Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Mount Teide, Tenerife

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
4thforum

4thforum

Mount Teide, Tenerife _
PostSubject: Mount Teide, Tenerife   Mount Teide, Tenerife Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 9:54 am

If you are thinking of visiting Mt Teide, here are a few tips in advance.
1. Get there early. The tourist coaches normally start to pull in around 10.30 am. IT GETS VERY BUSY and you may have more than an hour waiting in line during peak times.
2. You can get a cable car from the ground station to an area approx 1500 feet from the top. This is as far as you can go without prior permission (see below). Website for the cable car company is at the bottom of the post  .
3. It is possible to walk/climb the mountain but you need to be fit to do this. Average times for total journey would be around 6-7 hours.
4. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to get to the very top without having obtained permission PRIOR to your visit. A special permit is required. You must present this along with the passports of those in your group to the ranger who is guarding the path to the top. The Canarian government only allow 200 people to climb this last bit every day, so booking well in advance is essential. You can get the permit via email at this address   teide@oapn.es.
5. Bring plenty of water and sun cream and take plenty of rests. The air is quite thin and shortness of breath/headache can occur.
http://www.telefericoteide.com/ing/infogral.html
Back to top Go down
4thforum

4thforum

Mount Teide, Tenerife _
PostSubject: Re: Mount Teide, Tenerife   Mount Teide, Tenerife Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 9:58 am

Just an update on getting the permit for the summit of Teide. You can now book it online ( as opposed to sending in an email ). The link is here
Back to top Go down
4thforum

4thforum

Mount Teide, Tenerife _
PostSubject: Re: Mount Teide, Tenerife   Mount Teide, Tenerife Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 2:12 pm

Meant to say, I've booked the permit for next July. Hopefully we'll get a clear day as last time it was cloudy and we didn't get to see very much.
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Mount Teide, Tenerife _
PostSubject: Re: Mount Teide, Tenerife   Mount Teide, Tenerife Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 5:37 pm

Good luck with that Dermo. I've been up there in the cable car, and as I turned the corner around the side of the café, to walk up to the 'furthest you can go' point, without the permit, I pretty much froze to within an inch of my life. It was the coldest I've ever been in such a short space of time.... apparently it was minus 25 but the wind chill...  cold  OMG it cut through you like nothing you're ever likely to feel again.

90 minutes later we was sunbathing on the beach  sunbathe  Ridiculous huh? lolol
Back to top Go down
4thforum

4thforum

Mount Teide, Tenerife _
PostSubject: Re: Mount Teide, Tenerife   Mount Teide, Tenerife Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 6:03 pm

That must have been in December or something Mark. I went in August before, heeded all the warnings about warm clothes etc ( it is over 12000 ft ). It was sweltering! I got a feckin sunburn ( even though it was cloudy) cos I thought that if jackets were needed, then there wouldn't have been any need for suncream. I'll know next time.
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Mount Teide, Tenerife _
PostSubject: Re: Mount Teide, Tenerife   Mount Teide, Tenerife Icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 11:30 pm

It was Easter time Dermo, so around March or April. I've never been up there and not been above the cloud line though? Always crystal blue skies up there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mount Teide, Tenerife _
PostSubject: Re: Mount Teide, Tenerife   Mount Teide, Tenerife Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mount Teide, Tenerife

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: CANARY ISLANDS :: HELP/INFO SECTION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com