Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 _
PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 1:08 pm

Anyway there were about 10 banks in the town's square and I looked inside one that had exchange rates of 79 (that's £79 buys 100 euro's) which worked out at 125 euro's to the pound. Usually exchanges in Greece take 2%, so that would still be much better than the Thos Cook rate. This year I did not put all my eggs in one basket, I had a loaded card, sterling and euro's to start with.

So at one point I was going to exchange sterling.

However, today wasn't that day and we headed for one of the six restaurants for a lunchtime meal. This was an Island that was much more Greek than we had ever been to before and trying to find a resto that suited us around the town seemed difficult. However, it got much easier as we got into the swing of things.

A couple of the restaurants seemed to be closed at lunchtime and we sat down at one with yellow chairs. The lady came to us and we asked if they did food, "Only toast", she said. Mrs Db suggested we just have a beer and go back to the blue chair resto at our beach. Anyway two draught beers came up with a bowl of crisps and salted biscuits, it seems they don't serve a beer here without giving the customer some snack.

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 08211

The view was great, the crisps etc were nice but we didn't want too many of them, as we were going to have a lunch. The bill came 8 euro's waaaaaay, 4 euro's for a 1/2 litre beer, alarm bells at that. So it's see the menu first from now on. Anyway we had hit the dearest place in town for a beer.

So it was the 10 minute walk back to the blue chair place, where their beers were 3 euro's, we ordered a Greek salad and some stuff tomatoes that Mrs Db fancied, bill about 16 euros with the beers

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 13311

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 13412

then watching the world go by, which would eventually turn out to be our favourite place for lunch

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 30610

Late afternoon now, we decided to walk back to the apartment, Mrs Db read her kindle on the balcony and I had a siesta.

We would try the six resto again tonight

we found a resto called Terrains which had screens down

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 10112

I had a chicken Souvikai

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 10813

Mrs Db had a burger stuffed with cheese which looked delicious

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 11010

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 13712

a bit blowy for us to sit out on the sea edge but some tried it

We sat and watch the sunset over a litre of wine, total bill 21.50 euros with bread

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 10311

more to come

Last edited by delboy on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 1:27 pm

Yes - it takes us a few days to suss out the restauraunts where everyone will get something they are happy with.

I remember going to a place in Limeni (down the coast from Stoupa). We found an idylic spot . . a wonderful cove, with powdery sand at the bottom . . views to die for and seaturtles to accompany your swim. There were 2 restaurants there, but only one opened in the daytime . . .

A very small menu only about 7/8 things on it, so we struggled . . mostly fish . . even when the boys' 'chips' came, they were fried sliced potatoes (round) lol!
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 1:39 pm

a dinner coming up later the boys would like, I did (went twice) , Mrs Db said they were bad for me lol!
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 7:23 pm

The next day was blue sky again but still this breeze but time to try those sunbeds on the beach

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 13213

It wasn't too bad, very hot but those odd gusts of wind blew sand up and here you can see it ruffling the sea

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 12911

we had lunch and about 4:00pm we decided we had had enough and it was back to the apartment for a cup of tea

In the evening we tried the next resto along and football was on so we watched the first half

I had what Mrs Db had the night before except my cheese was on the outside

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 14412

Whilst Mrs Db had what I had but on one long screwer washed down by the house wine

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 14313

The sunset over Mount Athos, also known as the Holy Island, apparently there are 20 monasteries on the Island with 1200 monks and their staff. No woman have ever been allowed on the Island and it is a heritage site and at the end of a peninsular from Greece. Originally the home of the Gods

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 14110

Then is was get the bill and get back in fifteen minutes and watch the second half in bed on the apartment TV. I know how to treat a lady lol!

However, they had a down pour in Poland which seem to be coming out of our TV with such a crap picture

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 09511

oh well can't watch that, time for a kip lol!

