Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Cropredy Festival review

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
roamer
Girl Power Member
roamer

Cropredy Festival review _
PostSubject: Cropredy Festival review   Cropredy Festival review Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Cropredy is a village about 3 miles North of Banbury. Generally it is peaceful but once a year in early August, the village hosts a folk festival . The Fairport Cropredy Convention started around 1980 I believe, after Fairport Convention staged a reunion gig in Cropredy home to Dave and Christine Pegg who are band members. Today the village hosts the festival for about 20,000 people. The whole village seems to get involved, they are welcoming and friendly and the whole weekend was a welcome reminder of the better natured side of humanity. A much needed tonic in the present unrest.
We arrived about 11.00am and cruised around the one way system to attempt to make our way to field 4. It is close to the festival field and the village but on arrival it was full so we were sent back to field 7 which we had pasted about 20 minutes previously. C'est la vie, we head back to the 7’s and settle in 7c. Happily at this festival you can park by your tent. Not true of many others so we appreciate not having to trek a mile and a half with tents and all accompanying equipment. Weather look ominously like rain so we throw up the inner room and get the outer shell on in record quick time. The heavens open approximately 10 seconds after we are up. We head for the car and stay there for about 15mins while it pours down. Happily that was the last of the rain except for a few spits and spats. Go to take a picture of our tent and realise, yes you guessed it, we forgot the camera. Photos are from mobile so sorry about the quality.
Cropredy Festival review Croptent
Went with my standard festival footwear
Cropredy Festival review Cropwellies

Wandered off to find some lunch when the rained stopped. Found this sign on the way
Cropredy Festival review Cropbridge
Purchased a scotch egg and an ice cream from the local spar. A cynic might say the price had been inflated a little but it’s hard to say as food prices seem to have gone crazy anyway. Mr R got a chocolate brownie from a mobile store set up in the village near a few stalls. It was very big and very yummy. (had to have a sample for review).
Cropredy Festival review Cropcoffee-1

We then strolled to the Red lion pub. There were bands playing throughout the festival. Beer was about £3.50 per pint. It was pretty busy but most people were either in the garden or the churchyard outside. Lovely atmosphere but as usual the poor ladies always had to queue for the toilets. It was very tempting to stick out a foot and trip the men who strolled straight past trying to contain their smugness. Poor show men.
Cropredy Festival review Croppub-1
Cropredy Festival review Cropchurch

Bump into some pretty scary wildlife in the pub. This is Max as you can see he’d make a good guard dog (not) How he slept through the band playing I’ll never know.
Cropredy Festival review Cropmax
Cropredy Festival review Cropmax2
We went passed the Thai kitchen on the way home which smelt delicious but we weren’t hungry.

Cropredy Festival review Cropgardenthai-1
We went down to the main field about 7ish, purchased a festival special curry, and found a spot to put our chairs. Happily for us, the majority of people were sitting. I struggle to stand for long periods these days. The festival special was very greasy, the samosa was undercooked and the meat was unidentifiable. Typical festival food sadly.(doughnuts and hot chocolate were very good).
When we settled in, I realised John Tams was playing. Didn’t know he was this year but I like his songs. He is mainly a musician but he also played Daniel Hagman in Sharpe. He did some of the music for the programme. He sings lots of songs about the pointlessness and human cost of war. Following this Hayseed Dixie played .Never heard of them but we were very impressed. They came out wearing rave T shirts and dungarees cut off at the knees. Music is an unlikely mix of rock and bluegrass banjo. Sounds mad but it worked. The band are American but I initially thought their whole show was theatre and that they were probably from London like Alabama 3. Got to hand it to the boys, they were probably the highlight of the festival for me.
https://youtu.be/sAWl5peI8HY
Have to say they were better live but this gives you an idea.
UB40 headlined the first night. I enjoyed them but I am completely deaf in my right ear and the music they played was registering as a shell to the ear sound in my deaf ear. This is the festival field. Not much point in taking the stage as we were too far away.
Cropredy Festival review Cropfield
We got to bed by 11pm on night one. Noise levels were fairly low and the majority of festival goers were over 40. It’s a very safe feeling festival, only saw a couple of volunteer bobbies the whole weekend and no trouble at all. The fields were all fairly clean after the bands finished and the toilets were the best I’ve experienced at a festival. By night 2 somebody warned me that the toilet I was about to go in had run out of toilet paper. At Glastonbury people only issue toilet warnings if it’s overflowed and you may drown in raw sewage if you enter.
Day 2 we started the day with a breakfast bun provided by the local school. We also purchased a thermal mug which entitled us to free hot drink refills for the whole weekend. Good show school. Proceeds from the breakfasts have helped the school build a swimming pool and they also give to other charities.
Cropredy Festival review Cropschool
The boat club provide a good breakfast too. Very pleasant to eat by the Oxford canal but we were closer to the school.
Cropredy Festival review Cropboatclub
Hard to see but these pigs lived near the school. All the locals get involved in providing breakfast. GulpCropredy Festival review Croppig-1

