Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Santa Ponsa June 2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ianb

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 12:20 pm

We have recently returned from a great 11 nights at Santa Ponsa. Flights out with Jet2 were excellent and we then used Janerbus private transfers from the airport, also excellent. We arrived at The Portofino/Sorrento apartments around 8pm and were allocated our two bedroom apartment in the Sorrento Block, all 2 and 3 bed apartments are in the rear Sorrento block with 1 bedroom only in Portofino. We were on the top 7th floor and I was impressed with the great Balcony view looking out over two pools and then the bay and beach.

The apartments were spacious, fairly basic but clean. Very friendly reception staff and regular towel changes etc. The location was excellent, across the road down a few steps and you were on the large sandy beach. Would recommend to all, except those who insist on 4 star plush.

The beach is superb, a good 1000 metres long and maybe 90 yards deep. Gently shelfing into the very calm sea so ideal for the kids. We spent almost every day here, kids playing on the lilos, building sand sculptures and having lunch picnics.

The side of the resort we stayed on was the quieter end, the road along this side of the bay was lined with numerous restaurants of which Bar 8 and grill had the best quality food (fine dining!). Rhien was easily the best for value. Massive portions of quality Spanish Cuisine at cheap prices. We ate in both twice.

There was a lovely pine walk across to the far side of the resort, a short cut if you didnt want to walk along the road looking at shops and bars. The kids loved looking for the Bright green parrots that lived in the pine woods. If yopu look up in the trees you can spot their communal nests and se them peeking out.

As you hit the far end of the beach and turn right the resort took on a much different feel, very busy, noisy Irish bars lined the road with bar PR's pestering you as you passed each bar. I was less keen on this area as we were a family with young children but for groups without kids some great lively bars with discos and live bands etc. It wasnt what we wanted so we only walked this area a few times to use Bar code 7 which was a family bar with decent live entertainment.

If you turned left at the far end of the beach it was a little less frantic and there were some good bars and restaurants. Follow this road for a 10 minutes walk up a slight hill and you came to a large Spanish Square. The ouside perimeter is lined with numerous bars, the outer edges mainly Irish bars and then as you neared the stage it was Spanish bars. We spent 5 great nights in the square. At 8.30pm "Maria" does a kids disco and kids games with party dances, she is superb 10/10. This is followed at 9.30pm by one of 7 tribute bands. We saw Take That, Abba, Westlife and Steps but missed out on Lady Gaga (unfortunately) Drinks were reasonable, even if you sat at the front of the square near the stage, 2.80E for a pint of local beer from the Spanish bars. The Irish bars further back were slightly cheaper.

We had some lovely meals out and Meson del Rey, Bar 8 and Grill and Rhien were our favs plus the superb Restaurant El Jardin up near the Square. We had one bad experience at XALOC, I ordered Pealla for 2 which came as it does in its large pan, 50% was dished out and it was tasty, the remainer was left in the pan as is tradition for a second helping. Ours was placed on a large beer barrel at the entrance, next to where we sat but was moved when a crowd gathered looking at the menu, a waiter then picked it up and gave the 50% left to another table who had already eaten all their paella in their two helpings! I pointed this out to the waiter who blatantly lied and said he had dished up all our Paella! Needless to say we left no tip and it completely spoilt the meal and we didnt return there.

The weather was excellent, hot ans sunny, hence trips out of the resort were very limited. We got the bus into Palma Nova once, 7.75 euros for 5 of us one way. We played Mini Golf at Katmundu in Palma Nova, had lunch and a walk round then got the same bus back (20 minutes journey one way)

Overall Santa Ponsa is a lovely resort that i'd recommend to families and singles alike, It does seem to have something for everyone,
the only things lacking for us was any water sports, if you want the banana rides and parascending then you have to go off into Magaluf/palma Nova. We may return one day but im one who like sto try different resorts every year!

Portofino/ Sorrento apts
Santa Ponsa June 2012 Porto
Balcony View
Santa Ponsa June 2012 Balcview
Nearby little beach
Santa Ponsa June 2012 Little

I'll post more pics when i get chance.

Last edited by ianb on Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 12:31 pm

An excellent write up Ian, rep coming your way! rules
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 1:31 pm

Anothere rep for you . . . Keep it up! cheers
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 2:14 pm

What a cracking review Ian I really enjoyed that, great view from your balcony over looking the bay. Have a rep my friend. clap

ianb

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 5:52 pm

few more pics

Early evening in the square
Santa Ponsa June 2012 Square1

Pine walk behind beach
Santa Ponsa June 2012 Pinewalk

Maria getting the kids (and parents) going.
Santa Ponsa June 2012 Sqmaria

Safe waters for kids to Lilo the day away.
Santa Ponsa June 2012 Lilo

main beach
Santa Ponsa June 2012 Beach-2

Last edited by ianb on Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
beeech
Lil 'ol wine drinker
beeech

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 5:58 pm

rep from me too !

