Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Money before or during

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DARTHERED

Money before or during _
PostSubject: Money before or during   Money before or during Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 9:33 pm

Hi guys

Not sure if I should get my Euros before I fly out or use the Cashpoints when I require cash

Do they put a charge per transaction ?? I would appreciate some advice

Thanks wink
Back to top Go down
HappyH

HappyH

Money before or during _
PostSubject: Re: Money before or during   Money before or during Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 10:01 pm

Euros before you go or load up a pre-paid card (something like a FairFX card) before you go. A great time to buy Euros right now.
HH.
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

Money before or during _
PostSubject: Re: Money before or during   Money before or during Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 10:13 pm

I would only use the Cashpoints to top up if you are running short TBH.

Money before or during _
PostSubject: Re: Money before or during   Money before or during Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 9:51 am

Hi Darth and welcome to the forum, as some people on here may be aware I do keep an eye on the euro rate, I tend to get my cash from tefx.co.uk prior to travelling. I order online and collect in person as it gives a better rate.

after the election it rose again but with the bank of england comments a day or so ago it has slipped back, I am seeing1.3735 from my guys today!

Anyway, good to hear you are heading back out after a few years!!

Ro
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Money before or during _
PostSubject: Re: Money before or during   Money before or during Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 7:53 pm

Hi darthered, the way to go these days is to get a pre paid travel card like HH says, completely safe and you just use it to buy stuff in shops / restos etc like you would normally. Anything left on the card is just a head start to the next break.

https://www.fairfx.com/

If you use the code:

uan7s

you get the £9.99 card joining fee waived, I think you also get a bonus £5 or something on your first top up as well. You'll have to read the T & C's, I'm not certain on that.

The uan7s code is one generated by me, i'd effectively be recommending you.

I just top up by £50 or so as the year goes by and the rates peak.

No real point in waiting to change money abroad these days, carrying all that cash around with you, it's true that you can get a slightly better rate over there than here but unless your changing a £1,000 or a high amount the difference is negligible.
Just get £100 or so from tesco or sainsburys (as good a rate as anywhere for £100) and then use ATM's abroad with the travel card.
Back to top Go down
HappyH

HappyH

Money before or during _
PostSubject: Re: Money before or during   Money before or during Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 8:57 pm

Mark wrote:
Hi darthered, the way to go these days is to get a pre paid travel card like HH says, completely safe and you just use it to buy stuff in shops / restos etc like you would normally. Anything left on the card is just a head start to the next break.

Mark, quick question just pop the card in an ATM while you're away to check the balance?
HH.
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Money before or during _
PostSubject: Re: Money before or during   Money before or during Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 2:37 am

I'm not sure HH if that comes up on screen or not. I take a tablet with me and just log on through the app (which I think can be done on the mobile app as well) but with the tablet app you can see all purchases and pending purchases, balance as well obviously.
I've also got a dollar card and last year it was very helpful to see all the purchases as some petrol stations pre authorised the card for $50 first (you have to pre pay for fuel in the USA) and then charged the $20 - $30 actual fuel cost, with the $50 then refunded. But of course this could sometimes take 24 hours to sort itself out through the banking process, which was confusing at times if you just looked at the straightforward 'how much is left' balance, as a day later there could be more on there than the day before lol
Back to top Go down
HappyH

HappyH

Money before or during _
PostSubject: Re: Money before or during   Money before or during Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 8:52 am

Ah ok, Cheers for that. So before the technological age it was pencil/paper for a running total to keep an aye on it?
Never had one myself, always used travellers cheques years ago but tend to take cash now & hire the safe in the room. Obviously a bit safer with something like a FairFX card.
Just checked there, buy €1000 at the Post Office right now costs £746.83, load €1000 on a FairFX card costs £736.60. Only downside I see is ATM fees if withdrawing cash from the card while abroad (€1.50 each time).
Need to have a wee think about it.
Thanks again,
HH.

Edit: Just checked TopCashBack, £5.25 if you apply for a FairFX card through their website. Every little helps ner-ner
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Money before or during _
PostSubject: Re: Money before or during   Money before or during Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 8:53 pm

Yeah there's other cards HH that don't charge an atm fee, but you tend to get a slightly lower exchange rate on those cards, which sort of is the 'compensation' to set against the atm fee.
€1.50 to withdraw up to €300 at a time is peanuts anyway if you then figure that you don't need a room safe at €20+ for a week?

I don't know the names of the other cards without atm fees, Caxton might be one, Tesco (which is Travelex) maybe another, I suggest a quick search on money saving expert site mate Thumsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Money before or during _
PostSubject: Re: Money before or during   Money before or during Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Money before or during

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: MAJORCA SECTION :: MAJORCA / HELP / ADVICE / QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com