Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Palma, Old City

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Palma, Old City  _
PostSubject: Palma, Old City    Palma, Old City  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 10:18 pm

Whilst staying in Puerto Pollensa the weather one day was not too good and Mrs Delboy and I decided to have a trip to the City of Palma, We caught the bus from the bus station at Puerto Pollensa and the fare in 2008 was a very reasonable at 11 euro’s return. Apart from a stop in the town of Pollensa the bus went nonstop to Palma and arrived within an hour. The bus station was a little way out from the city centre but a 10 minute stroll through a park led us to the train station entrance.

Crossing the road, we were soon in the old part of the city; there is a maze of streets and squares in which tourists can walk around free from traffic. Some of the architecture was stunning and one of the first buildings we came across was the Ayuntamiento of Palma de Mallorca. I believe the Council of Palma office.

Palma, Old City  P1000220

As we went deeper into the city, in my opinion some of the architecture has an Italian influence. Most of these building are private houses or museums and one can find oneself peeping in these private courtyards of the affluent,

Palma, Old City  P1000221
or wandering in to buildings with superb structures, portraying wonderful paintings. On the streets outside budding artists hang their paintings on the rails.

Palma, Old City  P1000222
Eventually we ended up at the city walls that overlook the harbour where the cruise liners are berthed. A walk takes us up some steps that lead you to the Cathedral of Mallorca.

Palma, Old City  P1000223
The cathedral of Mallorca is a Gothic style building and took 300 years to build between 14th and 17th century but a lot of the facade was rebuilt in the 19th century after an earthquake destroyed part of the front.

Palma, Old City  P1000224

Following round led us back into the narrow streets, these streets sometimes open up into large squares where sometimes restaurants had tables laid out to serve lunch or evening meals.

Palma, Old City  P1000225

We decided to have lunch and picked a restaurant across the road from the city walls. Looking at the menu the food was reasonable 7 euro’s for pasta, I could not see any beer on the list so I asked, “Yes, we have beer”, said the waiter. “Two pastas and two beer please”, I replied. When my bill came we were charged 6 euro’s each for the beers. So I gave no tip to get some satisfaction.

Finally we had a walk to the end of the road jetty to see the Liners and were then ready to return back to Puerto Pollensa, the bus was on time and we had a grand day out.

Last edited by delboy on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Palma, Old City  _
PostSubject: Re: Palma, Old City    Palma, Old City  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 10:22 pm

I had to look up some of these facts so I hope I got them right
Back to top Go down

Palma, Old City  _
PostSubject: Re: Palma, Old City    Palma, Old City  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 11:34 pm

Just a brief anecdote to add this Palma review:

I was wandering around the back streets behind the Cathedral one day and I saw an old lady who obviously lived in one of the apartments above the shops had lowered via a rope a wicker basket to the ground, and her daughter [I presume] filled it with shopping, which the old lady then winched up. They saw me watching and gave me a wave.

Just a lovely little pastiche which added to my experience of this beautiful island.
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

Palma, Old City  _
PostSubject: Re: Palma, Old City    Palma, Old City  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 10:30 am

cheers Brilliant yet again you have done another fantastic review

Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Palma, Old City  _
PostSubject: Re: Palma, Old City    Palma, Old City  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 12:06 pm

Another absolutely fabulous story of your time in Mallorca delboy, long may they continue. Also your little story Silvertyne of the old lady & her wicker basket brilliant.

ALL ROUND DESTINATION EXPERT
Hayzer

Palma, Old City  _
PostSubject: Re: Palma, Old City    Palma, Old City  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 1:57 pm

I love Palma and have stayed there for 3 days on 2 occasions, both time staying in the heart of the old town.
It is well worth spending a couple of days there, I think you never really get the feel of a place unless you stay there and Palma really is at it's best later in the day when things quieten down and the day trippers are heading home.

I often think Palma is similar to Barcelona in many ways just much smaller and compact with lots of modernist architecture and tree lined boulevards.

On our first trip there we just strolled the streets and chose restaurants from browsing menus, not a good idea. None of the restaurants we chose were very good especially given the prices we charged. Last time we were there we had researched restaurants and had some recommendations and they were all great.

Palma, Old City  Cimg0410

Paseo de Sagrera (I think)

Palma, Old City  Cimg0412

Forn des Teatre which is Palma's oldest baker

Entertainers in Plaza Mayor

Palma, Old City  Cimg0413

Palma, Old City  P1030710

Palma, Old City  Cimg0414

The famous olive tree in Palma

Palma, Old City  P1030610

A picture ??? Embarassed

Palma, Old City  Cimg0415

Calle Almundiana one of the narrow streets in the old town and the street our hotel was on

Admin
Daryn

Palma, Old City  _
PostSubject: Re: Palma, Old City    Palma, Old City  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 2:18 pm

Great Pics H ,we have only been there at daytime but Debbie said she would like to go at night and just browse the shops and have a drink or 2 ,do you know of the best part of Palma is for this

Hayzer
Hayzer

Palma, Old City  _
PostSubject: Re: Palma, Old City    Palma, Old City  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 2:54 pm

According to Mrs H Passeig des Born is the best but the shops are very expensive designer shops, Avinguda Jaume III is also supposed to be good and the streets around Placa Major has lots of little interesting shops.

Admin
Daryn

Palma, Old City  _
PostSubject: Re: Palma, Old City    Palma, Old City  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 3:35 pm

Thank Mrs H for me ,I dont mind expensive shops Im only gonna let her look lol

Hayzer
Hayzer

Palma, Old City  _
PostSubject: Re: Palma, Old City    Palma, Old City  Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 4:32 pm

El Corte Inglés which is a large department store always seems to be popular with people who shop Rolling Eyes

Palma, Old City  _
PostSubject: Re: Palma, Old City    Palma, Old City  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Palma, Old City

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: MAJORCA SECTION :: MAJORCA ACCOMMODATION / MAJORCA RESORT REVIEW SECTIONS :: PALMA :: PALMA RESORT-
Jump to:  
Forum create on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com