Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Brussels

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
roamer
Girl Power Member
roamer

Brussels _
PostSubject: Brussels   Brussels Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 12:08 pm

Thought I'd have a go at posting about our short trip to Brussels as I'm getting the hang of it now. We traveled on Euro star and booked a 2 star hotel called the Queen Anne. We travelled to St Pancreas by train after getting some very good deals on trainline. I think we paid about £10 each way. The Euro star was on time with no delays on route. We made our way to Rogier metro station after researching which one was best for our Hotel. We managed to work out that a three day metro ticket was a good buy so we purchased one before leaving for Rogier.(We even mastered how to ask for it in french while in the queue although we bottled it and ended up asking in English. Luckily most of the locals spoke good English as we were so pathetic. We felt a bit overwhelmed on arrival not sure of where to go but after only a few minutes of looking like a tourist we got a grip and located some streets on the map. It turned out the Hotel was very close, you could almost see it from the metro station.

The Hotel was quirky with some modern art. The lift had carpeted walls and no doors but it made us smile. The room was small but clean and the breakfast was continental but with bacon and scrambled egg if you wanted it. Overall the hotel was ideal if you were intending to be sightseeing all day as we were.

Close to us was the grand place. A lovely square with cafes and chocolate shops galore. One evening we were sitting outside the Hagen das Cafe eating icecream and waffles in our shirt sleeves (end of september) We had been warned that it rained alot in Brussels but the temperature remained in the 20's throughtout our stay.

Brussels DSCN0686

Brussels DSCN0689

We visited the Atomium. You could also see Mini Europe for a reduced price if you visited both. We decide to view mini Europe from inside the atomium

Brussels DSCN0670
Brussels DSCN0683
Brussels DSCN0674

The food was pretty good. My hubby tried the national dish of mussels and chips. He was eating mussels for what seemed like ages. The choice of restraunants was extensive, we had a hard job deciding where to eat most evenings. We were also able to sit outside for a drink in the evenings. Smoking is still allowed in some bars which we found strange. How quickly we adjust to change. The beers came in large glasses. I can't remember cost very well but I think prices in the city were quite high.

Brussels DSCN0701
On another day we visited the European quarter. It was the newer side of the City but equally as impressive as the old city in many respects

Brussels DSCN0691
Brussels DSCN0692

We also visited a history museum in this area. There were many museums to visit. We had lunch in the park from a kiosk advertised as selling Brussels finest fish and chips. They were very good especially as it was such a beautiful day.

Parc du Cinquantenaire. (we never did find out what the Arc de triumph was really called)

Brussels DSCN0696

This is Manninquine Pis quite close to the Grand Place.
Brussels DSCN0690-1
Overall another good break. We were very lucky with the weather but there seemed to be lots of things to visit indoors if the rain came. I spent a lot of time in the chocolate shops!! We did look for the beer museum but failed to find it.

Last edited by roamer on Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://fiona-king.co.uk
beeech
Lil 'ol wine drinker
beeech

Brussels _
PostSubject: Re: Brussels   Brussels Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 12:54 pm

Fab review and pics again ! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
NannyJen
Girl Power Member

Brussels _
PostSubject: Re: Brussels   Brussels Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 1:04 pm

Really enjoyed reading your review & the photos are great. Thanks. Smile

Back to top Go down
DadsBarmy

DadsBarmy

Brussels _
PostSubject: Re: Brussels   Brussels Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 1:12 pm

Hi Roamer, about 30 years ago I was a member of a Morris and Rapper dancing group (a part of my colourful past)
we stayed at the Queen Anns and one night they had to call out the fire brigade to rescue 11 of us from the lift which apparently
was only supposed to hold 5 maximum, it was probably after this that they carpeted the walls.
As a Morris dancing group we had no problem finding the Beer museum (from a hazy memory it was only about a 10 minute
walk from the hotel) and you can only imagine what a group of drunken Morris Men dressed in all their finery
of Top hats, ribbons and bells brandishing their whacking sticks made of the Manninquine Pis. well we all thought we would make a better statue and
the poor armed policeman with his gun out of its holster didn't quite know what to do when three of us had Diplomatic Passports.
I never have been back although it was a very interesting city
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Brussels _
PostSubject: Re: Brussels   Brussels Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 1:13 pm

Yes great stuff Roamer Very Happy
Back to top Go down
roamer
Girl Power Member
roamer

Brussels _
PostSubject: Re: Brussels   Brussels Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 1:24 pm

DadsBarmy wrote:
Hi Roamer, about 30 years ago I was a member of a Morris and Rapper dancing group (a part of my colourful past)
we stayed at the Queen Anns and one night they had to call out the fire brigade to rescue 11 of us from the lift which apparently
was only supposed to hold 5 maximum, it was probably after this that they carpeted the walls.
As a Morris dancing group we had no problem finding the Beer museum (from a hazy memory it was only about a 10 minute
walk from the hotel) and you can only imagine what a group of drunken Morris Men dressed in all their finery
of Top hats, ribbons and bells brandishing their whacking sticks made of the Manninquine Pis. well we all thought we would make a better statue and
the poor armed policeman with his gun out of its holster didn't quite know what to do when three of us had Diplomatic Passports.

Great story. That was one small carpeted lift, I cannot begin to imagine how 11 morris dancers squeezed in Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://fiona-king.co.uk
beeech
Lil 'ol wine drinker
beeech

Brussels _
PostSubject: Re: Brussels   Brussels Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 1:59 pm

DadsBarmy wrote:

It is that 'cos you're not allowed DB ? smile

Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Brussels _
PostSubject: Re: Brussels   Brussels Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 2:39 pm

Really enjoyed your review & photo's Roamer. I stayed there a number of years ago, as me & a few mates went to the now long gone Weize (I kid you not) Beer Festival, outside of Brussels. I always remember at the festival, having chicken & chips, which was plastered in salt, to make you drink more. Also the floor was awash with beer, when the oompah type songs got going.

Admin
Daryn

Brussels _
PostSubject: Re: Brussels   Brussels Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 2:56 pm

Fantastic roamer you are getting the hang of it now, very well put together. The photos are of really good qaulity

WirralScouse
DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

Brussels _
PostSubject: Re: Brussels   Brussels Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 2:58 pm

Yes a very interesting trip report especially for someone like me who hasn't been to Brussels.Excellent photos,remarkable clarity.Thanks for posting.
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Brussels _
PostSubject: Re: Brussels   Brussels Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 3:55 pm

Thanks for the review Roamer that was excellent and already stirring great interest to us all on here
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brussels _
PostSubject: Re: Brussels   Brussels Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brussels

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: BELGIUM :: RESORT REVIEW SECTION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com