Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Greece, Island of Lesvos

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

Greece, Island of Lesvos _
PostSubject: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 4:40 pm

We ( mum and 2 boys aged 7 and 14) visited the island of Lesvos in Greece for a fortnight in July 2012. Lesvos is the third largest Greek island and is situated in the north-eastern Aegean, just off the coast of Turkey. We were staying at the Niki-Michael studios in Petra on the north of the island and had a transfer time of one and a half hours from Mytilene airport.

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv11

We got on the coach, but our luggage went on a different coach, and transferred to a smaller van, as the streets in the village are quite narrow and not conducive to coaches. The studios were in a rural location (10-12 mins walk from Petra), and while initially, we had wanted something closer to the village centre, we would probably not have bothered to explore the charming cobbled hilly streets that we had to negotiate on our way to the seafront for lunch/dinner. Make hay while the sun shines

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv12

Lovely old doors

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv13

Wisteria clad buildings

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv15

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv16

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv17

We had a bull and a donkey as neighbours

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv18

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv19

And 2 swallow's nests right outside our bathroom window . . .

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv20

The island is a migratory refuelling point for birds and on our trip to Petra, we saw a Pelican, some storks, (two of which were nesting on a tall chimney in the village of Kolloni) - which is the inland village of Scala Kolloni) and a very large flock of flamingos, (approx 200) at the Kalloni salt pans.

We had considered staying at the adjacent towns/villages of Molyvos and Anaxos too. Molyvos was recommended to us, as being a very authentic, rustic, chaming town – and it is. But it has only stony beaches (no good for boys that like to run about the beach) and the only accommodation available to us was a half an hour’s walk outside the town – the 7 yr old would have struggled with that in the heat! Anaxos was tempting, though much smaller, but I felt the boys might need a bit more ‘buzz’ in the evenings.

Petra’s dominant feature is the church of Panagia Glykofilousa ( Our Lady of The Sweet Kiss) which is reached by 136 steps (there is a hand rail most of the way, but not for the faint hearted or those with mobility problems, obviously).

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv21

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv22

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv23

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv24

There are fine views of the bay of Petra and of the very impressive mountains to the rear.

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv25

The harbour is at the far end, to the right . . that is where you can get the boat trips from . . about 20 mins from the village square at the seafront, or 30 mins from our apts.

MORE TO FOLLOW IN A FEW DAYS

Last edited by theboss on Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 8:20 am

From the square at the seafront, the road leads east towards Anaxos (around the next headland) or right towards the harbour

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv26

There are sunbeds on the beach, which are free if you buy a drink or have lunch there . . We found the best part of the beach to be the first bit you come across, opposite the Lemon Bar. The Greeks used to hang out here . . other areas had rocks in the water. The beach shelves a bit and is coarse sand and a bit pebbly as you enter the water, but a few (3-4)metres out and we were standing on sand like talcum powder.

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv27

One day, we went to the village of Anaxos

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv28

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv29

But was glad we weren’t staying there, as there appeared to be only the seafront, with restaurants, bars etc:(some with wifi), but no character/cobbled hilly, backstreets to explore. There was a lot of weed in the water, for quite some way out, which wasn’t very pleasant, until you hit clearer water. I swam out quite a bit and saw something very unsavoury in the water . . a t*rd . . . We made a quick exit and didn’t go back.

Another night, we did the ‘Molyvos by night’ tour. We were picked up by coach from just beyond the square and it was very hot! My 7 yr old was quite faint and I had to keep soaking his head, arms and legs with cold water, to refresh him. The guide, who was our rep in Petra, was very knowledgeable and entertaining, without being over the top . . he struck a very good balance. We were dropped off at the castle, and then made our way down the narrow, winding streets to the village square (which is really a triangle), where we were treated to a glass of ouzo. We were then free to spend a few hours as we wished. We stopped for a drink first, then made our way to the harbour, where we had dinner.

Views from the pick up point, up to the castle and some excavation . . . of tombs affraid

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv30

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv31

Greece, Island of Lesvos Castle10

THere is a restaurant/cafe type place

Greece, Island of Lesvos Castle11

[uGreece, Island of Lesvos Castle12rl=https://servimg.com/view/16266825/493]Greece, Island of Lesvos Keysto10[/url]

The view from about half way down the hill, over the old olive press, which is now a hotel.

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv32

Many of the restaurants on the hilly streets have dining areas/balconies which are hanging on to the side of the hill, with wonderful views.

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv33

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv34

We ate at ‘Le Bleu Marine’ at the harbour, which is a great spot to people watch. There are boats coming and going, fishermen debating the crisis

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv36

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv37

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv38

Costos' love shack Cool

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv39

The local Dry Dock Shocked . . you may have noticed that I like pics of Greek boats . .

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv40

You can just see the castle on the hill in the top left hand corner . .

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv41

MORE TO COME

Last edited by theboss on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 9:51 am

and plenty of feline company.

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv42

Mustn’t forget the 'entertainment' lol!

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv43

One of those charming hilly steets

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv45

On our way back to the coach, it was dark and the castle was lit up on the hill . . . pics didn't come out great, but it will give you some idea . .

