Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Tropico Playa Hotel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Tropico Playa Hotel _
PostSubject: Tropico Playa Hotel   Tropico Playa Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 10:50 am

We stayed at the Hotel Tropico Playa 23 Sep - 7 Oct 2011.
I was expecting it to be easy to find faults with this hotel, given my research from reviews on places such as Holidaytruths and Trip Advisor, but in reality the only major point that detracts from a regular 3 star offering, is the lack of a TV in the bedroom.
From speaking to other guests, much also depends on which room you are allocated. The ones at the side and rear didn’t appear to be as well received as our room was.

Tropico Playa Hotel P1000529

The hotel is centrally located in Palmanova, opposite the central beach.
Check in is easy, all receptionists speak good English.

The pool area is very much on the small side, however, we was aware of this when booking, so no great surprises for us. The pool area is locked until 9.30am, so no sunbed reserving took place. By going down at 9.25 and waiting for them to open, we always got a sunbed. One end of the pool gets the sun from opening until the shadow starts creeping over from 2 pm ish. By 3.30 the whole area is in shade.
The other end of the pool is mostly shaded, although different spots are sunny as the day goes by.

Tropico Playa Hotel P1000424

The pool bar is staffed efficiently by Lola, open from 10am – 6 pm. All drinks available, snacks consist of sandwiches and crisps, popcorn, cakes in the afternoon. There’s also a self service coffee machine.

Tropico Playa Hotel P1000425

The access to the pool is via a TV area, full range of UK channels via a Sky box, inc Sky Sports. Many were watching Jeremy Kyle in the mornings!

Tropico Playa Hotel P1000426

We were located in the main block, on the 5th floor, which is effectively the top floor, as the floor above isn’t used. Only one small lift available, but never seemed a problem, as there are only about 10 rooms per floor, never had to wait long for the lift.
The room was a typically sized hotel room, no surprises.

Tropico Playa Hotel P1000428
Tropico Playa Hotel P1000430

I’d have said that the room has had a makeover within the last 2 years, paint still appeared fresh, white grout on the tiles was still ‘white’. Maid service was good, room was clean, regular towel and sheet changes.
Large safe located in the wardrobe, €18 a week to hire, €6 deposit. Fridge also available to hire, €15 per week.

Tropico Playa Hotel P1000370

The view from the balcony was superb, panoramic views across the bay.

Tropico Playa Hotel P1000369
Tropico Playa Hotel P1000368
Tropico Playa Hotel P1000367

Also stunning sunrises on offer every day if you are up early enough! Well worth getting up to see in my opinion.

Tropico Playa Hotel P1000666

The hotel is all inclusive, and I found that the food offered was of a reasonable quality, in keeping with most Spanish 3 * hotels I have stayed in. There are only so many ways that a 3* hotel can present a cooked breakfast, but for the other meals there was a varied selection. It seemed that sometimes you fancied a bit of everything on offer, other times you wouldn’t fancy anything. Roast beef with proper Yorkshire Puddings one night, Liver, Bacon & Onions another night of particular note. Hot Mussels in White wine one or two lunchtimes.
The food could have been served a bit hotter IMO, and the lack of a microwave is a minus point for me.
I also feel that a selection of fresh bread could be offered, rather than just bread rolls.

Tropico Playa Hotel P1000474

The size of the restaurant is small, but it’s a small hotel, only once or twice did we need to wait a few minutes for a table.

Tropico Playa Hotel P1000475

I quite enjoyed the jovial way the hotel is run. The dining room experience is quite Fawlty Towers at times, - on purpose. Gail, playing Polly, when informed that the Sangria had run out, told me “Well I don’t drink it so I’m not bothered!” Miguel, effectively the Maitre’D, one day announced, “People, there is a queue, so please eat quickly!”

On the whole the hotel was clean with efficient staff, and in my opinion represented a good value for money option for holidaymakers.
Others that had stayed before the All Inclusive came in this year, said that it was better before. I can’t comment on that.
Perhaps the downfall of an all inclusive hotel that offers competitive prices, is that it attracts groups of people that are seemingly on a mission to drink the hotel dry. We had a couple of groups of males 30 – 50 ages, stay for about 4 day ‘benders’, so relaxing quietly by the pool wasn’t quite achieved whilst they were being boisterous. Not rude or unruly though.

I would go again in if the deal was good.

Back to top Go down
WirralScouse
DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

Tropico Playa Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Tropico Playa Hotel   Tropico Playa Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 11:53 am

Rep from me for an excellent review.This is useful for me to read as I know where it is and a real alternative to Hotel Bahia nearby which I was considering for next year.Both handy for Cappucinos Coffee House.

Mark.Can the overbath shower head be fixed to the wall while showering or is it strictly handheld? Can you book BB or does it have to be AI?
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Tropico Playa Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Tropico Playa Hotel   Tropico Playa Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Wirral. The shower/tap arrangement is shower head only, either fixed to the wall for regular showering, or hand held. he bath has a plug and the couple of times we had a bath we just laid the shower head in the bath tub and let it fill from there. It filled up in approx the same time as a regular tap.
Never ran out of hot water. Always good pressure on the shower during showering. No drastic temp changes during showering.

I also purchased wi-fi for 2 weeks, cost €20, this worked fine downstairs but the reception was a bit slower and dropped a couple of times when in the room on the 5th floor.
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Tropico Playa Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Tropico Playa Hotel   Tropico Playa Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 4:54 pm

Your usual excellent review, thanks Mark
Back to top Go down
theboss
Girl Power Member
theboss

Tropico Playa Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Tropico Playa Hotel   Tropico Playa Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 4:56 pm

Another rep winging it's way Mark - well done! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

Tropico Playa Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Tropico Playa Hotel   Tropico Playa Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 5:33 pm

Well done Mark a rep from me and a great review cheers

roamer
Girl Power Member
roamer

Tropico Playa Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Tropico Playa Hotel   Tropico Playa Hotel Icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 6:53 pm

Excellent review Mark. Rep from me too.
Back to top Go down
http://fiona-king.co.uk
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Tropico Playa Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Tropico Playa Hotel   Tropico Playa Hotel Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 11:40 pm

The usual top notch review we all expect from you Mark, a rep from me as well mate. :-bd:

Tropico Playa Hotel _
PostSubject: Re: Tropico Playa Hotel   Tropico Playa Hotel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tropico Playa Hotel

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: MAJORCA SECTION :: MAJORCA ACCOMMODATION / MAJORCA RESORT REVIEW SECTIONS :: PALMA NOVA :: PALMA NOVA ACCOMMODATION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com