Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
WirralScouse
DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla _
PostSubject: El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla   El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 10:12 pm

These 3 resorts stretch around Palma Bay.You can get a road train right along the promenade for 4 euros.El Arenal and C'an Pastilla at either end and the massive and very long beach Playa de Palma in between.Yesterday I did an up-to-date recce of all 3 on behalf of Forum members.I parked my car at the far end of El Arenal and walked much of the way in the searing heat into Playa de Palma in the direction of C'an Pastilla.

Arenal is where cheap Majorcan beach holidays started for Brits 50 years ago.And as expected it is quite tired and worn with dated buildings on the seafront but clean.On 6 October it was not busy.Some holidaying British families about and lots of local residents.1 block and further back from the prom lots of residential houses and apartments so it is not now totally dedicated to tourists.The hotels are not seafront.

My walk next took me in line to Playa de Palma.I couldn't quite believe how busy it was even compared to Palma Nova where I was staying.The beach stretches literally for miles and it was busy.It was however a very hot day and this was 2pm and stifling so the beach was the best place to be.Modern buildings very smart beachfront hotels mostly 4* and bars and restaurant advertising boards were all in German.It is the Germans' Magaluf! Their party resort. Spotlessly clean streets and beach.Then I came across MegaPark. From the outside although right on the seafront it looked like a shopping precinct.I went in for a nose around.It is a German Bier Halle.Hundreds of trestle tables and bench seats in a massive auditorium with German oompah music.There weren't many in at 2pm but I guess when full it would hold 2-3,000.Really.And all the poster advertising was for their local Oktoberfest.Bars nearby were selling German dishes.Lots of wursts and schnitzels.It was as if somebody had transplanted a chunk of Munich in Majorca.

On I walked,sweating and tiring rapidly as I had been walking for about 35 minutes.I came to a bus stop for the road train and located where I was on the run to C'an Pastilla.Less than halfway! I couldn't believe it! Victor Laughing

So I waited for the noddy train and rode it the rest of the way to Hotel Roc Linda in central C'an Pastilla en route passing Hotel Marina Luz TA #1 rated hotel in C'anP where Mrs WS and her friend stayed a year earlier.It looked very stylish.I walked through the town looking at the shops bars and restos back to the lovely clean sandy beach to the east of the marina.Stopped at Manchester Bar for a pint and a toastie late lunch.Then walked back into the town centre for the 15 bus and the ride back along the road one block back from the beachfront to collect the car from El Arenal.Another pint San Miguel 2 euros in The Sportsman's Liverpool Bar.Walking in this heat promotes a thirst!

My conclusions.Arenal.Not any more thanks.Playa de Palma-most impressed with the cleanliness and quality but I suspect Brits would feel overwhelmed by the sheer number of Germans and that the resort is geared to them.C'an Pastilla.Very handy for the airport and Palma,quite Spanish,lovely beach,plenty of choice of economical bars restos and hotels.I would say ideal for a short cheap break.Nowhere near as partyish as Magaluf or Palma Nova but if you are comfortable with more of a Spanish feel then it could satisfy your needs.Only the Marina Luz looked a modern building.

It's still the same island but you wouldn't think so.
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla   El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 3:56 pm

That was fantastic my friend, lots of info for our members to read up on, how far away from magaland are these resorts ?

WirralScouse
DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

PostSubject: Re: El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla   El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 4:57 pm

12-15 miles.If on public bus change in Palma.If you have a car head for the airport around the Palma Northern Ringroad and C'an Pastilla motorway exit is the one after the airport.The next 2 exits are for Playa de Palma.

I dropped my hire car off in C'an Pastilla early yesterday morning.Hiper shuttle you from their compound to the airport.I had to leave Sol Mirlos Hotel before breakfast so resigned myself to paying top whack prices for airport food.I topped the car up with petrol in C'anP then en route to Hiper I spotted a small cafe full of locals with a paper shop opposite.So before dropping the car off I went in for an orange juice and an ensaimada 2 euros and bought a sameday English paper to read on the plane.By contrast in the PMI Departure Lounge I had 2 very small bottles of fresh orange juice 6.8 euros. :$%):
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla   El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 4:08 am

Yes the airport is a rip off, something I didnt notice was fuel prices how does it compare with the UK ?

Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla   El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 8:34 am

Nice one Wirral.

At the airport petrol station I noticed that Derv was €1.10, so that's pretty much 99p a litre currently.

If the exchange rate was £1 = €1.42 like it's steadily been up until around two years ago it would work out at about 77p a litre.
Quite a difference huh Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
WirralScouse
DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

PostSubject: Re: El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla   El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Yes Mark's right.Same price figures in euros as we pay in £s.So approx 10% lower than at home.For the first 3 days of my hire I started out with a Clio Diesel.But I had to return it to Hiper depot when an indicator warning light illuminated.(They never include a handbook not that I would have been able to read it in Spanish to find out what was wrong but because it was a spanner icon it was obviously mechanical).Hiper replaced the car no quibble immediately with a Twingo Petrol.The diesel had much better pull than the Twingo although the latter did buzz along for a 1.2 engine.

Have you noticed how the £/euro exchange rate for tourists has been falling steadily over the past month? Today it is 1.08 here but my last lot of euros I bought at 1.14.I am flying out to Spain again this Friday for 6 days (Costa del Sol this time with MrsWS) and I am glad I bought enough euros when I did to cover both holidays.I know the difference for £1500 doesn't amount to a lot but it's better in my pocket than theirs.
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla   El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla Icon_minitimeSat Oct 09, 2010 2:36 pm

Another holiday my god I would have come too if my euro millions had come in last night.

Flump

PostSubject: Re: El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla   El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 1:19 pm

Great info thanks. Stayed at El arenal few years ago and loved it. Just wondering why there are no hotel or bar reviews for this area? I'm off there in may so I'll do a few reviews when I'm back
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla   El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla Icon_minitimeSat Mar 02, 2019 8:34 am

Nice one Flump repped, look forward to reading your review. cheers

PostSubject: Re: El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla   El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla Icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2019 9:16 am

Arenal, my first visit to Mallorca in 1982!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla   El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

El Arenal, Playa de Palma, C'an Pastilla

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: MAJORCA SECTION :: MAJORCA ACCOMMODATION / MAJORCA RESORT REVIEW SECTIONS :: EL ARENAL :: EL ARENAL RESORT-
Jump to:  
Free forums hosting | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com