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv44

Back to Petra . . .

The village square is on the seafront, and it's nice to sit and watch the world go by . . including CRAZY drivers of both cars and motorbikes. Certainly in Petra and Molyvos, they dont close off the streets to traffic at night and it's a real life skill at times to make your way from A to B affraid

We usually walked to the seafront for lunch (all but one day) and looked for a place with wifi . . Cantina's was the best . . run by a lady from the North of England, who had married out here. It had 'muzak' and did serve English bacon and sausages but that was the trade off against going somewhere Greek and having intermittant wifi . . Our favourite restaurant The Women't Co-operative' (TWC) was directly above, with access gained via the side street around the corner.

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv46

Yamas at Cantina . . Cool

And the activity in the square by night . .

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv47

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv52

At TWC, The Lamb Fricasse was my favoutite . . . I had it 3 out of the four nights we went there . . Embarassed

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv48

The fifth, seventh and eighth one's down on the starter menu were all very good too . . . but definately enough for two people . .

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv62

And there was only one of me . . . but I hate waste . . cheers

View, right, left and straight ahead from TWC

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv57

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv58

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv59

Our next two favourites were 'Thalassa' and The Reef, but honestly, we didn't have a bad meal anywhere . . .

There is another beautiful, very old church as you head up the hill from the square, towards the church on the rock . .

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv49

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv50

It was close to here that I met my 'cicada' friend . . Twisted Evil now THAT was a real 'crisis' lol!

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv51

All in all, Lesvos is a very charming, traditional island. We didn't hire a car, so only explored the villages in our vicinity, but it was a chill-out break.

We had fab food, lovely lie-ins, dips in the sea and wonderful sunsets . .

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv53

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv54

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv55

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv56

I have loads of pics on the ipad . . but don't know how to transfer them to my computer yet . . .

If I come across any other nice ones and can work out what to do . .

That's it folks . .

Yassos from my new Greek BFF . .

Greece, Island of Lesvos Mylesv60

cheers

Last edited by theboss on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 10:58 am

an excellent review of the place Boss, gave me reminders of Lesbos. Those buildings that sort of lean over the cliff edge was engraved on my mind from all those years ago.

Enjoyed reading that with all those pictures

a rep or two from me cheers
Back to top Go down
roamer
Girl Power Member
roamer

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 4:50 pm

Yes a rep from me. Lovely pics and review. Sells Greece to me.
Back to top Go down
http://fiona-king.co.uk
beeech
Lil 'ol wine drinker
beeech

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 7:44 pm

excellent tb...rep from me too ! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 10:32 pm

roamer wrote:
Yes a rep from me. Lovely pics and review. Sells Greece to me.

Which pic did it for you Roamer , , , the frosty beer . . or The jug of wine? Cool
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 11:12 pm

Lovely review TB, have a well earned rep Thumsup
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 11:18 pm

Cheers Mark cheers

But I don't think you and Jan would appreciate the 'entertainment' . . .

The best you could hope for would be a Demis Roussos or Nana Mouskouri tribute act . . . Very Happy
Back to top Go down
beeech
Lil 'ol wine drinker
beeech

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 11:23 pm

theboss wrote:
Cheers Mark cheers

But I don't think you and Jan would appreciate the 'entertainment' . . .

The best you could hope for would be a Demis Roussos or Nana Mouskouri tribute act . . . Very Happy

That famous line dancing couple............................................ Very Happy

Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 11:52 pm

Errrrr . . . of course cheers
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 11:59 pm

Not quite Kenny & Dolly I suppose Very Happy

But we like the chilled out nights just as much as the shirt off and dancing on the bar nights! cheers lolol
Back to top Go down
beeech
Lil 'ol wine drinker
beeech

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 12:03 am

Islands in the stream - a croaky fave of mine.......

sorry - off topic.......... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 12:05 am

Not like you beeechiepoo lol!
Back to top Go down
beeech
Lil 'ol wine drinker
beeech

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 12:08 am

Embarassed

why do you all make out that I'm the worst for going OT ?............................. scratch
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 12:12 am

Let me think.... lolol

Ah....! cos Micks not signed on! cheers
Back to top Go down
beeech
Lil 'ol wine drinker
beeech

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 12:15 am

....so I take the flack for him ? ...

not right Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 8:17 am

beeech wrote:
....so I take the flack for him ? ...

not right Rolling Eyes

If I am not on you take the flak, surely you remember that in your MF Contract Beeech. wink

lolol lolol lolol lolol

Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 11:24 am

Finally got round to reading this, brilliant review and amazing photos, loved them last few sun shots looked really professional. Lots of reps for all the posts, well done and many thanks for sharing

theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Cheers Daryn cheers
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 3:31 pm

Fantastic honest reviews TB, with some fabulous photo's, rep from me. clap clap

Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 3:35 pm

And cheers Mick too cheers
Back to top Go down
JimTina

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 4:56 pm

Great review TB.

rep from me too.
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks Jim cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Lesvos   Greece, Island of Lesvos Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greece, Island of Lesvos

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: GREECE includes Greek Islands :: RESORT REVIEW SECTION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com