Last edited by delboy on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 8:34 pm

I'm surprised that the beaches look so empty . . . did the locals feel that it was a 'poor' season?
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2012 8:46 pm

It was mainly the weather the first week Boss, the second week we found that you could get a front row bed no problem and after 3pm the youngsters came to the beach and on the best days our end got fairly full after 3 pm. They were mainly local guys and girls finishing work / school ? restaurants in the evening were mainly empty. Tourist numbers were down I was told, perhaps the Greeks don't now have the money.

There was a concert one night, with a choir singing and we sat in a practically empty resto listening to them. The harbour square was crowded but nobody seemed to be eating, Greeks are generally late eater but I think there were concerns.

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 43410
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 12:17 am

Cracking sunset pic del Thumsup
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Anyway on the Sunday and election day for Greece, cars with loud speakers were about but wasn't sure whether it was the candidates, gypsies repairing chairs or farmers selling melons but we decided to have a walk and tried to have a look at the AI camp at the far end

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 15011

The nearer we got to the complex I could just see a few pokey chalets that I wasn't even sure if they were staff accommodation, so I didn't take pictures, but later found out that the staff are accommodated elsewhere.

I understand that one of the guests in our apartments had a chat to one of the guests that was staying there. Apparently they have built wind screens down on the beach (I noted that one) and a fantastic bar but those on half board were paying 4.5 euro's for a beer, I know Scandinavians pay a lot for beer but that's a rip off

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 15111

so it was a turnaround and head back, you can see the sea is rough

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 15211

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 15312

So we thought that we would try the Manos resto, at the far end of the beach for lunch, unfortunately they only did mezza, not to my liking, so we had a beer and they threw in crisps, that 0.5 litre was 3.5 euro's

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 15512

Comfy chairs behind if you wanted one

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 15613

then we walked back via the beach

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 15812

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 15911

had lunch at the blue chairs and then fed 3 donkey's that had been put in a field near us

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 08912

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 09110

In the evening we tried the third restaurant Romeo's and thought it was the best one so far, a euro more for a litre of wine at 8 euros and perhaps a euro on the food

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 16310

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 16010

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 16111

I had the chicken in cay sauce with apples

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 16512

Mrs DB tried chicken in mushroom sauce

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 16612

and another sunset over a glass of wine

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 16211

and it was election night and the castle lights came on for the first time cheers

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 17111

Next the great bank robbery lol!

Last edited by delboy on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 6:20 pm

Fab pics . . . beautiful sea views . . . so rugged and natural . . . love it!

As for that sunset . . . ! cheers
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 9:22 pm

Anyway, not going to pain you with a day by day blow of the holiday so after this day I will jump much further into the holiday.

So Monday morning the wind was blowing, I'm told it was force 11 (64 miles an hour). Umbrellas on the beach were down. Ferries had been stopped and all shipping had to remain in the harbour

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 25810

However, I had more important things to do like £300 to change into euro's, Anette had warned me to check out several banks, as they had different commision rates, so Mrs Db and I went into town.

There are no shops or agents in Limnos doing exchange, it is all done by the banks

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 22710

I popped into the first one that had the rate listed and unfortunately Europe must have been happy with the election result as the pound had weakened against the euro to 81 (121 odd). So I asked if they did exchange and surprisingly told NO, National Bank. Next, I queued in the Euro bank and at my turn, it was NO, the National Bank.

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 20611

Now, I'm told the crime rate in Limnos is virtually zilch but as we stepped up to the doorway of the National Bank, we had to press a blue button, on pressing it another guy stepped out and explained go inside this sort of tardis and wait for the outer door to close, then press the next button on the inner door, once doing that a speaker must have said come in.

So in the middle of the bank now it had seating like cinema with business desks around the bank. At the front was a queue to the till which had flashing lights. We joined the queue and when it got to our turn and a till light flashed, Mrs Db dropped her sunglasses on the floor and broke them but we proceeded at the same time with another woman who jumped out of a chair and explained we needed to obtain a waiting ticket (just like Tesco deli counter).