The water looks amazing................... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 6:01 pm

Yep Im repping all the way

ianb

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 6:04 pm

Nice view of the beach whilst having lunch at Jamie cafe. Directly facing Portofino apts.

Santa Ponsa June 2012 Cafeview

loved the mini golf at Palma Nova. Tricky Putt for Sophie!

Santa Ponsa June 2012 Golf

Killing time with the kids waiting on the transfer back to the airport.
Santa Ponsa June 2012 Home
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 6:38 pm

Everyone has a lovely tan. I hate that bit ,waiting for to go home

roamer
Girl Power Member
roamer

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Enjoyed you review Ian. Rep from me.
Back to top Go down
http://fiona-king.co.uk
ianb

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Thanks for comments, wish we were still there. Ive edited initial write up correcting a few typos and adding the odd word or three.

Next Holiday Dorset UK in August, lets hope the weather improves by then.

cheers Cool
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 7:13 pm

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh dont forget we have a worldwide travel review section as well,there is a UK section within it, if your upto it would love to see some photos and a little review of Dorset as well. EEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeee I sound cheeky but love looking at all these places. Ive done a review of my hometown on there South Shields.

theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Killing time with the kids .?????

Kids . . . looks like 2 young ladies you have there . . . . You'll know all about it this time next year! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chelsearo

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 9:29 am

Ian, nice review mate, I think that sums up the place pretty well!

Shame you had a bad time in Xaloc, must admit, it must have been an off night, they are usually spot on!!

Nice snaps too!
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 1:42 pm

A fantastic & very honest review Ian, with fabulous photo's of your holiday. Sounds like you all had a great time. Rep from me as well mate. clap clap

Destination Expert
Britchick

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 9:33 am

great review ian and I agree with Chelsea ro, Xaloc is usually excellent . Which waiter was it ? Not the one with the shaven head, as he is usually so professional ??? So, what did you think of Rhein, I have heard so much about it recently and have never actually been, but I intend to check it out in August . Is it as good as everyone says and do you have to queue up to get a table ???
Back to top Go down
chelsearo

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 10:08 am

Same here, Rhein seems to be good food and good value, is it oppistite Bar no8?

May try it in July, then I will do my review, I PROMISE!
Back to top Go down
Britchick
Destination Expert
Britchick

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 10:18 am

yeah, yeah....heard that before ! You are a review tease Roland ! .....I'm not sure exactly where Rhein is, but its in that general direction......We shall await your fab review with baited breath !!!!!
Back to top Go down
chelsearo

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 10:24 am

Its up that way, to be honest if it is the place I think it is, it doesn't look much, but that doesn't bother me! Also, is that where you go for your curry, on that side of the bay ?

Don't build up my review, I cant handle all this pressure!!!
Back to top Go down
Britchick
Destination Expert
Britchick

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 10:40 am

yes the Indian next to Bar 8 is really nice, food fab and waiters very polite and the toilets are really clean and spotless.....always a good sign !
I am sure you can live up to all the hype .........just believe your own publicity ! Can't wait for this review !!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
chelsearo

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 10:53 am

Do they do a take away? The one up by you is ok but always looking for more!

Ian, hope you don't mind us hijacking a bit!!!
Back to top Go down
Britchick
Destination Expert
Britchick

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 12:41 pm

i don't actually know, got taken there by my friend who lives there, so I shall ask her.
the one near me ? do you mean the himalaya something or other.....i think that's what its called. It's ok there, although I haven't been for a while, just remember one of the things you put on the pops was absolutely lethal .....so HOT !!!!
....Ian , did you try Arkles, i saw that was on your list of places to try. I fancy having breakfast there, as it has such good reviews and people seem to rave about it . Have you tried there Roland ? I guess its a bit of a trek for us but it might be worth it, especially if its a late brekkie, then a trip over to the Crown after seems the logical thing to do ! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
chelsearo

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Haven't been to Arkles, again heard good things about that!

Your find who lives out there, is she a singer? Moocher recomended I got in touch as I needed a plumber, not that she does a bit of plumbing when not performing, but had a good contact!!!

This is a proper bit of hijacking!

Ro
Back to top Go down
Britchick
Destination Expert
Britchick

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 2:29 pm

lol, no you're talking about Nikki, her husband has a building company . My friend used to own Greenfields, the lovely little cafe that shut down a year or two ago.
And yep, this is a major bit of hijacking !!!
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 22, 2012 2:50 pm

I think that Ian would not mind your hijacking his thread Ro, when he reads your review of Rhein mate. wink

Santa Ponsa June 2012 _
PostSubject: Re: Santa Ponsa June 2012   Santa Ponsa June 2012 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Santa Ponsa June 2012

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: MAJORCA SECTION :: MAJORCA ACCOMMODATION / MAJORCA RESORT REVIEW SECTIONS :: SANTA PONSA :: SANTA PONSA RESORT-
Jump to:  
Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com