Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Es Turo Hotel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hayzer
ALL ROUND DESTINATION EXPERT
Hayzer

Es Turo Hotel _
PostSubject: Es Turo Hotel   Es Turo Hotel Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 10:12 pm

Es Turo, Ses Salines

Over the years on our holidays to Mallorca we have tried to see a different part of the island every year and we had never been down in the South East corner so we decided to spend some time there this year. After the usual endless research we plumped for Es Turo which is just outside the town of Ses Salines. It looked like a very nice peaceful hotel and for that type of hotel it was relatively reasonably priced.

Es Turo is a small agrotourism type hotel and restaurant a couple of miles outside the small town of Ses Salines in the South East corner of Mallorca. The area has some of the best beaches on the island with both Es Trenc and Cala Mondrago being just a short drive away. A car is pretty much essential if you are staying here as public transport and transfers are non existent here.

The hotel is a former Finca that has been converted into a ten room hotel and restaurant. There is no real reception as such and it is just a case of any member of staff will check you in. To be honest checking in was a case of someone asking if I was Mr H and handing us the key to our room. Our room was unusual in the fact it had a sun room built on the front which looked very nice but was much too hot to be useable most of the day, even after dark it retained so much heat even with the large sliding windows fully open. The bedroom was a bit on the dark side and rather basically furnished in a somewhat twee old fashioned style. There was a TV but unfortunately no fridge or mini-bar to keep things cool. The bathroom was a bit basic and on the small side as well with the dreaded shower curtain. There was air conditioning in the bedroom which worked well but didn’t seem to allow you to choose a temperature at which to keep the room. If left on all night it was too cold and if you didn’t use it, it was too hot. The TV had only one channel in English that being BBC World. We had a terrace area outside our room with a table and chairs which we used quite a lot. Unfortunately the Wi-Fi signal did not reach our room and I had to have a seat closer to the main building to get a signal. According to Mrs H the hairdryer was not much use (not a problem for me).

We found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful but its worth noting most of then do not speak English most can speak German as their clientele seemed to be mostly German or mainland Spanish. If you are not comfortable with trying to speak a little basic Spanish I would say Es Turo was not for you. Indeed only one member of staff speaks English and she was on days off for the first 2 days of our stay. We were staying on a room only basis but had breakfast there on 2 days during our stay. The breakfast was nice enough but a bit on the basic side. There was a small selection of bread and a toaster if you wanted it toasted, croissants, a few cheeses and cold meats a very limited selection of fruit cereals and yoghurt. On the plus side the fresh orange juice was great and the coffee was very good quality. We had lunch there a couple of times and the food was tasty and not too expensive. The restaurant is open to the public and in the evenings there were a few tables of non residents to be found. We ate there three out of our 4 nights there. There was a fairly limited selection on the a la carte restaurant but residents had the option to choose from a fixed 3 course menu. Of the day but it had to be ordered by mid afternoon if you wanted it. The first 2 nights we ate from the a la carte which was OK but not very inspiring, it was only on the third night when we had a waitress who spoke English that we found out that there were a couple of local house specialities most nights but we had not been made aware of this due to the waitresses not speaking English. The specials were much better than the somewhat bland offerings on the a la carte.

The pool and garden areas were very nice and were never crowded, as with many small hotels like this people are out during the day and the pool is often very quiet.
The beds round the pool are double beds and have a shade canopy on them. These beds were probably the most comfortable sun beds we have ever used. The pool was nice enough but it didn’t look very well cleaned there seemed to be a lot of dead insects and other bits floating in there most of the time. Unfortunately the peace and quiet at the hotel was ruined for uson a couple of days by a couple with 2 young kids who were among the noisiest I have ever come across.

We had a lunch and an evening meal in Ses Salines which has a small selection of places to eat. Ses Salines is a nice small town to have a wander round, it is not a tourist trap like some other Mallorcan towns and it feels a bit more authentic for it.

We are not beach people and I am embarrassed to say we didn’t visit any of the beaches so can’t really comment.

Now I realise I haven’t really painted a very positive picture of Es Turo but despite that we really enjoyed our stay there. In short Es Turo delivers an experience much more than the sum of its parts. It is very relaxing and informal and the time we had there passed far too quickly.

