Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

transport direct to resorts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chelsearo

transport direct to resorts  _
PostSubject: transport direct to resorts    transport direct to resorts  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2017 9:31 am

This is from the bulletin, I did see it on a couple of other FB pages yesterday, now I think its a good thing giving more choice for tourist, we would probably get the bus when we land (depending on cost) but taxi it back as timings are a bit more crucial.

Other comments I saw were from locals that work at the airports and surrounding, they also thought it was a good thing and really were slagging the taxi drivers off.

"Regional transport minister Marc Pons has announced that the government intends creating bus services which directly connect Palma airport with the main tourism centres on the island.

Pons says that these services are expected to start in May. They will run throughout the main season, i.e. up to October. The government is currently negotiating with bus companies regarding five routes: Alcudia/Can Picafort; Cala d'Or/Porto Petro; Cala Millor; Magalluf; Santa Ponsa. The services will run every hour or ninety minutes, and it is anticipated that more than a million passengers will use them.

"We need to be making changes in order to keep ahead." Pons pointed out that the bus routes will improve services for tourists, who at present have to rely on transfer services, taxis and hire cars.

And taxi drivers have reacted by announcing that there will be protests. The Balearic Taxi Association says the bus services will harm taxi drivers and around 2,000 families, while benefiting foreign transport companies. One of these would probably be the UK's Arriva, which is a subsidiary of Deutsche Bahn. Autocares Mallorca is an Arriva company."
"
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: transport direct to resorts    transport direct to resorts  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2017 11:09 am

Good news for tourists bad news for those taxi drivers that pay a fortune to stay on the roads as I know but mind we do give a massive discount for airport transfers from our home town at a fixed price of £26 for a 17 mile journey that one pick up point not several lol so a huge saving for tourists this end.

I think the taxi trade needs to wake up on the Island and move forward. Basically the days of the tourist trap has now gone. If the taxi drivers cut the prices and give a fixed price they would be driving non stop every day. I wouldnt bother with transfer companies if I knew I could jump in a taxi to maga for £26 each way.

chelsearo

PostSubject: Re: transport direct to resorts    transport direct to resorts  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2017 11:22 am

Daryn, a lot of the locals were saying it is such a rip off using the taxi, so the locals think its a good thing.

As we all only use them a handful of times a year, it doesn't matter too much but if you rely on them to get you to work then its another matter.

I will have to see how much it costs, if it costs 10 euro per person, we will just hop in a cab anyway!

Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: transport direct to resorts    transport direct to resorts  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2017 12:23 pm

yep the taxis are expensive much more than here.

The problem you have is when at peak times their is that much traffic on the roads heading in and out of Palma your stuck with the meter ticking over, thats why the offices in my home town all started the £26 but mind when its busy in and out with traffic you lose out big style. Meter fare is around £33 plus we have to pay a £1 to get out of the car park so they get a good deal. I wont do it peak times lose out far too much but any other time of the day or night I dont mind

chelsearo

PostSubject: Re: transport direct to resorts    transport direct to resorts  Icon_minitimeFri Jan 13, 2017 9:16 am

in the bulletin today the taxi drivers are planning to protest.

No surprise there, but I have to say surely for an Island that relies totally on tourism, bus routes direct to certain resorts should be a given?
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: transport direct to resorts    transport direct to resorts  Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2017 12:01 am

I agree Ro, sounds like a good idea to me.
Back to top Go down
chelsearo

PostSubject: Re: transport direct to resorts    transport direct to resorts  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2017 9:16 am

looks like they do plan to strike........

http://majorcadailybulletin.com/news/local/2017/01/31/46796/taxi-drivers-planning-bring-roads-standstill.html
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: transport direct to resorts    transport direct to resorts  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2017 1:31 pm

Oh crikey, I remember when taxi drivers went on strike once before, private companies were taking the work when they went on strike but ended up being targeted, slashed tyres, smashed windscreens etc.

But dont they realise this will impact them alot if word gets out, people wont go there of fear of being stuck at the airport.

Mind it might help bring the cost of accommodation down for October clap

chelsearo

PostSubject: Re: transport direct to resorts    transport direct to resorts  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2017 1:42 pm

Doubt it will do them much good eh?
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: transport direct to resorts    transport direct to resorts  Icon_minitimeTue May 02, 2017 11:52 pm

The bus service starts tomorrow, it's €5.50 pp to Palmanova/Magaluf, €7 pp to Santa Ponsa.

Here's the timetable:

https://www.tib.org/portal/documents/10286/383034/LA11%2C%20des%20de%202017.05.03.pdf

Just 30 mins from airport to Palmanova, - I would give this serious consideration. €22 round trip for 2 people, cheapest transfer taxi is €76 return.

I have pre booked for my up coming trip but would try it otherwise.
Back to top Go down
chelsearo

PostSubject: Re: transport direct to resorts    transport direct to resorts  Icon_minitimeWed May 03, 2017 9:33 am

Mark, I saw this, worth knowing if you are travelling light.

I often meet up with Sarah and the kids as they fly out before me so it is a great option!
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: transport direct to resorts    transport direct to resorts  Icon_minitimeWed May 03, 2017 6:11 pm

I would deffo do it Ro if I was travelling solo, the difference between this and the Hoppa type service is that the bus leaves to a timetable.
When I did the Hoppa once (return to the airport) it was stopping at hotels and people wern't ready, the driver was going into reception and waiting for them, it was a disaster, never again.
Whereas the bus will just drive off if there's no-one at the bus stop, suits me fine! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chelsearo

PostSubject: Re: transport direct to resorts    transport direct to resorts  Icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2017 9:00 am

yea Mark, good point.

I think I would use it from the airport to SP only and not the other way round, if the bus comes and its full, you would have to wait an hour for the next one and if you need to catch a flight, the old stress levels would rise eh?!
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: transport direct to resorts    transport direct to resorts  Icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2017 7:54 pm

Yes that's also what I was thinking Ro. But you could still catch the regular bus (if doing the return trip to the airport) to Palma Central and change buses. I think the airport bus from the main station runs every 15 mins. But I'm also assuming that the new buses are going to be geared up for people getting on with suitcases. It won't work, a bus full of cases on a regular bus will it.
Back to top Go down
chelsearo

PostSubject: Re: transport direct to resorts    transport direct to resorts  Icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 9:24 am

Yea Mark, that's true.

I did use the shuttle from the airport and then caught the bus from Palma City, it was a great little trip in itself!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: transport direct to resorts    transport direct to resorts  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

transport direct to resorts

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: MAJORCA SECTION :: MAJORCA / NEWS & DEBATES SECTION-
Jump to:  
Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com