Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
4thforum

4thforum

Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony _
PostSubject: Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony   Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 2:48 pm

This place was much bigger than I had originally thought. This is a photo from  near the beach in Abadas. To get there, take the motorway north and then take the Abadas turn off. At the little roundabout at the top of the turn, head towards Abadas village down at the coast. Park anywhere near the beach and the colony is on the hill overlooking the beach.

Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony <a href=Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Dscf2828" />

Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony <a href=Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Dscf2822" />

Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony <a href=Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Dscf2823" />

Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony <a href=Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Dscf2824" />

Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony <a href=Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Dscf2825" />

It seemed like a very big church for such a small community until I looked around

Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony <a href=Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Dscf2826" />

Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony <a href=Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Dscf2827" />

Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony <a href=Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Dscf2829" />

I think this must have been some sort of communal canteen

Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony <a href=Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Dscf2830" />

One of the dormitories I think.

Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony <a href=Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Dscf2831" />

Inside wasn't nice but was surprisingly modern. There were tiled showers with hot and cold water and all the floors were tiled as well. Just goes to show that this place wasn't part of the middle ages, but was in use in the 20th century.

Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony <a href=Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Dscf2832" />

Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony <a href=Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Dscf2833" />

Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony <a href=Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Dscf2834" />

Finally, as I was leaving I noticed some of the brush wasn't the same colour as the rest. On closer inspection, there were pile of rusty barbed wire dotted all over the place. The colony was obviously guarded. I wonder if the inmates went there volintarily or maybe they simply hadn't got anywhere else to go.

Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony <a href=Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Dscf2835" />
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony   Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2014 5:38 pm

bit like Spinalonga off of Crete, where they were locked away on an island, a bit like Alcatraz, thanks for posting Dermot
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony   Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 1:10 am

Jeez it's massive, nice pics mate, repped
Back to top Go down
4thforum

4thforum

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony   Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 11:56 am

Turns out the place was never used as a leper colony. They found cures for leprosy just before it was due to open in the 1940's. It was used as a military training camp for a short while and as a film set. There are more than 30 big buildings spread out. Apparently, it was built in such a way as to make it confusing to exit.
Back to top Go down
HappyH

HappyH

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony   Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 1:37 pm

Yip, put me in mind of Spinalonga too, went there many years ago.
Rep from me mate.
HH.
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony   Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 11:17 pm

Another rep from me Dermo.

Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony   Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Icon_minitimeFri Aug 22, 2014 6:23 pm

Ohhhhhh ive missed these posts, great photos wow its like a ghost town

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony   Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Canary Islands, Tenerife, Leper Colony

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: CANARY ISLANDS :: RESORT REVIEW SECTION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com