The sun room

Es Turo Hotel P1000191

Es Turo Hotel P1000195

Our bedroom

Es Turo Hotel P1000192

Es Turo Hotel P1000193

Es Turo Hotel P1000194

The terrace outside our room

Es Turo Hotel P1000196

The hotel grounds and pool

Es Turo Hotel P1000202

Es Turo Hotel P1000203

Es Turo Hotel P1000204

Es Turo Hotel P1000205

Es Turo Hotel P1000206

Es Turo Hotel P1000207

Es Turo Hotel P1000216

Es Turo Hotel P1000208

Es Turo Hotel P1000200

Es Turo Hotel P1000201

Es Turo Hotel P1000209

Es Turo Hotel P1000210

Es Turo Hotel P1000212

Es Turo Hotel P1000213

Es Turo Hotel P1000222

Es Turo Hotel P1000223

Es Turo Hotel P1000225

Es Turo Hotel P1000229

The view toward Ses Salines

Es Turo Hotel P1000215

Es Turo Hotel P1000199

Last edited by Hayzer on Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WirralScouse
DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

Es Turo Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Es Turo Hotel   Es Turo Hotel Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 11:18 pm

Fab review H.Lovely snaps too especially the sunset shot.Since seeing your reviews of these finca type places I am attracted to them.Of those I have seen you review I think Finca Es Castell,Binibona might suit us best.Is Es Turo in the same league?
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Es Turo Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Es Turo Hotel   Es Turo Hotel Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 11:45 pm

Great that you found your photo's again H. :-bd:

Hayzer

Es Turo Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Es Turo Hotel   Es Turo Hotel Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 11:47 pm

Hi WS

While we really enjoyed Es Turo Finca es Castell is definitely the better of the two. The food at Es Castell really is top class restaurant standard and is served in one of the most spectacular settings.

Es Turo is a bit more isolated as well, Es Castell is only 10 minutes drive from Inca if you get bored.

James at Es Castell has a very nice collection of wine in his cellar Wink

Last edited by Hayzer on Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Es Turo Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Es Turo Hotel   Es Turo Hotel Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 11:52 pm

Hayzer wrote:

Hi WS

While we really enjoyed Es Turo Finca es Castell is definitely the better of the two. The food at Es Castell really is cop class restaurant standard and is served in one of the most spectacular settings.

Es Turo is a bit more isolated as well, Es Castell is only 10 minutes drive from Inca if you get bored.

James at Es Castell has a very nice collection of wine in his cellar Wink

Is it run by the Guardia Civil H? wink

Hayzer

Es Turo Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Es Turo Hotel   Es Turo Hotel Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 11:54 pm

Embarassed Embarassed

DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

Es Turo Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Es Turo Hotel   Es Turo Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 12:00 am

Thanx H.It's what I thought.A week might be too long at Es Castell but for say 5 days chill should be OK.Like the sound of the evening meals too.As for James' cellar-a bottle of Jose Ferrer Binissalem red will do me just fine.Resto Stay in Pto Pollensa sells a good choice of indigenous Majorcan wines.
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Es Turo Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Es Turo Hotel   Es Turo Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 8:00 am

yes it looks good in your pictures H but if it gets too hot or too cold it does become a nuisance. The beds around the pool look inviting but if I fell asleep I would get some prods from Mrs DB Sleep Sleep

at least I would drown out the kids lol!
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Es Turo Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Es Turo Hotel   Es Turo Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 9:00 am

A valuable insight into what else is available on majorca, than the more regular breaks that we all take. :-bd:
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Es Turo Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Es Turo Hotel   Es Turo Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 9:15 am

A nice almost get away from the crowd type place. You might need that in October H. wink

Hayzer

Es Turo Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Es Turo Hotel   Es Turo Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 6:20 pm

WirralScouse wrote:
Thanx H.It's what I thought.A week might be too long at Es Castell but for say 5 days chill should be OK.Like the sound of the evening meals too.As for James' cellar-a bottle of Jose Ferrer Binissalem red will do me just fine.Resto Stay in Pto Pollensa sells a good choice of indigenous Majorcan wines.

I reckon 5 days would be fine WS, depends how restless you get. I remember when we had Mrs H's parents with us they thought it would be too quiet for them but in the end they loved it, even gave up the chance to go to the market at Inca because they were perfectly happy to stay there.

I think the house wines are from here http://www.pereseda.com/

Girl Power Member
roamer

Es Turo Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Es Turo Hotel   Es Turo Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 7:01 pm

It looks really lovely. Shame about the children. It definately looks like a place to chill.
Back to top Go down
http://fiona-king.co.uk
Hayzer
Hayzer

Es Turo Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Es Turo Hotel   Es Turo Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 7:17 pm

roamer wrote:
It looks really lovely. Shame about the children. It definately looks like a place to chill.

It was only really on 2 days out of 4 so wasn't too bad but I just wonder what the parents are thinking when they book a place like this when they have a couple of screaming machines.

Admin
Daryn

Es Turo Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Es Turo Hotel   Es Turo Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 9:29 pm

Thats fantastic, great pics looks lovely. Wish I could stay somewhere like that and just chill but I cant keep still lol.

Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Es Turo Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Es Turo Hotel   Es Turo Hotel Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2011 8:35 am

That is because you are hyperactive mate. wink

Es Turo Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Es Turo Hotel   Es Turo Hotel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Es Turo Hotel

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: MAJORCA SECTION :: MAJORCA ACCOMMODATION / MAJORCA RESORT REVIEW SECTIONS :: SES SALINES :: SES SALINES ACCOMMODATION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com