Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Maldives, Kuramathi

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Maldives, Kuramathi  _
PostSubject: Maldives, Kuramathi    Maldives, Kuramathi  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 2:47 pm

Thanks to my new scanner I have gone back twelve years with this review but although accommodation would have improved the place will never change. Firstly I must tell anybody thinking of going to the Maldives, IMO always go AI as everything is imported in and is expensive. Now you may be tee total but even a coke then would cost 3 dollars and I met a chap in the airport who ran up a £1000 drinks bill on a more expensive island. The temperature in the Maldives rarely changes from 80 degrees morning and night. So you will always be drinking even if it’s a bottle of expensive water.

Secondly always pick an island that has its own house reef. As the most beautiful fish are swimming next to you and you are not relying on a boat to take you to the best fish.

If you are a diver, it is one of the best diving places in the world but unfortunately the warm sea has bleached the surface coral (Global Warming). One thing to bear in mind the nearest decompression chamber could involve a seaplane trip to the capital Male. Also do not pick early May to late October as they have a monsoon season and boy can it rain then.

Some islands do have Doctors but others can be a boat trip away and the hospital is in Male.

Having got over those points, my wife and I went with Kuoni to Kuramathi Village on the island of Kuramathi in Nov 1998. There were 2 further small resorts on the island Blue Moon and The Cottage Club which both had water bungalows but our accommodation was land based, the village was the only resort that was all inclusive of the three.

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img05510

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img05210
The flight from Gatwick took around 12 hours and the approach to the Capital Male, was an unbelievable sight of a sea of turquoise, cobalt blue and white. Two islands offshore from Male have been joined together to make an airport and runway the Island trip involved a seaplane and on arrival the bus took us across the runway to where the seaplanes were based.

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img01810
A lot of the sea planes were flown by Aussie pilots and we shared a plane with ten others to Kuramathi. This was an adventure in itself and we all felt like Indiana Jones’s as we took off. Again the views were wonderful. We passed Male an island of just over a square mile which contained about 103,000 inhabitants and is the 2nd most densely populated island in the world.

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img01910

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img02310
As we approached our island Kuramathi, the seaplane taxied to a floating raft and we alighted on to it and a boat came out to pick us up.

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img02610
We were taken to a lovely air conditioned bungalow near the water’s edge, we had been luckier than some as these bungalows were a new addition to the island and were slightly better than others but accommodation was to a high standard and air conditioned anyway.

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img02810
A young lad from Indian looked after our room and was proud of it and kept it immaculate.

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img03210
Food was ok lots of curries and other choices daytime and theme nights e.g. like Italian or Chinese and fresh caught fish but food was not a priority on this holiday, eating IMO was something to get in the way of looking at beautiful fish. Our waiter was a more mature gent and a chat with him revealed that he worked 10 months on the Island each year and only saw his wife and children for two months when his vacation time came around and you could see him holding back the tears as he told us.

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img07010

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img13010
The number of holiday makers in the village are fairly small, less than 100 people and everyone soon becomes old time friends sitting around the beach bars in the evenings. The atmosphere is so relaxed and the Maldives islands slogan is no news, no shoes is very true as a world war could break out and you wouldn't know.

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img04110

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img06210
The beaches are pure white coral sand and the sea remains a warm 80 degrees just like a warm bath and you don’t want to get out. The fish swim around totally oblivious to you. Black tip sharks swim by and chase the fry which hug the shore line. A couple of feet in and you see some colourful parrot fish, yellow snappers, tiger fish and endless varieties.

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img04710
In the trees flying foxes (bats with fox like heads) could be seen picking away at the fruit.

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img06310

The package allowed us to borrow snorkel apparatus for free but it is worth taking your own as ill fitting masks do not always keep out the water and you’re biting on used mouth pieces.

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img20210

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img20310
This not a tank it real

Within the package we could also go night fishing a couple of times and each time we went the ocean was spectacularly lit by neon type garfish.

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img11610
There was also a free boat trip to a local island to see the people and buy goods from them and walking around, they did not pressure us in any way.

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img12910
The sight of someone holding a large fish got me going on a game fishing trip with 3 others,

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img08910
We left by boat early at 6am and we hooked into one which didn’t seem to be big so they decided it was my go. I landed a 25lb barracuda but it was the only bite we had, thanks guys.

