Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
citygirl99

Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona _
PostSubject: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 4:26 pm

I've been looking through this forum and big thanks to Mark for his reviews of the restaurants at Cala Bona. However, can anyone give me a rough guide to the average cost of eating out here. We are 2 adults and 1 child (aged 9) and like fresh fish and meat (not really looking at the cheaper fast food side). For example, how much (typically) is a glass of wine, glass of beer, glass of coke, ice cream, 2 course meal? Also, what sort of prices would I pay in the supermarket for bottled water, wine, soft drinks, bread, milk, cheese?

I know it's alot to ask, but just wondering whether to book self catering or all inclusive!

Many thanks.
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 4:48 pm

That is what we are here for citygirl. Both Mark & Deb's, were out in Cala Bona, so I am sure that they will answer your questions for you. Anything else, please ask away, or join in with the banter, as you so wish.

Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi Citygirl, I assume your the same person that's asking the same on TA? I was going to pm you and give you a link to the reviews.
There's no question of it really, self cat is the way to go, the choices of eating out, cheap or expensive, are immense. The prices of drinks vary from bar to bar, and they aren't a lot different to here. Beer is cheaper at about €1.50 a pint for local beer.
But supermarket prices are totally different, and much cheaper. Wine starts from €1 per one litre carton, even good wine is less than €5 a bottle.
Water from €1 for 5 litres, strangely it's the same price for one litre though scratch Coke's etc same price as here. Bread milk and cheese a little more expensive than tesco's, about the same as corner shop prices here.
Fresh sardines with bread and wine at lunchtime overlooking the harbour was €7 each. But realistically a whole Sea Bream in a resto at night would be €15 - 20. But you can get other meals comfortable for €10 per head, - not cheap rubbish either. But fry ups in bars like the Rope and Anchor are only about €5 - €6.
Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
citygirl99

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 5:29 pm

Mark wrote:
Hi Citygirl, I assume your the same person that's asking the same on TA? I was going to pm you and give you a link to the reviews.
There's no question of it really, self cat is the way to go, the choices of eating out, cheap or expensive, are immense. The prices of drinks vary from bar to bar, and they aren't a lot different to here. Beer is cheaper at about €1.50 a pint for local beer.
But supermarket prices are totally different, and much cheaper. Wine starts from €1 per one litre carton, even good wine is less than €5 a bottle.
Water from €1 for 5 litres, strangely it's the same price for one litre though scratch Coke's etc same price as here. Bread milk and cheese a little more expensive than tesco's, about the same as corner shop prices here.
Fresh sardines with bread and wine at lunchtime overlooking the harbour was €7 each. But realistically a whole Sea Bream in a resto at night would be €15 - 20. But you can get other meals comfortable for €10 per head, - not cheap rubbish either. But fry ups in bars like the Rope and Anchor are only about €5 - €6.
Hope this helps.

Huge thanks - yes I am asking on TA too. We are about to book the holiday any second and am still unsure. However, I think we will go s/c then we can go out in the evenings and choose our food as we're not bothered about the hotel entertainment in evenings. Would you say then, realistically, that a budget of 80 Euros (£65 ish) for 2 adults and 1 child (aged 9) per day is adequate? We are not big drinkers and won't be in bars all evening. Also, I take it the food eating out is good quality?

Thank you so much Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 5:32 pm

Excellent quality, there won't be any problems there. But if the comparison is all inclusive buffet food then eating out is always going to win?
I'd say €80 will be ok. I normally budget for €100 a day, juust two of us, sometimes I bring money home, other times I need more, depends on what you do really, - everyone's different.
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeWed Sep 19, 2012 5:34 pm

This thread has been moved by admin to the Majorca ask a question section by the way
Back to top Go down
citygirl99

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 4:34 pm

Mark wrote:
Excellent quality, there won't be any problems there. But if the comparison is all inclusive buffet food then eating out is always going to win?
I'd say €80 will be ok. I normally budget for €100 a day, juust two of us, sometimes I bring money home, other times I need more, depends on what you do really, - everyone's different.

