Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

FT article about magaluf

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chelsearo

FT article about magaluf _
PostSubject: FT article about magaluf   FT article about magaluf Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 3:46 pm

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/192f02b0-f318-11e3-a3f8-00144feabdc0.html#axzz35YArFt93

quite interesting, it also answers my question about why they are redeveloping Maga rather than finding a new area, its because the Melai boss grew up in Magagluf.
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: FT article about magaluf   FT article about magaluf Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Great link and an interesting read. Im still not sure how this is going to be achieved though, its not the real world, this was wrote by someone obviously a rich person from Melia hotel group, they mentioned €10 mojitos its not realistic although it would be nice to afford them. the worl is at its knees, people dont have the money any more.

Magaluf and Palma Nova done this years ago, the bar prices soared and the tourists dropped.

When I go there now I feel very sad looking around the place, the youngins dont seem to have any respect at all, they just cannot leave the party on the strip they take it back to the hotel and spoil others holidays.

I remember back in 1986, the first time we went to Magaluf, it was a wonderful amazing place to be, yes the bars were packed out and the atmosphere was amazing, no trouble and everyone walked back home without shouting and causing trouble in the streets, no prostitutes and muggers about.

As for the hotels including melia hotels I blame them for the lower standards, they have allowed this to happen, about 5 years ago we stayed in the Gaudalupe Sol and had nothing but trouble from 3 lads that were next door, the hotel just kept asking them to keep the noise down but done nothing else about it, it ended in me nearly getting kicked out for taking matters into my own hands, the hotel did move them after this but as far as I was concerned they should have been kicked out, me my wife and daughter struggled to sleep before 4am for the first 4 nights of our holiday.

Meal times back then, again I recall the first time there, I wore a jumper to travel in but only had t-shirts, short sleeved shirts and vests for day and night times, the first time we went for a meal in the hotel I was refused entry for not having my arms covered (tattoos), I had to wear that jumper for the whole 14 nights to go for my evening meal then get changed lol, I didnt mind this and it was only right and made the dining area a pleasure to be in, how often do you see this now.

I can understand what this Gabriel Escarrer Jr, Meliá’s current chief executive of Melia group is saying but they have created alot of what has happened, having A/I hotels has made alot of tourists a bit crazy on drink, they have lowed the standards of their hotels over the years and now want to change the damage that THEY have created. They dont have the welfare of local business people in mind either, they are squashing them out of the market and making these resorts a ghost town with empty bars and shops all over the area.

What is needed is bar owners being more educated and stop serving drinks to people that are in a drunken state, they should be held responsible for that. They also need the gardia civil back on the streets these were all over the strip when I was 18 and no one dared give them grief as they knew what would happen.

Calvia and Melia need to turn the clocks back a bit.

We were told that the strip was to be blocked to traffic this summer, has it happened, NO, we were told more police on the strip has it happened, NO well yes for a few days upto 11pm, whats the use in that. Lies lies lies all the time, broken promises all the time doesnt make sense or does it......

Here is what has been mentioned before, Calvia and Majorca dont want the Brits there any more, they want to attract money people, so word on the street is they are running the place down, allowing the muggers etc to chase people away, raising the prices of accommodation, they have also made renting a private apartments out illegal now.

I think they are going to run it that far down that the street shops and bars will be empty and cleared and made way for new developments, I think long term it could work but they have certainly turned their backs on the people that made the Island rich. The resort does need a huge lift, it would be lovely to walk along the beach and streets looking at lovely shops they talk about, sitting in lovely bars but can we afford what they are suggesting only time will tell.

chelsearo

PostSubject: Re: FT article about magaluf   FT article about magaluf Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 5:00 pm

Good points there mate.

you might be right are they trying to get the resort to be too high end too soon? As you say time will tell.

Just because something is expensive doesn't make it better. People want to see good value for money and not be ripped off.
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: FT article about magaluf   FT article about magaluf Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 10:33 pm

Daryn's article is better than the FT one! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: FT article about magaluf   FT article about magaluf Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2014 11:11 pm

lol! lol! lol! lol! 

Hayzer
ALL ROUND DESTINATION EXPERT
Hayzer

PostSubject: Re: FT article about magaluf   FT article about magaluf Icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 12:54 pm

A interesting read, what is obvious is that the price war has driven the resort down to become what it is today. The harsh reality is that bargain AI is not a moneymaker for the hotels or for the wider resort. As much as we all love a bargain holiday the truth is you get what you pay for and there are lots of people who are willing to pay the premium price for a perceived premium product.

It will take some time to change the whole resort but if there is enough will and investment I am sure it will happen eventually but its not easy to polish a turd.

Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: FT article about magaluf   FT article about magaluf Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 7:00 pm

lol! lol! lol! 

cilit bang and the turd is gone
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FT article about magaluf   FT article about magaluf Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

FT article about magaluf

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: MAJORCA SECTION :: MAJORCA / NEWS & DEBATES SECTION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com