Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh _
PostSubject: Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh   Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 12:59 am

The town of Sharm el Sheikh is situated on the southern end of part of Egypt known as Sinai.
This part of Egypt is in Asia, being the Eastern side of the Suez Canal.

The airport has been steadily modernised over the last decade and now handles many international flights all day long.

The town is easily reachable by road from all areas of Egypt, although the quality of the road surface, in places, will not be to UK standards, as the Sinai is a desert.
As such, rainfall is rare. In 2006, less than 25mm of rain had fallen in the previous 7 years.
Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh 100_0682
Moses supposedly received the 10 Commandments upon Mt Sinai.

Being a country populated by Arabs, pork is not served anywhere, but beef dishes are plentiful. Fish is also popular.
Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh 100_0659 Food was served outdoors some evenings
The crystal clear waters of the Red Sea are a major draw for scuba divers.
Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh 100_0694

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh 100_0695 A poisonous Lion Fish

Sharm el Sheikh Hotels are mostly 4 or 5 star self contained resorts, with their own beach and diving facilities. We stayed at the hotel Pyramisa.
Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh 100_0692

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh 100_0628

I found the Egyptian people to be friendly and dead keen to involve us in fun and games. In the evenings, there was a market town set up within the resort, and tourists would be encouraged to dress up as Bedouins etc.
Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh 100_0644

A nearby town is Naama Bay, which it is very westernised, with Starbucks and McDonalds amongst the traditional Arabic shops. Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh 100_0670

Old Sharm is another nearby town, here things are much more in keeping with the traditional way of life that has been around for centuries. Although there are many souvenir shops, Arabs shop here for essentials, and slaughtering goats and chickens on stalls set out in front of shops on the street takes place, which is an eye opener for European tourists.

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh 100_0675

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh 100_0679

Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh   Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 1:48 am

Nice one love the pics, our friends whom we normally go on holiday with went there this year but I just didnt fancy it to be honest, what time of the year did you go and what was the temperature like. Would you go back ? How did you find the food as this is one thing that put me of with the daughter being a fussy eater.
when you say although the quality of the road surface, in places, will not be to UK standards does this mean there is no pot holes lol.

Well done matey another great bit of info with photos I loved it. cheers

Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh   Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 2:24 am

We went in January and it was 24C in Sharm, but only 18 in Cairo. That was good because i'd heard thatinside the pyramids can be a bit stuffy in summer.
Warm enough to sunbathe in Sharm.
Food was ok. I did miss the old bacon sandwich by the end of the week though!
Hilarious signs meant you didn't 'really' know what you were eating anyway lol!

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh 100_0642
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh   Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 8:55 am

The hotel looks good could you walk around outside freely without being talked into buying a 12ft roll of carpet? lol!'

Enjoyed it again Mark
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh   Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 10:35 am

Once again the standard of the reviews with the attached photo's is truly remarkable, what a Forum this is turning out to be. cheers

Admin
Daryn

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh   Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 2:08 pm

Was chatting to my matey last night whom we were going to go to Sharm with but I just didnt really fancy it at all, he said it was a fab holiday, the complex was amazing and him and his son went quad biking and it was really cheap, I think he said it was about £10 for 2 hours. But here is one of the things that was putting me off, 52 degrees ,pheeeeeeeeeeeew I love the sun and warmth but for me I think that would have killed me not enjoyable at all. But I think they did get better value for there holiday than we got going to Maga.

I was also chatting to a customer that went in April and he said it was really good but if you like walking from bar to bar etc then your wasting your time, he said as soon as they were out of that complex they were pestered and he said it was far to hot even at that time of the year. He said you had to travel to the main town by taxi to get any sort of nightlife but was stung when he got there bar prices ridiculous.

But they both agreed that walking into the sea it was really warm like a bath and the fish were amazing to see, Im hoping to get Graham writing a review ,he is a member but as yet not being into computer other than booking holidays is having probs finding our posts lol. Ill have to give him some lessons.

Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh   Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 8:31 am

Walking around outside of the hotel wasn't really on, not because of any danger, more because there was nothing there to walk to! Each hotel is it's own little bubble really. Yes, the pestering is quite bad, what I found worse was having shrugged one of them off, 5 yards later the next one started, even though he had just watched me saying 'no' to the first guy!
A guide taught me to say 'la-shookram'.... it probably means i'll beat you up if you don't go away lol! but it's supposed to simply mean 'no, thank you'. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh   Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 4:16 pm

Oh look, another review i've done without any reps lol!

Soooo glad we've done Egypt and seen the pyramids.... wouldn't go anywhere near the place now Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh   Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 5:20 pm

that's because it was done and built 3000 years ago but rep from me clap 
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh   Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh Icon_minitimeTue Aug 27, 2013 5:25 pm

Mark wrote:

Soooo glad we've done Egypt and seen the pyramids.... wouldn't go anywhere near the place now Rolling Eyes
3 years on, no chance. wink 

Majorca Mad
Mark

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh   Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 11:12 am

sob sob sob 

lol! lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh   Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 1:48 pm

ohhhhhh go on then violin 

HappyH

HappyH

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh   Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 1:03 am

Mark wrote:

4 years on & I've repped it just now mate  clap 

Considering Sharm for next years holiday can you elaborate on the 'wouldn't go anywhere near the place now Rolling Eyes' please?

HH.
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh   Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh Icon_minitimeMon Aug 25, 2014 2:03 pm

Thanks for the rep HH.

I don't think Sharm is particularly dangerous to visit, however, Cairo probably isn't too good for safety still. I would check the Foreign Office website for travellers advice mate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh _
PostSubject: Re: Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh   Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Egypt, Sharm el Sheikh

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: AFRICA includes Egypt :: RESORT REVIEW SECTION-
Jump to:  
Forum free | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com