

delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Egypt, Cairo _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Cairo   Egypt, Cairo Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 8:34 am

Wonderful pictures Mark with a great review. I have never seen pictures of the Pyramids like yours, It is mind boggling how it was constructed I expect many thousands died building it. I never realised Napolean's army destroyed part of it, odd things are turning up about him in Malta.
Being so close whilst on holiday has to be a must to see it.

I agree with Daryn not seen another forum like this.
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Egypt, Cairo _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Cairo   Egypt, Cairo Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 2:39 pm

Yet another great review, with the added bonus of the photo's. cheers
I always wanted to go to Cairo, as when me old dad, god rest his soul, was in the 2nd World War, he went to Cairo before ending up in Italy where he sustained his injuries., He always said that he would love to go back, but sadly he never did.
Marks review brought back memories for me, as 9 years ago for my 41st birthday, I went with my lady at the time, for a week at the Hotel Meridien Pyramids in Giza, Cairo. I will be honest, it was not a great start to the stay, as when we got to the Hotel in the early hours of the morning, we were left at Reception by our Rep. to fend for ourselves. affraid When we finally got served at about 1 in the morning, our room was quite honestly a doss house, you would not put your worst enemy in it. It was Stained, Filthy & broken furniture. Rolling Eyes Well back down to Reception, where they were most apologetic, & gave us one of their top suites, with views of the Pyramids in the background, one word Stunning. :o But to be honest, all we wanted was the room that we booked, which we finally got after a visit to the most embarassed & apologetic Hotel Manager, offering us coffee, biscuits & a personal tour of the Hotel, which to be fair was going through a major refurbishment, hence the cock up with the room. Apparently by mistake, Rolling Eyes we were sent to the wrong wing of the Hotel, which was the first phase. Well to cut a long story short, thank god I hear you cry, Embarassed the rest of the holiday in the Hotel was fantastic, as we were less than a mile or so from the actual Pyramids themselves. That for me was a major downside though, as naively probably, I didn't think that Cairo & the 21st century would be spreading so close to one of the seven wonders of the world Shocked & I thought that they would be set in a desert type environment. Embarassed As just down from the Pyramids was the sprawling city with neon signs & lights etc. affraid
Cairo itself, was a massive racetrack as Mark pointed out, a great constipation curer. Shocked Also the city was very affluent in places, & further out was one of the most poorest of places, such a culture swing. All in all I can say that I have been, unfortunately I didn't take any photo's sorry. Embarassed Like Mark, I would recommend it for all the things that he mentioned in his review earlier. But for me the stand out thing, apart from the close civilisation encroachment, was the Pyramids. How on earth were they built all those thousands of years ago, it was just totally mind boggling. cheers

Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Egypt, Cairo _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Cairo   Egypt, Cairo Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 3:08 pm

Well I glad everything went right for you in the end Mick, did you go inside the Pyramids as I understand its very claustrophobic and your on your hands and knees climbing steps ?
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Egypt, Cairo _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Cairo   Egypt, Cairo Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 3:21 pm

Unfortunately Delboy, they were closed for some reason, pointing work or something. Wink No seriously, they are spectacular from the outside, but I would have loved to have gone in & seen inside.

Admin
Daryn

Egypt, Cairo _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Cairo   Egypt, Cairo Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 3:59 pm

Yes they fascinate me and I would love to go and see them but I think its a place I wouldnt want to stay unless I had lots of cash and it wasnt gonna be my main holiday. I dont think the family would enjoy it but for me the culture and them pyramids would be mind blowing, he all these long words Im putting in thank god for spell checker hahahaha

writingbug78
Girl Power Member

Egypt, Cairo _
PostSubject: Thanks    Egypt, Cairo Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 3:26 pm

Great review Mark, we're looking at Egypt for our next holiday. Although we were looking at the Hurghada region the advice and tips you gave were brilliant. I really fancy this type of holiday though and from what I've heard it sounds amazing.
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Egypt, Cairo _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Cairo   Egypt, Cairo Icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 5:16 pm

You're welcome WB.
Any queries just ask away.
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Egypt, Cairo _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Cairo   Egypt, Cairo Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 4:27 pm

Can't believe I didn't take any pics inside the pyramids. It must have been not allowed.

They had baby tortoises on the beach btw Daryn Very Happy

Egypt, Cairo 100_0654
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Egypt, Cairo _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Cairo   Egypt, Cairo Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 5:17 pm

you could flog it to Daryn Very Happy , oh I see no reps were given for this review, rep from me clap
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Egypt, Cairo _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Cairo   Egypt, Cairo Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 5:28 pm

Mark wrote:
Can't believe I didn't take any pics inside the pyramids. It must have been not allowed.

They had baby tortoises on the beach btw Daryn Very Happy

Egypt, Cairo 100_0654
That photo of Terri was taken 3 years ago, it would probably have walked to South Shields by now mate, bonking in Daryn's back garden. wink 

lolol lolol lolol lolol 

HappyH

Egypt, Cairo _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Cairo   Egypt, Cairo Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 1:33 am

Visited the Pyramids / Sphinx when we were in Cyprus in 1992 so this brought back some memories. Cheers for that, rep added.
HH.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Egypt, Cairo _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Cairo   Egypt, Cairo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Egypt, Cairo

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: AFRICA includes Egypt :: RESORT REVIEW SECTION-
Jump to:  
How to make a forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com