The Brasenose pub, also do a breakfast, which has been very good other years we have been. Not sure about the Red lion. You can get lunch at the church, they do soup and cake, or any of the many temporary food outlets.
Second night we settled in the field and watched The Coral, who didn’t really rouse much of response from me, sorry guys, and Seasick Steve who came into the public eye largely through Jules Holland. Again he was talented and entertaining.
Day 3 and Leicester were playing at home so I came home and had a shower and get the camera while the Foxes lost the game. Got back in time to see Badly drawn boy. Again enjoyed the show. Also saw a 6ft plus rotund fellow dressed in a skin tight tiger suit with matching hat and face paint. Had forgotten the camera again surprise surprise, so chased him round with my mobile but lost the stealth like beast in the crowds. Sorry guys that was some sight. I would like to have shared. Watched a little of Fairport convention but then left them for the hardcore fans to enjoy while we paid a visit to the Brasenose arms.
Sunday morning we packed away feeling contented and hangover free, always a bonus. The infamous Eric Cartman would no doubt sayCropredy Festival review Cartman_hippiecrap

But give me the hippies any day. I would love to visit this charming village during the non festival period also. It feels like a very happy place.

Last edited by roamer on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://fiona-king.co.uk
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Cropredy Festival review   Cropredy Festival review Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 9:21 pm

Really enjoyed your fantastic & honest review, with the accompanying photo's. Sounds like you had a great time, & a rep from me to boot. cheers

ALL ROUND DESTINATION EXPERT
Hayzer

PostSubject: Re: Cropredy Festival review   Cropredy Festival review Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 9:30 pm

Thanks Roamer I enjoyed that, I have seen Hayseed Dixie a couple of times in Aberdeen, they always put a smile on my face Very Happy

Girl Power Member
roamer

PostSubject: Re: Cropredy Festival review   Cropredy Festival review Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 9:36 pm

Mr R just pointed out that I have spelt Cropredy wrong Embarassed
Back to top Go down
beeech
Lil 'ol wine drinker
beeech

PostSubject: Re: Cropredy Festival review   Cropredy Festival review Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 9:48 pm

rep from me roamer - great review Very Happy
Back to top Go down
WirralScouse
DE/Prophet of Doom
WirralScouse

PostSubject: Re: Cropredy Festival review   Cropredy Festival review Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 11:31 pm

Very enjoyable read.Not a festival person-you might have guessed! After using the bogs where does one wash hands at these places ?
I saw the Rooneys stayed in an expensive exclusive area at Glastonbury but can the hoi palloi maintain reasonable hygiene standards at these events? Any showers? (not the weather ones).

Back to top Go down
roamer
Girl Power Member
roamer

PostSubject: Re: Cropredy Festival review   Cropredy Festival review Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 6:33 am

That poor woman. I feel her pain.Surprise she held down her breakfast after witnessing that. Luckily there was some toilets in each field with soap and running water. I did see some showers but I'm sure the queue would have been silly. I do miss my home comforts so my Glastonbury days are probably over. Cropredy is close enough to come home for a shower.
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Cropredy Festival review   Cropredy Festival review Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 8:21 am

A very interesting review Roamer and some good pictures to accompany it. I think my camping days are over too, even a nights fishing under a sheltered umbrella is no longer appealing for me.

I did enjoy reading it thanks
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Cropredy Festival review   Cropredy Festival review Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 8:33 am

Very enjoyable Roamer Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Cropredy Festival review   Cropredy Festival review Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 8:45 am

Forgot to say, loved the sign on the bridge. Obviously somebody with an MF sense of humour. lol!

PostSubject: Re: Cropredy Festival review   Cropredy Festival review Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cropredy Festival review

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: UNITED KINGDOM :: UK RESORT REVIEW-
Jump to:  
Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com