So finally, with ticket and our number flashing and passport in hand, we asked for exchange at the till and we had met the first non speaking exchange tiller. He eventually pointed to one of two men down the side of the bank obviously setting up a mortgage for the next shipping line magnet.

Eventually, an English voice, "Can I help". "Ah", I said, "I would like to exchange some sterling for euros", "Australian dollars" was his reply, "No sterling", he then went on to his computer and said,"todays rate is 81 or 121 something". "How much commission", I asked. "6 euro's" he said, "If you have travellers cheques". "No", I said "sterling", "In that case, no commission".

Delighted with that, I asked if I can change the £300, "follow me", he said and he went over to the first till lady and explained to her, "He turned to me and said "you will be next" and the customer at the till said, "I didn't need another queue ticket".

I said to Mrs Db, "that will be roughly 363 euros".

So now it was my turn, various stuff was gleamed from my passport and printed on to a form to which I had to sign for, then 355 euros was counted out. "363", I said, It turned out she didn't speak any English either. "363", I repeated and the same bloke was called over, who read the form. The man in the bank said,"I must apologise my mistake, there is a 10 euro deduction".

I accepted his apology, but I did ended up with 118.5 to the pound.

I then had to pay another 10 euro's for a new pair of sunglasses for Mrs Db. Well she is a classy lady, not accepting cheap stuff from me.

Last edited by delboy on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 10:21 pm

We headed to the harbour and I was thinking of climbing the castle, however we met another couple from the apartment and they said they had been round to the church at the far end of town and it was windy

resto's blinds and roofing had been taken down, due to wind

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 17512

so we decided to do the walk to the church ourselves

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 17612

Beyond the marina, there was the town's third beach

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 17811

There was only one bar sevicing it which had chairbeds and it sold drinks and cocktails

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 17911

Now coming round the bigger outer harbour

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 18611

the third beach now in the distance

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 18811

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 19011

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 19311

Coming round th the headland on the other side of the harbour

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 19412

we finally reached the church, it was blowing really hard and Mrs Db wouldn't come up

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 19812

I risked it but when I tried to slide round the side of the church to get more pictures, I can only describe it, like being at Blackpool Tower on a windy October day (scary)

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 19510

so we headed back to the little harbour passing Limnos winery

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 20011

we found a sort of sheltered resto in the corner of the marina for lunch

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 18211

beer was only 2.30 euro's here

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 18311

and had stuff peppers with cheese of all things, quite nice

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 18512

the husband of the lady who had served us held the umbrella up for us whilst we ate Embarassed

more to come

Last edited by delboy on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:57 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 10:32 pm

. . . it was blowing really hard and Mr Db wouldn't come up

Is Mrs DB writing this review . . lol!
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 10:34 pm

sorry Boss the wind blew the 's' off lol!
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2012 10:37 pm

We know who wears the trousers in your house . . Very Happy
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 11:23 am

Anyway the wind continued and we stayed within the six restaurants behind windshields for the evening meals, attending Romeo's again

I had the Indian Chicken

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 26211

and Mrs Db had a nice looking sweet and sour chicken dish

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 26310

One had to move to the side of Romero's to get the sunset but worth getting up to snap it

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 26010

Tuesday was much the same and that coach trip that we didn't go on, to see the lady on a potter's wheel, was looking even more of an attraction missed at this time. The report was the winds would last until Wednesday but no time was given and those outer chairs by the sea for a meal remained unused

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 21511

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 22010

However the ferry got in Tuesday night from Athens (10 hour trip pale ) petrol comes in via the ferry and some garages were running out.

Wednesday and the wind hadn't drop much but the ferry left that morning. The fishermen reported that the wind would drop 12:00 noon on Thursday. Sadly two couples staying just the week would probably not return to the island again.

Although the wind was blowing, it was extremely hot and our air con remote was playing up, sometimes not switching on/off until half a dozen clicks. Embarassed

The town was a working town and so versitile just like Paleochora, I could have bought a new aircon unit lol!

