Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Weymouth 2006

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Weymouth 2006 _
PostSubject: Weymouth 2006   Weymouth 2006 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 9:18 pm

Mrs DB and I booked a week in Weymouth in 2006, this is of course where all the sailing is going to take place in the 2012 Olympic games. For us it was a quiet week away and we booked the Hotel Rex on the seafront. It was a Victoria design building with tall windows and high ceilings.

Weymouth 2006 Dscf0111

Weymouth 2006 Dscf0112

We had a seaview room which had a balcony

Weymouth 2006 Dscf0113

The trouble was straight in front of us was the magic roundabout

Weymouth 2006 Dscf0114

If it was going to run after 10pm Zebedee was going to have his head kick in but it did close down at 6pm, along with the rest of Weymouth

Weymouth 2006 Dscf0115

We were on halfboard and when we entered the dining room, we were the only guests there apart from 100 women from the WI on a meetup.

Staff were a bit pushed to say the least and we had plenty of time to talk between courses. Now the conversation went like this to Mrs DB, "It must be ages since we have had a meet up with our friends from the riding school", as we often had a gathering of the ex class mates for a drink and a meal. Anyway after the meal we decided to have a walk and as we walked out of the hotel, there were two of these friends standing outside, having just parked their car. SPOOKY

Any way we had a lovely evening with them and decided to meet up next day, as it was their last, as they were just down for the weekend

Anyway after a sleep we woke up to a nice morning and soon the rest of Weymouth was waking up to their new day

Weymouth 2006 Dscf0116

Now Weymouth has a big harbour and to get inside with a yacht, one asks for the road bridge to be raised to let the mast through

Weymouth 2006 Dscf0117

Pedestrians can walkover, once it is down to reach a number of pubs and restaurants that are dotted along the edge of the harbour

Weymouth 2006 Dscf0118

They have even built a foodcentre square from converted wharf houses just at the back

Weymouth 2006 Dscf0119

at the very end it turns into a stone jetty, which is good for the anglers.

Weymouth 2006 Dscf0120

Also you get a good view of Weymouth promenade in the distance

Weymouth 2006 Dscf0121

Now over the back of this harbour wall is Weymouth's fortifications and a park, well worth a walk. The Olympic committee want all this area closed off, so they can charge for tickets, some locals are unhappy.

In the distance, i believe, is Chisel beach a natural beach which connects Portland Bill and runs 18 miles and contains an estimated 180 billion pebbles
not sure whether the beach run around the back, I have been there many many years ago.

Weymouth 2006 Dscf0122

There is a prison on this Portland Bill peninsular

Weymouth 2006 Dscf0123

After our walking we visited a classic car show being stage at the pier car park.

My son has a wreck of one of these, which he threatens one day he will do up, until that day, it sits in my garage blocking access to my tools

Weymouth 2006 Dscf0124

Weymouth 2006 Dscf0125

But dad is trying to keep the rust away

Weymouth 2006 Dscf0126

Last edited by delboy on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

Weymouth 2006 _
PostSubject: Re: Weymouth 2006   Weymouth 2006 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 9:37 pm

Nice pics of a place Ive never been before, and a very cool car in your garage. Nice one mate I enjoyed that

Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Weymouth 2006 _
PostSubject: Re: Weymouth 2006   Weymouth 2006 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 8:07 am

Great photo's mate. cheers In the 9th photo down, you sitting on a bench, did you not realise that Mrs. Delboy was behind you, or were you waving to somebody else? wink

Girl Power Member
roamer

Weymouth 2006 _
PostSubject: Re: Weymouth 2006   Weymouth 2006 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 10:00 am

Looks like you had good weather again DB. Never been I don't think unless I was too young to remember. Looks like a nice place. I knew what you mean about the roundabout. Once when one hols with RM's sister and kids,(ibiza I think) we were above a bar with one of those bucking bulls. There was a woman on a mic who was either encouraging people on or commentating on their efforts. It felt like we heard 'ooooh he/she likes a wiggle' at least every 10 mins. hitting himself
Back to top Go down
http://fiona-king.co.uk
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Weymouth 2006 _
PostSubject: Re: Weymouth 2006   Weymouth 2006 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 10:17 am

It was one of my parents favourite places and they went most years and took my brother and I. I experienced my first seasickness in Weymouth harbour, mackerel fishing for 2 hours. In those days, the resorts like Weymouth were packed with people but the exodus abroad ended all that. Now it a job to pick a hotel that is not looking tired. There is a place called the Swannary which was crowded with swans and had childrens attractions like a miniature railway but has since closed. One can still hire a pedalo on the big lake there. The main place for the swans now seems to be Abbotsbury Swannary. Weymouth is also the place to pickup the Seacat Ferries to Jersey and they dominate the harbour when they come in. I'm sure a lot of the hotels cater for one nighters ready to catch a ferry.

I guess this will all change, when the Olympic Games comes to town

But the old Weymouth Clock, as I knew as an 8 year old, still stands proudly on the prom.

Weymouth 2006 Dscf0210
Back to top Go down
beeech
Lil 'ol wine drinker
beeech

Weymouth 2006 _
PostSubject: Re: Weymouth 2006   Weymouth 2006 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 12:37 pm

I had some FAB fish and chips from a shop just by that clock when I went in July...........................! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Weymouth 2006 _
PostSubject: Re: Weymouth 2006   Weymouth 2006 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 12:52 am

delboy wrote:
It was one of my parents favourite places and they went most years and took my brother and I. I experienced my first seasickness in Weymouth harbour, mackerel fishing for 2 hours. In those days, the resorts like Weymouth were packed with people but the exodus abroad ended all that. Now it a job to pick a hotel that is not looking tired. There is a place called the Swannary which was crowded with swans and had childrens attractions like a miniature railway but has since closed. One can still hire a pedalo on the big lake there. The main place for the swans now seems to be Abbotsbury Swannary. Weymouth is also the place to pickup the Seacat Ferries to Jersey and they dominate the harbour when they come in. I'm sure a lot of the hotels cater for one nighters ready to catch a ferry.

I guess this will all change, when the Olympic Games comes to town

But the old Weymouth Clock, as I knew as an 8 year old, still stands proudly on the prom.

Weymouth 2006 Dscf0210

You have known that clock a long time then mate? lol! Time has not stood still. wink

Weymouth 2006 _
PostSubject: Re: Weymouth 2006   Weymouth 2006 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weymouth 2006

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: UNITED KINGDOM :: UK RESORT REVIEW-
Jump to:  
How to make a forum | Nature and Escape | Tourism | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com