Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Skellig Michael

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
4thforum

4thforum

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 11:07 pm

I've finally taken the plunge ( figuratively I hope) and booked Skellig Michael trip next Sat week. Even the boat trip ( open boat is 7.5m x 3.5m ) will be an adventure. When we get to the island ( 8 miles out in the Atlantic), you have to jump from the boat and grab hold of the ladder to climb up!!  pale THEN, its a 600 foot climb on 1000 year old steps to get to the top. Some of the steps are right at the edge!!  pale  I should be fine though, there has only been 2 fatalities in the last 8 years there! ( No handrails or modern conveniences of any sort allowed i.e. no toilet as it is a world heritage site and they dont want to deface it. I'm bringing a roll of toilet paper cos I'm pretty sure I'll be bricking it!  pale pale pale 

The video below shows what it is like. The Skellig bit starts at 39.55 minutes. ( Actually, the first 5 minutes is about where I live)
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 11:15 pm

You forgot to post the video  lol!

4thforum

4thforum

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 11:16 pm

Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed 

Back to top Go down
4thforum

4thforum

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 11:17 pm

Oh for crissakes!!!!!!!!

39.55 in and the first few minutes is about Galway

Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 11:30 pm

Thats going to be a nice little adventure, love stuff like that.

4thforum

4thforum

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 11:32 pm

I'm not great with heights. I reckon I'll be ok going up, but coming down OMG!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeThu May 22, 2014 12:03 am

Dont look  lol!

Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 9:25 am

Doesn't seem to be much of a family holiday destination to me lol!

I take it it's not all inclusive? Very Happy

It's probably in Daryn's holiday price bracket anyway lolol

Look forward to the pics Dermo Thumsup
Back to top Go down
4thforum

4thforum

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 5:06 pm

Well, I survived Skellig Michael. My brother in law and myself did it last Saturday morning. We got a boat out from Portmagee, Co. Kerry. It took about an hour to get there. The crossing wasn't too bad considering we were 8 miles out in the Atlantic. Because I'm a feckin muppet and forgot my camera, some of these photos aren't great, they were taken with my phone.
Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael P1012110" />

This is the little road they built from the pier on the island. There was no gangplank off the boat, you have to jump from the boat to the steps

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael P1012211" />

(Sorry, I cant get it to load right way up!)

We were met by a guide at the bottom of the steps who gave us a safety lecture.He told us to keep to the inside of the steps. Like I needed to be told that!!
Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2010" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael P1012212" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2011" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2012" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2013" />
Don't look down!

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2014" />

Long way down!!

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2015" />

Even longer way down!!

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2016" />

Nearly there. Thats Little Skellig in the background. I have a few close ups of that later.

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2017" />

We did it. This is me not at all looking scared at the top of the steps.

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael P1012213" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael P1012214" />

The monastery. It took several generations to build, maybe over 200 years. They first built a massive retaining wall ( dry stone, no mortar) and slowly raised the ground level on the inside. Once it was @ 70 foot high, they built a little garden with soil from the mainland and the beehive huts. ( All stone and soil was lifted by hand up all those steps)

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2018" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2019" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2020" />

The walls of the huts are @ 6/7 foot thick. Inside, the remain more or less around the same temperature all year round.

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2021" />

My favourite photo

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2022" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2023" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2024" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2025" />

One of the guides giving a talk on the place
Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2026" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2027" />

These were another set of steps to the bottom but the last 50 feet or so, were blasted away when they made the road/path

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2028" />

The graves of two children of lighthouse keepers in the 1800's who died on the island.

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2029" />

Some bollix that I don't know and I'm definitely not related to.

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael P1012215" />

There used to be a rock sticking out at the top of this promontory. Apparently, people used to crawl to the edge and kiss it. The rock has since fallen into the sea.

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2030" />

Time for the descent

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2031" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2032" />

Looking back to the entrance to the monastery

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2034" />

There were puffins everywhere, very tame

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2035" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael P1012216" />

Leaving the island

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2036" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael P1012217" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael P1012111" />

On the return trip, we went close to Little Skellig. This is the 2nd biggest gannetry in the world. My brother in law got shat upon, right on top of his head! :Belly Laugh:

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael P1012218" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael P1012219" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael P1012220" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael P1012221" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2037" />

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2038" />

Our last look at the two islands

Skellig Michael <a href=Skellig Michael Img_2039" />
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 5:16 pm

WOW what a great adventure well done and thanks for the photos, your phone camera really worked well. Thats an awesome place to visit thanks for sharing and repped  clap 

4thforum

4thforum

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 9:41 pm

I meant to say, there was an American who told the guide at the top and I quote "You guys should sell T-shirts with photos of Skellig Michael on them". There was a stunned silence from all who heard him.  silent 
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 9:51 pm

The camera worked fine Dermo! Well done mate, rep from me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
HappyH

HappyH

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 10:00 pm

Smashing mate, rep from me too.
HH.
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 10:21 pm

yes very enjoyable Dermot, looks a real good adventure, rep from me
Back to top Go down
4thforum

4thforum

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 10:26 pm

Thanks guys. I've never been to Machu Pichu but I've been to Chichen Itza in Mexico. This is on another scale completely. Everyone should do it at least once in their lives. ( particularly before they start selling t-shirts and sticks of rock there!)
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 10:29 pm

The boat trip would be the biggest scare for me  Shocked
Back to top Go down
4thforum

4thforum

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 10:32 pm

Actually, it was fine. I even took the waterproofs off when I got there and wore shorts for the journey home
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 10:28 pm

Did you do Chichen Itza when they still allowed you to climb it Dermo?
Because you couldn't climb it, I didn't bother going there, went to the one at Coba instead. (which you could still climb).

Skellig Michael SAM_0414

Skellig Michael SAM_0426
Back to top Go down
4thforum

4thforum

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 10:36 pm

It was 1997 when I was there Mark. I didn't know they stopped people from climbing. I wonder cos there were 3 fatalities a year on the castle ( at least thats what we were told). Anyway, we climbed it no problem. The way down was a different kettle of fish. I took the 1st 2 steps and then came down on my arse the rest of the way  Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
4thforum

4thforum

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 12:16 am

Back to top Go down
DadsBarmy

DadsBarmy

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 10:53 am

OK Sue and I now have to go and visit, rep for that compilation
Back to top Go down
4thforum

4thforum

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 1:40 pm

Muchas Gracias Dads. I'm not a spiritual person but there is a serenity and mysticism about that place. I'm definitely going to go back, this time with a proper camera.
Back to top Go down
Mark
Majorca Mad
Mark

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2014 12:34 am

4thforum wrote:
I took the 1st 2 steps and then came down on my arse the rest of the way  Embarassed 

lol! lol! Well you won't be surprised to hear that my Jan only got about 30 steps up that Mexican pyramid and then had to turn around and come down on her ar$e as well lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Skellig Michael _
PostSubject: Re: Skellig Michael   Skellig Michael Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Skellig Michael

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: WORLDWIDE TRAVEL REVIEW SECTION NEW FOR 2011. EST 18/05/11 :: ENTER HERE :: IRELAND :: RESORT REVIEW SECTION-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com