Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) _
PostSubject: Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview)   Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 7:17 pm

We hired a car and travelled most of the Island of Fuerteventura. Having been to all of the other Canary Islands I have to say that Fuerteventura perhaps offers the least of them all, inasmuch as spectacular volcanoes and landscapes.

Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) 100_0884

Yes, there is scenery, it’s just not quite as spectacular as in what’s to offer on the other Islands, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview)   Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 7:18 pm

One of the main tourist Towns is Caleta de Fuste, which lies on the East coast, about 10 miles south of the Capital, Puerto Del Rosario. The airport is slightly South of PDR.

Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) 100_0913

Caleta de Fuste has the backdrop of a Mount, not particularly high at approx 300 metres, the above photo was taken from the top of this Mount. The view to the left, looking Northwards, has quite a spectacular panorama.

Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) 100_0910

CdR is a fairly typical tourist town with shops and beach.

Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) 100_0902

This area of the island has had perhaps the highest financial investment in recent years, with large shopping malls, golf courses, timeshares, and all the major upper brand hotel chains such as Hilton & Marriot.
Moving inland, there is a town strangely named Antigua, which was at one point the island Capital.

Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) 100_0915

Another town we took in on our diagonal journey to the West side was Tetir, which had a centuries old quaint church in the middle of the town square.

Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) 100_0917

Although we toured through many small towns and villages, they were all unremarkable apart from hosting a backdrop of a rather high extinct volcano.

Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) 100_1716

We eventually arrived at El Cotillo on the North west corner. This side of the island has a more unspoilt and rugged appearance.

Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) 100_1710

Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) 100_1709

El Cotillo has a small harbour, overlooked by the remains of a small fort, used to warn of incoming pirates. It appears to have had the same architect as the one that Delboy took a picture of in Lanzarote!

Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) 100_0871

Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) 100_0878

We took the back roads through to La Olivia, and headed once more to the vastness of the dunes of the National Park of El Jable, where we came across a virtually deserted beach, we later found out this was called ‘drop down beach’ by the locals because… errr... it ‘drops down’ from the road!

Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) 100_1723

It would be a shame to visit the Island and not have a drive around, but there’s more of a variety of views on the other Canarian Islands in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview)   Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 7:23 pm

Your reviews are very honest mate, as I said earlier, with fantastic photo's. cheers

ALL ROUND DESTINATION EXPERT
Hayzer

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview)   Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) Icon_minitimeSun Jan 30, 2011 7:25 pm

Thanks for sharing that Mark, great pictures cheers

Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview)   Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 9:15 am

CDF looks the place with both town and beach and would appeal to us more as I don't use a car abroad. We don't mind a
walk just as long as it not too far. Like most of the Canaries scenery is not that inspiring but good for short haul sun.

Thanks for taking the trouble to keep us all informed, between us all, we have captured most of the Canaries on the forum.
Back to top Go down
HappyH

HappyH

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview)   Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2015 12:27 am

Cheers for this Mark, rep added. Booked up Caleta De Fuste for a week in Oct, going AI to Suite Hotel Castillo San Jorge & Antigua, reviews look positive. Pay on arrival at hotel too hopefully the Euro stays on it's upward trajectory.
Cheers (all) for the advice here & the other threads.
207 days to go wave
HH.
Back to top Go down
4thforum

4thforum

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview)   Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2015 8:58 am

Rep from me as well Mark!
Well done.
Back to top Go down
HappyH

HappyH

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview)   Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 8:58 pm

Thought I'd add something to this thread after our recent week in Fuerteventura. Had a car for the week did 450km in 5 days then parked it up. Was a diesel Citroen Berlingo & the fuel tank had only just dropped to half full when we returned it. One not very happy Scotsman as the tank of fuel was pre-paid No  affraid  Wink
Stayed in Caleta De Fuste would definitely recommend this resort, plenty of choice in bars/restaurants, clean, nice beach, reasonably flat, taxi from the airport approx. 15 euros. Market (African) on Tue & Sat morning.
Day trips to 1/ El Cotillo
ours was mainly for a Segway excursion but El Cotillo (as Mark already said) is very picturesque. Would definitely recommend the Segway trip we did. 35 euros for 90 mins is pretty decent value. Scenery was magnificent & the guide/owner Alex was excellent. Think we covered just under 20km on TOUR Nº 4: MIX TOUR (Lighthouse Tour + Fishing Village & Toston Tower Tour). Big thumbs-up from us clap
view & the Segway 3
Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) Segway%20view_zpspe2yjrzg
Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) The%20Segway%203_zpsa4ttkunj

2/ Betancuria - Morro Velosa statues
Visited Betancuria as my wife likes old churches. This one was ok but we arrived about 12:10 & the lady taking the entrance fee of 1.5 euros warned us it closed at 12:30 but we'd have enough time to view it? Realised then we were probably expecting too much.
The Morro Velosa statues we found very impressive though & magnificent views overlooking the Parque Natural Betancuria.
Morro Velosa statues (left a human or 2 in the picture for scale)
Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) Morro%20Velosa%20statues_zps5ki7nkqx
& views
Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) Parque%20Rural%20Betancuria_zpskttdcfrq
Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) Morro%20Velosa%20view_zpsysj9xxep

3/ Jandia beaches. 9 mile stretch of beaches allegedly, beautiful white sandy beaches if you like that sort of thing & your son doesn't lose his phone somewhere on it Evil or Very Mad (no we didn't find it)

4/ Corralejo & dunes. Wasn't too impressed by Corralejo (we virtually tossed up whether to stay in CDF or Corralejo I'm glad we chose CDF) & it was VERY windy when we visited the dunes. I stayed in the car, my family went out to take some photos & the kids said it was the worst thing they did on holiday, virtually getting shot-blasted by the sand  Shocked

We'd been to Costa Calma years ago & didn't see much of the island but overall we really like Fuerteventura, seems laidback no over-selling anywhere, restaurant/bars let you choose if you want to go in, no coercion. Definitely my/our favourite Canary Island, Gran Canaria a close second.

HH.
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview)   Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2015 9:01 pm

Nice update & photo's HH, another rep from me mate. clap clap

Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview)   Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 12:13 am

Well done mate, another rep Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview)   Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 4:28 am

Great I will have to rep both of you, cant remember you posting the original one Mark.

Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview)   Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 5:08 pm

roll eyes

Oh there's loads of ones I've done you've not repped me on, might as well just give me 10 reps on all of them mate Thumsup lol! Devil
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview)   Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2015 6:23 pm

Mark wrote:
roll eyes

Oh there's loads of ones I've done you've not repped me on, might as well just give me 10 reps on all of them mate Thumsup lol! Devil

Begging again, you are stealing my thunder Mark. roll eyes

lolol lolol lolol lolol

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview)   Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Canary Islands, Fuerteventura, (Overview)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: CANARY ISLANDS :: RESORT REVIEW SECTION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | Nature and Escape | Tourism | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com