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img08610
I spoke to my neighbour in the next bungalow who was interested in going and wanted me to go again. Having got away with not being sick once (just) I declined and he went out with others. The next day the game boat was so late they sent out a search party to look for them (worried wives); they had caught so many Sailfish to 100lbs they did not want to come back.

If you don’t swim you still don’t miss out, the fish are in such abundance you see them off the beach on the pier, everywhere.

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img12310

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img12110
In the evening large stingray swim in and a member of staff feeds them and you have to look and pinch yourself that you are not in an aquarium, all whilst listening to Rod Steward singing Sailing with a pint of beer in my hand.

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img07810

For the divers there is a diving school on the island and they go out on special trips. The hammerhead sharks pass the island at 7:00am each morning, nobody knows why but if you brave enough you can crouch down with other divers and watch them. There was 100lb+ moray eel a little further out in our bay but that was too frightening for me but brave Mrs Delboy saw it and massive grouper fish. Dolphins came into our bay one evening but they are not as friendly in the Indian Ocean as in the Pacific.

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img12810
Sunsets with a pint of beer are something else and the relaxed atmosphere I shall always cherish.

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img10310

Maldives, Kuramathi  Img09310
Unfortunately the prices since we have been have doubled but if you are ever lucky enough the Maldives for relaxing, sunbathing, snorkelling, diving and the camaraderie are an experience of a lifetime. Our homeward trip was 2hr boat trip

Last edited by delboy on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:18 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
WirralScouse
DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

Maldives, Kuramathi  _
PostSubject: Re: Maldives, Kuramathi    Maldives, Kuramathi  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 3:21 pm

Wow.Paradise or what?
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

Maldives, Kuramathi  _
PostSubject: Re: Maldives, Kuramathi    Maldives, Kuramathi  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 4:12 pm

Fantastic yet again what an amazing adventure, I love wild life and really need to go to one of these many exotic places thats been posted on here, many thanks it was awesome.

majorcamembers

Maldives, Kuramathi  _
PostSubject: Re: Maldives, Kuramathi    Maldives, Kuramathi  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 4:56 pm

IDYLLIC, my husband has dreamed of a holiday like this for years.
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Maldives, Kuramathi  _
PostSubject: Re: Maldives, Kuramathi    Maldives, Kuramathi  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 7:10 pm

WOW, one of the best reviews with photo's by far that you have done. Absolutely fantastic, nice one Delboy. cheers

Majorca Mad
Mark

Maldives, Kuramathi  _
PostSubject: Re: Maldives, Kuramathi    Maldives, Kuramathi  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 11:17 pm

Wow wow wow having done some reviews I know how much work went into that Del, it's much appreciated, the beach pic before the bat one was my fave, but the quality is real good for scanned pics Very Happy
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Maldives, Kuramathi  _
PostSubject: Re: Maldives, Kuramathi    Maldives, Kuramathi  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 11:23 pm

I had to scan them in the basic mode, the best scan I did from a negative of Lanzarote was 20 meg to large to up load
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Maldives, Kuramathi  _
PostSubject: Re: Maldives, Kuramathi    Maldives, Kuramathi  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 1:04 am

If you use a site such as photobucket (which is free) to 'host' the images (once scanned) you can edit them to 'large' which fits much better onto forums such as this without too much loss of grain.
Back to top Go down
Hayzer
ALL ROUND DESTINATION EXPERT
Hayzer

Maldives, Kuramathi  _
PostSubject: Re: Maldives, Kuramathi    Maldives, Kuramathi  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 8:03 pm

Once again Delboy it looks fantastic, great review.

The negative you scanned how did that turn out, what software did you use to convert it into positive so to speak

Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Maldives, Kuramathi  _
PostSubject: Re: Maldives, Kuramathi    Maldives, Kuramathi  Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 12:56 pm

Sent you a pm Hayzer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Maldives, Kuramathi  _
PostSubject: Re: Maldives, Kuramathi    Maldives, Kuramathi  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Maldives, Kuramathi

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: ASIA includes Maldives, Thailand :: RESORT REVIEW SECTION-
Jump to:  
Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com