Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
WirralScouse
DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria _
PostSubject: Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria   Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 1:15 am

No photos sorry.Austria deserves photos.It is a scenic mountainous country that is landlocked (has no coastline) and is heavily dependent on Germany its neighbour especially for tourists although Brits like it.

I had an e-mail from Thomson Lakes and Mountains (as a former customer) about sale prices so selected this hotel/resort for 1st week in September.Price of the whole package flights/transfers/ 3* Hotel HB with free drinks throughout dinner was less than £400 each of two,but I paid £100 extra each for a larger room with balcony.So with CC charges I paid £990 for the 2 of us and that included diabolical in-flight meals.(Never again-give me peanuts or Pringles).

The whole holiday was brilliant value for money.The town-centre hotel had very friendly staff and the owner Michael Grander was in evidence every day.The breakfast had the same selection every day (hot and cold) and for the evening dinner you had to pre-select your courses' choices at breakfast.It wasn't gourmet but the salad buffet was a good filler and the quality of the main course was high and the portions too large for me.Our room was not air-conditioned (unfortunately as it was stinking hot for most of our week) and very worn though clean.All rooms are being re-fitted this autumn.

Not for late night night party animals.St Johann very quiet after 10pm.Take a good book (or 3).

I selected St Johann (I have been there before though not to stay) because it is on the main railway line with good bus services.We had days out in Worgl,Zell am See and Ellmau.Quite a story about our day in Ellmau.We went up and down Hartkaiser Mountain on the funicular railway and on the walk back to Ellmau village we ventured into Rest Bettina for a light lunch.It was a delightful lunch and I thought I recognised the waitress.I asked her if she worked at Hotel Hochfilzer about 11 years ago.Yes she was the walking guide employed by the hotel in 1997 when I and my ex were on an active walking holiday there!

Would Austria suit you? Not if you are Magaluf types.Far too sedate and boring.But if you like fresh air,serious walking,strolling, quality food and drink and the efficiency of it perhaps.....

We got our moneysworth.
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria   Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 7:33 am

Glad you had a good time WS. Sorry there's no pics Sad we'll have to teach you how to put them up, it's pretty simple. Think I'd enjoy Austria. My dad was based in Innsbruck for a few months many years ago, in the snow season, brilliant pics. My dad used to work for Agfa Geveart, the camera / film company, an anglo german company, don't see the 'Geveart' bit mentioned much these days.
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria   Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 8:41 am

Hoping to see Wirral and seven children coming over the hill but a good review Wirral cheers
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria   Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 11:32 am

Good review WS, photo's would have been nice, as it sounds beautiful.

DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

PostSubject: Re: Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria   Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 10:32 pm

Son demonstrated my new Blackberry Curve 2 weeks ago and I have it sussed now.But so far no demo of how to load and transmit fotos.It's not that I want to deny you all the visuals, it's a tekkie matter.If you would prefer me to suspend reviews until I know about posting fotos I will.My pictures are in my head but they are no good to you.
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria   Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 12:48 pm

Can you physically transfer the pics onto your PC yet? It's so simple. Take the card out of your camera and slot it in to the SD slot? Then just drag and drop the pics into a (new) folder?
Back to top Go down
WirralScouse
DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

PostSubject: Re: Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria   Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 4:02 pm

Thanx Mark.The pictures taken on my digi aren't on the memory card they are on CDs and my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop's hard drive and I have paper prints too.Also I have negs and paper prints off a film camera.I I have a scanner but no idea how to use it.There won't be any snaps of Austria holiday for a good reason - neither of us took any this year.I have printed off 8 pages of delboy's "One way to post a review including pictures" of Sept 2010.Son got stuck and was too short of time to go through the directions.I also have printed off Daryn's post of Hayzer's "Posting pictures and photos" Sep 11,2010. One day the poor lad (age 44! Laughing ) will have some time on his hands to demo for me.
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria   Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Ha ha Very Happy

The only other thing I can offer is that, on my scanner/copier/printer (Canon), there is a simple button on the front marked 'scan'.
Lift cover, place picture, close lid, press 'scan' button. It's simple as that. Then follow on screen instructions to save the scanned pic.
Back to top Go down
roamer
Girl Power Member
roamer

PostSubject: Re: Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria   Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 8:25 pm

If we can get access to a laptop I can do a demonstration when in PN. I love to read reviews with or without pics so please don't stop posting them.

I definately will try to go to Austria one day. Also got Canada, Thailand and Croatia on the list so best get saving.
Back to top Go down
http://fiona-king.co.uk
WirralScouse
DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

PostSubject: Re: Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria   Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 9:21 pm

Thanx roamer.I have been to Croatia twice (Porec and Rovinj) and Canada three times.What I liked about Croatia was the friendliness of the locals although it was only skin-deep as it is your money they are after really and you have to watch your change.The cleanliness of the sea (mostly rocky beaches few sandy).Eating out was fine for fish but a bit uninspired otherwise and nowhere near as good as in Italy its near neighbour.Drinks are reasonably priced.It has become popular with ignorant Russian tourists and that is a negative unfortunately.They do not know how to behave internationally.Be sure to find an hotel with air con as many do not have it.I have not been to Dubrovnik but it is on my list,possibly on a cruise.

Canada is a massive country.Most of it is NoMansLand.The west is very scenic I took the week's westbound tour from Calgary across the Rockies to Vancouver and Vancouver Island.Also stayed twice with my cousin who lives near Victoria on the Island.It's all about the scenery, the wildlife and the Great Outdoors.I found the local people I met to be quite repressed,self-obsessed and subdued which was not what I expected especially compared to their neighbours in nearby US.Food is big there.Salmon is cheap and the wild Pacific salmon is so much tastier than the farmed stuff we get.Steaks are plentiful and though tender I thought they lacked real flavour.Drinks especially wine are expensive.I also stayed in Toronto for a City Break which I did not enjoy.
Back to top Go down
roamer
Girl Power Member
roamer

PostSubject: Re: Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria   Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 9:41 pm

I have been to Canada years ago when I was sweet sixteen. I went with my much loved Grandad now deceased (No pictures) We also started off in Calgary during the stampede. We stayed with my Auntie Frankie and family. They then took us camping in the Rockies, through Banff and Jasper. I remember going in a cable car over Lake Louise and seeing some Black bear cubs, stopping to take pics then legging it back into the car as Mum emerged.
Mostly had good home cooked food or Barbies. All the locals were very kind to me but they were friends of my Aunties. My Cousins still go scrambling in the Rockies despite one of them being almost blind now. They have a website
http://members.shaw.ca/anugara/index.htm

Guess who's mad enough to want some of the action?

Needless to say we are gathering airmiles. I would love to return as I have very fond memories. If I ever learn to scan I can perhaps post some pics but they by no means do it justice.

Forgot to add Hong Kong to my list. I was born there and my dad died shortly afterwards so I was there for only a month or two. Someday I would like to visit his Grave. Not much on my wish list then Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://fiona-king.co.uk
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria   Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2011 11:38 pm

Watch out for them airmiles. I didn't use mine for 3 years and they took them away from me, said they had 'expired'. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria   Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria Icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 9:09 am

Go for it Roamer, with your wish list. :-bd:

PostSubject: Re: Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria   Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hotel Fischer,St Johann in Tirol,Austria

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: AUSTRIA :: HOTEL/ACCOM REVIEW SECTION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com