Share | 

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia _
PostSubject: Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia   Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 6:43 pm

Stoupa revisited in May 2010

Mrs Delboy and I went to Stoupa 15 years ago on a cheap last minute deal. It was our first Greek holiday and we stayed at the Lefkatron Hotel on a bed and breakfast basis.

During that stay we had a trip to Olympia and were shown where the flame for the Olympic Games is lit every four years. I will write a separate review on that trip.

We don’t usually go back to the same place twice but we were very impressed by the friendly people and the laid back way of life in Greece and it converted us to see other Greek places.  For certain reasons we wanted to make sure we had a good holiday in May this year so we opted to return to Stoupa.

The volcanic eruption which then threaten closure of the airports on the morning of our flight left us unsure whether we would actually get away, but we did (airports closed 6 hours later)

Stoupa is an 1 ½ hours coach ride from Kalamata Airport and the road travels around many scenic mountains, the crow would probably take 15 minutes. We booked with Sunvil who were advertising a group of apartments in Stoupa for the first time in their brochure.  The tour company provided us with a taxi and the journey took less than an hour.

Now Greek people usually have basic accommodation but our apartment had been freshly painted and tiled and the furniture all matched and the fridge was new. The bed was IMO too firm. We had a west facing balcony but it was too hot to sit out in the early evening, even in May.

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000711

Walking around the resort, I am pleased to say, it had hardly changed in fifteen years. IMO, Stoupa is a time capsule amongst the Greek mountains, where prices of food and drink have remained reasonable. Fillet steak and chips with coleslaw was 10 euro’s and lamb chops 7 euro’s at our favourite restaurant Perasma.

Perasma Restaurant

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000710

Most restaurants only differed by the odd euro in their food prices. House wine was local and came in ½ litres for 3 euro’s and all the restaurants that we tried the wine in was very drinkable. Beer was around 2 ½ euro’s.

Locally grown olives, drizzled on toast came as starters for free; in our favourite restaurant whilst others gave bread. When ordering the bill, customers were treated to a free liqueur or coffee. Generally, a table charge of around 2 euro’s was added on the total bill.

Just a couple of random menu's I photograped

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000712

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000711

The Panorama  restaurant IMO had the best view of the mountains and Kalogria beach whilst we were eating.

Panorama Restaurant View

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000712

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000810

Whilst at the end of the town, a restaurant elevated from the promenade gave stunning views of the sunsets.

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000713

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000714

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000715

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000716

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000717

Stoupa has two beaches the first is the town beach and it has a promenade with restaurants and a few shops and a supermarket. The town’s beach, at this moment of writing, has a small area fenced off, as turtles have laid eggs.

Town Beach

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000720

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000610

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000718

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000719

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000721

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000722

View of the town from the peninsular

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000723

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000724

The second beach Kalogria beach is much bigger and has several restaurants amongst the trees.  One restaurant run by Dimitri’s called Prijipas had specials on each day, including a large beer for 2 euro’s and was very popular with the regular brits, who holiday there each year. Two chairs and a parasol was 7 euro’s on both beaches. There is a mountain spring which runs into the sea at this beach and the water is much colder than in the town

Kalogria Beach

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000725

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000729

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000726

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000727

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000728

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000730

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000731

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000811

Until the end of June, a join in walk starts from the Lefkatron Hotel each Tuesday and all are welcome. On a cool day, there is also a coastal walk to the next town called Aghios Nikolaos which takes an hour each way and on arrival it has a lovely harbour and restaurants to relax in and have a beer.

The Walk

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000732

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000733

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000734

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000735

flowers on the way

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000736

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000737

Aghios Nikolaos

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000739

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000740

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000741

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000742

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000743

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000745

My reward for the walk, Tuna salad and a beer.

