Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

private lettings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chelsearo

private lettings _
PostSubject: private lettings   private lettings Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 9:22 am

From the bulletin:

Illegal rentals threaten 13,000 Balearic jobs
The spectacular growth in the Balearics of what is called the “extra-hotel offer”, i.e. private accommodation, has been spreading alarm in the hotel industry and business which supplies it.
Exceltur, the national Alliance for Touristic Excellence which has among its 25 members leading hotel chains in the Balearics, commissioned consultants Ernst & Young to assess the impact of this “offer”; specifically the negative impact of illegal tourist rentals on the Balearic economy and the economies of other principal holiday areas of Spain.
According to Ernst & Young, between 5,000 and 13,000 will be lost in the hotel industry together with turnover that will be anything from 211 million to 529 million euros; these estimates are contained in the report which has made projections for the next ten years based on the current progression in the level of the illegal offer.
The Balearic tourism ministry says that at present there are between 50,000 and 80,000 properties which are not regulated.
Tourist business associations have been in contact for several months with regional governments as well as the national government and European agencies such as HOTREC (the trade association for hotels, restaurants and cafés) in seeking to liaise over the regulation of this type of accommodate and to prevent tax fraud.
For hotel federations like CEHAT, the national Spanish federation, and Majorca’s FEHM, the unregulated accommodation represents a form of unfair competition that undermines the significant recent investment in improving hotel infrastructure and quality.
And according to CEHAT, the number of clients who have made use of illegally rented accommodation in the past three years has grown by around 300%, the consequence of the popularity of online web platforms such as Airbnb, with foreign tourists accounting for 20% of the total.

MY THOUGHTS

Now thats all well and good, I dont wish to see people losing their jobs, however with Privat elettings, it brings more into the resort as they eat and drinkout, use local facilities rather than be stuck in AI hotels which are damaging the resorts no end.

Private lettings have only been made illegal over the last few year (I believe) due to the lobbying of the hotels bosses anyway so you can se their agenda.

If you do wish to let out a private apartment, you need to obtain a licence, which confirms your property is registered and is safe to let out (all correct there), however it is most difficult to get one of these licences and the use of brown envelopes is still in use and thriving!

We dont let ours out but was just putting my thoughts across.
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

private lettings _
PostSubject: Re: private lettings   private lettings Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 6:01 pm

I agree with you Ro, I think the figures are inflated as what was a 'legal' letting until recently has only now become 'illegal', so the threat to jobs is no more and no less than it was before.

But they still don't really get it the Majorca tourist industry... if there's no apartments/villas to rent then people will just go elsewhere where there ARE places to rent. Not everyone wants hotels.
The choice of villas with private pools in Orlando Florida area is amazing, all at a higher standard than mainstream Mallorcan apartments, but costing a lot less. Out of season flight prices to Florida aren't that much higher than so called low cost carrier prices to mallorca by the time you add in suitcases and sitting together.
Back to top Go down
4thforum

4thforum

private lettings _
PostSubject: Re: private lettings   private lettings Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2015 6:08 pm

We always book private. The apartment is invariably of a higher standard than any hotel and also has the added benefit of dishwashers/ washing machines etc. This means we only need to bring carry on luggage ( except Eileen who brings half the feckin house) making the holiday even more affordable. The same law has existed in the Canaries since @ 1995 but its only since the downturn that they actually started enforcing it. Fines of up to 18000 euro have been issued. This has been successfully challenged in court and the Canarian government are now appealing that decision. It would stand to reason that if the government is unsuccessful in its appeal there, then Mallorca would have to follow suit.
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

private lettings _
PostSubject: Re: private lettings   private lettings Icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 5:43 pm

Yep I dont believe any of these figures but as has already been said these hotels dont care about the resorts as a whole, ie bars, restaurants and shops by giving A/I offerings, they just kill a resort flat. They seem to want it all their own way.

Sponsored content

private lettings _
PostSubject: Re: private lettings   private lettings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

private lettings

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: MAJORCA SECTION :: MAJORCA / NEWS & DEBATES SECTION-
Jump to:  
Create a forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com