Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture _
PostSubject: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 2:53 pm

here is the famous Pelican that roamed the streets of Skala Kaloni, I watched him eat someone's sandal from the chairbed one day

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img28310

We tried to get on but he wasn't to fussy where he put his bill, hence the expression on my face

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img28410

Take that Mrs DB I hate women even more

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img28510

more to come

Last edited by delboy on Mon May 14, 2012 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Crikey - talk about up close and personal lol!

His feathers look like fleece - especially around his head . . .

Do they bite?

I think I'll take a couple of big strong rubber bands to have on hand - he might find himself muzzled if he pulled that stunt on me! lol!
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 3:20 pm

The beach was around a very large bay formed by a small inlet about a mile or 2 out, the sea bed not being subject to much tide had a weed growing in it but not as bad as it sounds. Chairbeds were just 100 dracmas and they threw in a hours pedalo ride to attract you to hire them.
This was July and hardly anybody there on the beach

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img28610

About 11:00 am one morning I saw a tornado come down the beach and literally throw the chairbeds in the air, it all happen in just seconds with no warning. The whole back row got wiped out

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img28710

The chairbed man told me it was not uncommon it was when the cold air hits a warm air stream, gutting for the chairbed lady next door who lost all her parasols

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img28810

The beach was sandy and an ok beach

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img28910

more to come
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 3:40 pm

The pedalo ride did allow me to take some pictures of the bay which you could call a massive lake

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img29010

I did see a local lad catch a fish around 10lbs from a small boat about this far out

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img29110

Our hotel was about halfway down the bay

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img29210

and the town was about a 1/2 mile away and had a square, surrounded by restaurants and other restaurants further along the beach

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img29310

more to come
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 3:59 pm

Skala Kaloni has a small harbour as well

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img29510

And several open air bars around it

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img29610

One bar use to have a happy hour, selling cocktails at half price which we tried most nights before a meal

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img29710

A young Mrs DB getting ready for the meal

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img29411

Of course you can get the usual traditional Greek meal of Pizza rolling laughing

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img29810

more to come
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 4:03 pm

I see you were even photographing the food back then DB! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 4:04 pm

Oh yes Boss rolling laughing
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 4:27 pm

We stayed at a hotel called Kaloni 2 on B&B, we never found Kaloni 1. Each room bookable had air conditioning, I noticed that it was missing in our room, "Where's the aircon", i said. "Oh you want aircon", "well yes". They had to get me a unit out of the conference room and feed it out of the window. I tell you what, it was so hot one couldn't have even slept on the beach, let alone in a room. Nice swimming pool but never used it

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img29910

some rooms had views over the bay

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img30010

We had one over the garden which was fine

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img30110

Breakfast could be eaten on the veranda

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img30210

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img30310

The hotel front

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img30410

more to come
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 4:33 pm

Ha ha ha ha mrs delboy wasn't allowed to eat the pizza until you'd snapped it even back then rolling laughing
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 4:34 pm

You don't look very comfortable perched on that railing DB . . . .

Does my bum-bag look big in this . . . Very Happy
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 4:37 pm

a man's handbag in those days Boss lol!
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 4:40 pm

Rep DB for all your hard work . . . .

Thank you!

I remember looking at Scala Kalloni and thinking that, as it appeared to be on the 'inside' of the horse - shoe, that it mightn't get good exchange of the tide. Molyvos, Petra and Anaxos are on the outside, so are exposed to the Northern Aegean.

Please don't drive Mrs DB crazy on my account though . . . affraid

Yes somewhere to put your utility bills and chocolate!
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 4:59 pm

last bit

We had an afternoon and evening in Molyvos, where Skala Kaloni is as flat as you hat, Molyvos is built on a hillside and a cliff top. We got a taxi which if I remember cost £20 return. We were dropped off by the taxi and many others were being brought in from Petra which was only a couple of £2.

We started walking up the hill to a castle

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img30610

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img30710

Mrs DB has the castle in the background

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img30510

Molyvos is like Parga Boss, there are shops and restaurants both sides of the walk up but Molyvos is much bigger, If I remember they had harbour restaurants there. However, some of the restaurants near the top overhang the cliff top and lack foundations underneath but the Greeks know what their doing don't they affraid There was even a openair cinema at the bottom of the hill.

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Img30810

We arranged to be picked up by the same Taxi driver who was happy to spend his day doing the Petra Molyvos run until we were ready to go home.

We enjoyed that day out

Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 5:08 pm

That looks like the Olive Press accommodation you can see in the background of the first of that set of photos . . .with the tall chimney.
I've seen pics of sunbeds on a very shallow pebbly beach there.

Gosh . . . it's get out the Ryvita time . . .

Tomorrow . . . or should I say . . . Avrio . . . . time to get the phrase book out again Very Happy
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 5:14 pm

Pictures were taken on a cheap kodak camera that had three setting normal size, bigger and Panarama size coy hence the different sizes
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 5:17 pm

Yes - I did wonder if Mrs DB had drunk some of Alice in Wonderlands medicine . . . .

Drink Me!

Curiouser and curiouser

lol!
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeFri Mar 09, 2012 5:20 pm

thats the stuff that Mick drinks and hids it from Daryn lol!
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 11:23 am

I didn't put this in the Greece reviews section as the photos are 12 years old, some of the scenery may have changed now. I would have thought the wasteland between our hotel and the town centre would have been built on, but who knows. It did bring back memories looking at them again. They quickly disappeared on to page two with Mick clocking up his posts, so not sure if you all had a chance to see them before they disappeared
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 11:29 am

You are just rep - begging now . . . you crafty old geezer . . . Wink

I already gave you one! lol!

Seriously, it took a lot of time to do that - thanks ever so much flowers
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 6:25 pm

no problem Boss I enjoyed digging them out and looking at them again
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 8:37 pm

Do you remember that photo . . . the one I mentioned . . . you were precariously sitting on a railing looking less than comfrotable . . .

Did your piles improve . . . .

CUE: Preparation H jokes again . . .
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 8:39 pm

I couldn't sit still in those days Boss lol!
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitimeSun Mar 11, 2012 9:06 pm

Ants in your pants mate? eek

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture   Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greece, Island of Lesvos, Skala Kalonni, Molyvos 2000 scanned in picture

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: GREECE includes Greek Islands :: RESORT REVIEW SECTION-
Jump to:  
Forum create on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com