Thanks Mark. So just to clarify - 80-100 Euros a day would cover eating breakfast, lunch and dinner out with all drinks? What is the rough cost of stuff like milk, cheese, bread, wine, soft drinks etc in supermarkets? Also, roughly what cost is a coke, beer and glass of wine in the restaurants. Sorry to be a pain!!!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 9:54 pm

It's no problem CG, ask away, i'll help if I can.
Just to be approx, wine coke and beer in a resto are about €1.50 - €2 each.
Top wines and imported beers obviously a little more.
Supermarket prices. Well, ignoring the obvious like: How big a block of cheese? What strength? I think you'll find prices similar to corner shop prices here, therefore a little more than Tescos. So cheese at €4, bread at €1.50 a loaf, wine from €1 a one litre carton, reasonable wine is cheap, only about €3 - 4 a bottle. 2 litres of coke about €2.
Now €80 - 100 a day is going to be down to how and what you eat. Full english at most cafes is from €4 pp.
burger and chips type lunch from €5 each.
Evening meals? Well 3 courses with top cuts of steak with wine and sangria, coffees after, might be as much as €90 for 3. But you could go the other way and have a menu of the day meal for just €10 each. All you can eat at the Asia buffet is €8.50 per person.
So it's horses for courses. You'll get a good family evening meal for €40 - €50 total at most places. so yes, €80 - €100 a day allowance is about right for food. But if you go to bars just for drinks on top of your food then probably another €20 a day.
I know it's comparable with the cost of going all inclusive, but the beauty of self cat is that you can choose your meals and where and when.

The other option you have is that if you go self cat and find it's not working for you, then you can pay the hotel directly to upgrade to all inc for the last few days. so it's win win. You can't downgrade to self cat and go and eat out with a refund of money if you don't like the set up or the food.
You can also just buy food as you go at the hotel, lunch meals from €5 - €8 at the pool bar are on offer.
Hope this helps.
I'm off to majorca tomorrow so won't be able to answer anything else from then, so hope you have enough info now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 9:57 pm

Forgot to mention, there's a couple of sandwich bars in town, you can make up your own baguettes etc for €3 or something, foot long fresh baguettes! An easy lunch meal for €10 for 3.
Back to top Go down
beeech
Lil 'ol wine drinker
beeech

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 8:17 am

[quote="Mark"

I'm off to majorca tomorrow [/quote]

Thought it was Wednesday you were going ?

( I know that IS tomorrow..............now ) !! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 8:25 am

beeech wrote:
[quote="Mark"

I'm off to majorca tomorrow

Thought it was Wednesday you were going ?

( I know that IS tomorrow..............now ) !! Very Happy
[/quote]

We know what you mean, but still a bit of a Beeechish statement. wink

lol! lol! lol! lol!

Lil 'ol wine drinker
beeech

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 8:28 am

lol!

So is it today or tomorrow Mark goes ? scratch

Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 8:31 am

beeech wrote:
lol!

Tomorrow. wink

ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 8:31 am

beeech wrote:
lol!

Tomorrow, along with Jan, Deb's & Don. wink

OFFICIAL VODKA TASTER
debdon

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 8:46 am

Yep tomorrow for us, although might as well say tonight as we have to leave here at 2.15 am ish affraid Sleep no bed tonight sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.debssweetdelights.co.uk
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 9:23 am

debdon wrote:
Yep tomorrow for us, although might as well say tonight as we have to leave here at 2.15 am ish affraid Sleep no bed tonight sad

Well worth it though Deb's, look where you will be by 10am. clap clap

OFFICIAL VODKA TASTER
debdon

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 9:29 am

This is so true Mick sunbathe morebeer drunken Sleep

Will try to get a catnap this evening Sleep
Back to top Go down
http://www.debssweetdelights.co.uk
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 3:08 pm

Well that's sort of what I meant Beeech, leaving Tuesday night sort of to go to the airport, although the flight isn't until 6 am Wednesday.
Back to top Go down
beeech
Lil 'ol wine drinker
beeech

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 3:37 pm

lolol

I'll let you off......................... Wink
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 8:04 pm

You had a chance there spank lolol
Back to top Go down
beeech
Lil 'ol wine drinker
beeech

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2012 8:07 pm

you've caught me on a good day...............

Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 7:32 am

beeech wrote:

you've caught me on a good day...............

Very Happy

I had would hate to catch you on a bad one. fear eek fainting

PostSubject: Re: Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona   Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cost of food and drink in Cala Bona

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: MAJORCA SECTION :: MAJORCA / HELP / ADVICE / QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS-
Jump to:  
Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com