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia P1000738

Summing up a place for beach lovers, relaxing with a book, walkers and eating out in the evening

PS see the resort live now on webcam up dates every few seconds double click on the webcam pictures to enlarge

http://www.zorbas.de/webcam/eindex.php

Last edited by delboy on Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:11 am; edited 15 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia   Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia Icon_minitimeSun Aug 01, 2010 6:57 pm

Delboy strikes again. Wink Another fantastic review, again with the photo's, makes you think that you are almost with him in Greece, as he recounts the holiday. cheers

Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia   Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2010 12:30 am

Fab review and if I remember on Ill stick the link for the webcam on our main site

delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Olympia Trip   Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 7:24 pm

Whilst staying in Stoupa fifteen years ago we decided to have an excursion to Olympia. Stoupa is quite remote, it’s surrounded by mountains, and the trip involved an early morning rise. The coach took us back to the town of Kalamata (airport) which took about an 1 ½ hours and we stopped and had breakfast before journeying a further 1 ½ hours to reach Olympia.

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia Img14510

It was in the nineties, as we followed our guide around. Lots of the columns of the ancient city still stand but an earthquake has left everything in ruins.

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia Img14610

The guide took us to the place where the flame is lit for the Olympic Games. The history says that the original games had a flame burning throughout the tournament and it was introduced again in the 1928 games. The torch relay system was later used in 1936 and since that year many athletes and celebrities carry the flame to the Host Nation’s Games.

The place where the flame is lit is in the foreground of this picture and consists of a group of rocks and inside there is a concave mirror. Eleven virgins perform a ceremony and the flame is lit by the sun at a certain point of the day.

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia Img14810

The ancient games area, which one would imagine a great arena, was rather surprising, as it was just a sanded area surrounded by grass banks, legend says that Hercules paced out 200 steps and called it a Stadion (Latin for Stadium which became a distance). Most of the events involved running, boxing, wrestling, a pentathlon, combat events and even a chariot race. Mrs Delboy reminded me that the Athletes ran naked and it is said that a cook from a town called Elis was the first Olympic champion.  (So with all these virgins and naked men about it must have been quite an event?)

Some of the valuable artifice found in the city has been displayed in the museum opposite the site. Various statues of gods are on display there but the original statue of Zeus, which was 39ft high and once adorned the Olympic Temple, it became one of the original Seven Wonders of the World and was said to have been removed by Roman Emperor Theodosius II  to Constantinople and later destroyed in a fire in 426 ad.

I assume that we were not allowed to take pictures in the museum at that time as I do not have any photographs.

On the way back we stopped at a tavern for tea

All in all, an archaeologist heaven (Sorry If any facts are wrong as I am not an archaeologist)

Last edited by delboy on Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:17 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia   Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia Icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Very enjoyable Del, many thanks.
Back to top Go down
sarah

sarah

PostSubject: Re: Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia   Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 10:36 am

Oh Delboy, what have you done??? Very Happy it's been 3years since we were in Stoupa, went for many years, beautiful place, but so expensive now, need to win the lottery, just looking at the pics, I was transported back in time, fab location and the people, taverna's bars, not to mention the ice cream parlour!! glad I found this forum, ploghing through slowly, take care
Sarah
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia   Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 10:55 am

Oh Dear Sarah

Do you mean accom as i found Stoupa to be much cheaper than Puerto Pollensa

Last edited by delboy on Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sarah

sarah

PostSubject: Re: Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia   Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 11:02 am

We looked at Stoupa last year and it was difficult getting flights to Kalamata, the cost had almost doubled, and because of the collapse of Kosma the holiday lets are very few and far between, I know that we could have got a friend who lives there to organise a holiday, but the cost was just out of our price range, where as it was £365.00 each self food and flight, we usually took the same again for catering, drinks etc, it was a good deal more, sad to say, I love Stoupa made some good friends, heyho.. perhaps another year, at the moment we have 'discovered' AI, which for us is great, I do nothing but enjoy the rest Very Happy . Take care
Sarah.
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia   Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 12:15 am

Once again . . . lovely familiar pics . . . love them all - what I like best about Stoupa is the contrast of the mountains as a backdrop . . it's hard to capture it in a photo . . they always seem to look lower than I remembered them . . . but your 12th pic shows them off beautifully . . . Rep!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia   Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greece, The Mainland, Stoupa, Olympia

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: GREECE includes Greek Islands :: RESORT REVIEW SECTION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com