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 31110

So Thursday came and it was still windy but it was down to the beach, well the fisherman shouldn't be wrong should they??? geek

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 30510

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 26811

and by 12:00 almost by magic, the wind eased, the Camp Granada song came to mind and lunch became pleasurable without having to hold down the tablecloths

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 30811

So the town's families came down later in the afternoon, starved of their pleasure for a week. Bat and balls came out which seem to be a national pass time in Greece

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 26912

just for the women on here

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 27111

There were three chinese massuers on the beach carrying a notice but none uttered a word, also the guy from the white chairs restaurant came around selling donuts but even he did utter a word. Maybe Limnos have the answer by a no approach policy, I don't know this just an observation

So now I was doing the Delboy probe "Is this Island windy", I have spoken to several people that have been coming to Limnos for many years, one couple 17 years, there is a breeze that blows, most say it's just a welcome pleasant breeze but none had experienced the wind as bad a this last week. So it sounds like Cape Verde with a breeze. So if you are considering it you may need to do your own investigations before booking. Also I picked up that Northern Samos has this wind as well.

So now the weather will allow us to eat around the harbour

more to come

Last edited by delboy on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 1:29 pm

So for the evening it was down to the harbour, where a lot of the resto's specialise in fish but was told they do other things. One resto has BQ sign and does bar-be-que only. Mrs Db let me have my treat

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 27210

A very popular resto that night was Glasous overlooking both harbour and marina owned by and Australian who has lived there many years

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 27512

however, tonight we were eating here and all the tables eventually filled up, no plates are used, just sheets of brown paper

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 27712

Mrs Db ordered a healthy salad to help out. With Potatoes, pitta bread and chicken and of course the white wine

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 27812

however, the potatoes where really chips cheers

and piled high, done in a chip pan, with real grease and salt cheers cheers

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 27910

Then the Bar-be-que chicken was thrown on top, and it's bon appetit

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 28010

washed down with the wine, best chips I had had in years

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 28111

Now the castle only had been lit on the Sunday and then went off again however the road had been repaired scratch a local told me it was money saving but their best attraction not lit didn't make sense.

But tonight it was back on cheers cheers cheers

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 28810

It added a magical atmosphere to the place

Well all good things come to an end and Mrs Db said it was very bad for me and luckly she ordered a salad to assist it down lol!

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 28710

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 29110

if one couldn't manage the meal the local cats would help you out

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 28311

tomorrow hook or by crook, I was going to climb that castle for some pics, I was told to be down by sunset as path became tricky, also another couple told me thay found some stairs but the pathway was unclear and seemed to disappear into nothing. What happened was I got the shock of my life but had my camera with me.

But for us, it was back to the apartment going back through the well lit town

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 29711

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 29812

to come what happened on those castle steps

Last edited by delboy on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
roamer
Girl Power Member
roamer

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 5:08 pm

A well earned rep for all your hard work DB. Looks lovely.
Back to top Go down
http://fiona-king.co.uk
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 6:28 pm

That resto reminds me of 'The Butcher's' in Stoupa . . .

Best spit roast pork ever . . . you told him how many it was to serve and he would go off and chop, chop, chop in the background and come back with a big paper sheet with a pile of the most succulent, juicy meat and then throw a tray of chips on top . . . it was fab! Help yourself and it was the survival of the fittest! lol!
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 6:34 pm

yes they did sausages, chicken, chicken kebabs and pork belly as the bar-be-que, no steak though scratch
Back to top Go down
Bella
Girl Power Member
Bella

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 8:47 pm

A Fab review and pictures Delboy......it looks a stunning place. I so would love another a Greek holiday...absolutely yonks since I spent time in Athens and Cofu but I just wouldn't know where to choose, so many beautiful Islands!! This one looks like what I'm after.

Rep for you. Smile
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 9:17 pm

Gosh! in my enthusiasm for this thread . . . I cant remember if I've repped you or not . . . if I haven't apologies . . . I got carried away lol!

