Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Capdepera, (Afternoon trip)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Langtoun Lass

Langtoun Lass

Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) _
PostSubject: Capdepera, (Afternoon trip)   Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 9:58 pm

Capdepera is an historical village 8 km from Arta in the North East of Mallorca. The village is dominated by Castell de Capdepera. On this site artefacts from the Roman and Moslem occupation have been found. The Numis Tower was the only part of the present castle standing when the Christians took the Island in 1229. It was in this tower in 1231 that King Jaume I signed the Capdepra Treaty, a peace treaty with the Moslems of Minorca. This document is considered the oldest known peace treaty (unfortunately, it is held in The French National Library, Paris). As a result of continuing Saracen Invasions Jaume commanded that the area around the tower was to be heavily fortified. The Walls and Church of San Joan were completed in the fourteenth century. The guard house, vicarage, and Governor's house within in the walls were in use until 1856 when the castle was sold to private owners. It was bought buy the Town Council in 1983. The Castle is open to visitors year round. Admission is 2 euro.

Last October my parents and I spent a very enjoyable couple of hours in Capdeppera. The town, built around the castle is popular with German visitors, being close to Cala Rajada. In the town square we had the best value lunch of our holiday, bocadillos and drinks came with salad, fries olives and pickles for 22 euro. For those who like to know such things the square is a wii fi zone.
There is an excellent tourist information office just where I have taken the photo from.

Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Dscf1011

The castle is reached by stone steps at the end of this street just off the square

Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Dscf1012

View from the top of the steps

Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Dscf1013

Inside the castle walls

Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Dscf1014

View to Cala Rajada

Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Dscf1015

Numis Tower from the roof of the Church of San Joan

Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Dscf1016

Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Dscf1017

Plaque to honour the Treaty of Capdepera

Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Dscf1018

View towards town

Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Dscf1019

Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Dscf1020

Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Capdepera, (Afternoon trip)   Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 10:00 pm

Great review & photo's LL.

Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Capdepera, (Afternoon trip)   Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 10:02 pm

Wah Hey! You're up and running now LL... great stuff Very Happy
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Capdepera, (Afternoon trip)   Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 11:02 pm

That's excellent LL and so informative and great pictures on a dull day, thanks
Back to top Go down
Hayzer
ALL ROUND DESTINATION EXPERT
Hayzer

PostSubject: Re: Capdepera, (Afternoon trip)   Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 09, 2011 7:54 am

Thanks for sharing that LL, when we stay in the North of Mallorca one of my favourite drives is from Puerto Pollensa to Cala Ratjada stopping of at Arta for refreshments. I have driven past the road leading to Capdepera many times but have never visited the village. I must remedy that next time we are in the area.

Langtoun Lass

PostSubject: Re: Capdepera, (Afternoon trip)   Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 3:52 pm

Arta is our favourite stop off too, for a quick coffee and to consult the map (my Dad was a cartographer in the Ordnance Survey Corps, so no Sat Nav for us, lets just say though that Spanish maps can be interesting???)
For anyone visiting the area surrounding Arta, there is another point of interest just to the south east of the town.
Ses Paisse is a Talayotic settlement. It is a reasonably well preserved and partially excavated example of a bronze age settlement.
It is built on a small hill side, beside a torrent and fresh water spring.
The site was home to a thriving community, who were amongst the first settlers of Mallorca.
It was inhabited from approx 950BC to the Roman occupation it the 1st century AD.
The photos below don't do the site justice, as I was unable to capture the site in it's entirety. However it is interesting to note that the periferal wall and main entrance to the Talayot is still in good repair after almost 3000 years.

Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Dscf1021

Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Dscf1022

Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Dscf1023

Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Dscf1118

Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Dscf1119

Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: Capdepera, (Afternoon trip)   Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 5:23 pm

Ohhhhhhhh what a little gem I didnt see this one ,well done Langtoun Lass its brilliant and looks like true traditional Spain

Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Capdepera, (Afternoon trip)   Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 5:27 pm

Another great review with brilliant accompanying photo's LL.

Ca rater Mallorqui

PostSubject: Re: Capdepera, (Afternoon trip)   Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 9:05 pm

Our first two hols to Mallorca were based at Cala Bona, Kids Just 7 months and age two at the time.

As it got too hot for them in the afternoons we would bundle them in the AC car and do some sight driving!!

One day we stumbled on Capdepera (The two year old loved the tunnel!!)

I have photos in the same areas pushing two push chairs!!

If I get chance I will scan them (old stylee pics) and put them on here. Mallorca is just so diverse.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Capdepera, (Afternoon trip)   Capdepera, (Afternoon trip) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Capdepera, (Afternoon trip)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: MAJORCA SECTION :: MAJORCA ACCOMMODATION / MAJORCA RESORT REVIEW SECTIONS :: CAPDEPERA :: CAPDEPERA RESORT-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com