If I did . . . this won't work again, but well done!
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 9:30 pm

The next day we went on to the beach

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 34910

nice day and little wind, no good at Yosef's sea pictures

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 34210

Lunch time it was spagetti

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 35010

about 4:00pm I left Mrs Db on the beach to find my way to the castle, put on my trainers and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge and then off to town.

Amongst the labyrinth of buildings there was a sign to the castle

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 35210

I was looking for some steps that the other couple had mentioned, as no other sign was around, my eyes looked to the right and ah there they were with a pathway leading up to the rocks

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 35310

The pathway did look a bit odd and not used much as I reached a shrub growing out of some rocks. Suddenly a big commotion as a large animal scattered and ran 6 feet from me. Hell it was a full grow deer. It jogged up the hill, as I grabbed my camera, oh how I wish I'd bought that TZ30 before coming away. It stop at the top of the hill and looked back on me and snap...

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 35410

I clipped the picture for a better view of it

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 354b10

As it disappeared I went after it in a stalking fashion. However there was a steep wooded glade below and it had gone. I tried to find a way over the mountain but it was clearly the wrong place, but well happy I had gone there what a coup photographing my first deer, so it was back down the path

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 35911

Then headed further up the road and eventually found the path

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 36010

Quite a demanding walk it the heat, I stopped and had a drink a few times

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 38610

I went through a hole in the castle wall and took a picture to make sure I went back through the same one on my return. lol!

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 36410

getting near the flag flying over town

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 38510

A bit of a tricky path here for some

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 38410

All there was for protection was that metal bar, to stop people falling 100's of feet down affraid

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 38310

So took my hat off it was breezy, texted Mrs Db, "I'm at the top" and then tested the strength of that bar (I was the only crazy person up here but loving it)

Here are the views

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 37510

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 37610

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 36810

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 36910

the narrow second beach in this one

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 37010

beyond the harbour I could seen land, not sure whether it was another island or Turkey

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 37410

didn't want to fall down there affraid

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 37710

Mrs Db would be sitting on the beach somewhere in this picture

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 37110

at this point, I decided to have a walk around, it was a big fortification but how could anybody live up here it the heat

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 38710

Then I came across these warrens of holes there appeared to be a labyrinth of caves, which I was not prepared to go down on my own. Loved to have investigated them, perhaps another time

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 39010

on the other side just a narrow path and the drop of all drops affraid

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 39110

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 39610

more of those caves, the soldiers must have lived in them

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 39810

another drop with no protection, glad I didn't do this last week

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 40010

around the other side, some of the wall standing. The castle was originally built on remains thousands of years ago. The Byzantine people modified it in 2 years in 1186, then the Venetians in the 13th century improved it further after they captured it. During the Otterman rule the Turks lived in it. The Russian fleet damaged it trying to drive the Turks out of Myrina

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 40110

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 40310

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 40410

so it was working my way back toward the flag again

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 40810

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 40910

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 41310

another pic of Mrs Db's beach from the highest point

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 41210

I had been up here for an hour and not seen a soul and had seen many unexplained things

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 41110

but had enjoyed every minute of it

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 41610

water was running out and it was time to call it a day

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 39210

and it was a slow walk down and a beer at the bottom

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 18111

to come, the last few days and the summing up

Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 9:45 pm

AB FAB! cheers

Fab shots DB . . . it's the combination of the fantastic seascapes, with the backdrop of the mountains that make the pics so stunning! Well done!
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 9:53 pm

Well worth the climb to get that view and those shots mate. Thumsup

How many days did you go for? Just that I've counted 24 meals so far Eat Eat Eat Eat lolol

That chicken & chips on brown paper looked the biz Eat rules
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 9:59 pm

They were, but Mrs Db thought they were unhealthy for me, women have no taste lol! we got 14 days out there
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles   Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greece, Island of Limnos (Lemnos), Myrina, Delboy Rambles

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: GREECE includes Greek Islands :: RESORT REVIEW SECTION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com