Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majorca Travel Forum / Majorca Help and Information Forum

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Some ideas for our visit

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LandladyJan

Some ideas for our visit _
PostSubject: Some ideas for our visit   Some ideas for our visit Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 9:02 am

Hi everyone.

We are a mature English couple who have been living on the Costa Blanca for 10 years.  We´ve visited Mallorca a few times for short trips, but this time we want to do things a little differently.  We are booked to arrive in September for 10 days and have our first night´s accommodation booked in Palma.  We want to then take the quant train to Soller and spend three days there, perhaps getting the bus back.  We are then thinking of hiring a car and either spending a few days in different places, or the rest of our stay in the one place - but I don´t know where, or whether we should get a car or just use the buses.  Our budget is limited being pensioners, so no expensive hotels.  

Any ideas for us?

On another note, our daughter loves Mallorca and would like to live and work there in a few years time.  She speaks fluent Spanish and is planning of getting trained as a swimming instructor/coach.  (She represented Valencia in Mallorca a few years back in the National swimming competitions)  She doesn´t speak German though, and has no desire to.  Would that impede her chances of a job on this Island in the future do you think?

Looking forward to your responses.
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for our visit   Some ideas for our visit Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 2:33 pm

have a look at some of the reviews on here Jan, most have photos to describe the places Puerto Pollensa is quite a family resort but is north of the Island
Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for our visit   Some ideas for our visit Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 4:44 pm

As Del said we have some great reviews on here and more getting added as we go on our travels, here is the link https://majorcaforum.forumotion.com/f178-majorca-accommodation-majorca-resort-review-sections

Palma is a great place to start lots of interesting little streets shops and old culture to explore and don't forget the Cathedral Ive been in there amazing.

Ive never been to Soller but would love to take that little train across, some great places in that area as well I would like to visit.

I can tell you a few places I have researched and would love to visit one day on the Island.............

Serra de Tramuntana beautiful countyside and mountains.

Valldimossa

Cap de Formentor

These are just some of the lovely non touristic places, I have lots of touristic places if you want them but the reviews should show you these.

Are you interested in shows as well let us know what interests you

LandladyJan

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for our visit   Some ideas for our visit Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to respond so quickly.  I have been having a fun day looking at the reviews and maps, thinking of doing something, then changing my mind, then changing it back again lol

I´ve got our first night booked in the City. We´re arriving late, so not much point in getting anything but basic and central so we can have an evening meal and be near the train station for the trip to Sóller.  I rented a little studio in the Port de Sóler for three days.  We can have a good look around that area, and perhaps take a boat trip one day and visit Deia another day by bus.  We will probably return to Palma by bus on the 13th to keep costs down, then I´ve got 2 days to look for another place to stay at?  I´ve booked three days in an all inclusive hotel in Santa Ponsa on the 15th for a bit of lazing in the sun time, (hoping I get bay views from the cliff top) After that I´ve got to find somewhere else to stay for the last 2 days.  Perhaps we´ll stay in the City and visit the Cathedral on those last days.

So really it´s just the 13th and 14th I now need to look for a location and accommodation for.  Can´t be too far away or we´ll be spending all our time on buses, rather than chilling somewhere nice with a glass of rojo and tapas Smile  

I do love flamenco shows, but prefer the more casual varieties in local bars, rather than the touristy organised events.  I don´t like bull-fights (don´t think you have them in Mallorca though?) Nor do I like the dancing horses - well they are brilliant, but I can´t help but think it´s cruel to pull their heads in so much.  Guitar playing and singing - great, especially in a chill out bar terrace.
Back to top Go down
Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for our visit   Some ideas for our visit Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 6:31 pm

Sounds like a nice chill out holiday that you are planning Jan.Thumsup

Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for our visit   Some ideas for our visit Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 8:37 pm

Whilst your at Santa Ponsa take a look at Palma Nova lovely beach and a long walk with bars and restaurants, Paguera is another nice resort I visited last year which again is not far from Santa Ponsa. https://majorcaforum.forumotion.com/t8698-our-afternoon-out-to-pageura-1st-october-2012

Camp De Mar was another place we went too last year, very small place but has a lovely restaurant on a little Island https://majorcaforum.forumotion.com/t8699-a-few-hours-in-camp-de-mar

A good show to see in magaluf is Pirates again not far from SP.

In Santa Ponsa look for a bar called the The Rovers Return , a guy there plays guitar and he is amazing Pablo

LandladyJan

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for our visit   Some ideas for our visit Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 8:26 am

I was thinking of Palma Nova as I think thats the place we stopped at on the bus from Palma when we were in Mallorca with our daughter for a few days some years back.  She wanted to take a look at Magaluf, being a typical young teenager. We got another bus from where we stopped, which I think must have been Palma Nova and I remember saying that the beach looked lovely.  We didn´t really like the look of Magaluf to be honest.  Looked a bit "scruffy" even our daughter thought so, but she did manage to scrounge some old posters of the parties from a cafe to put on her bedroom wall to make her look "cool" amongst her friends.

Other than there, perhaps Illetas.  Unfortunately there isn´t a review of it here. I have found a little studio that we could rent for a couple of days there, but want to find out what its like first.

Will definitely look for that bar - love Pablo´s playing!

Thanks for your help.  This is a friendly forum Smile  I own an expat forum for the area around Alicante that I live in. It´s been running for 10 years now and like this place, I have a lot of friendly and very informative members, so if you are ever in our area of Spain and want to know where to find a good restaurant, get an ITV for your car, or what is on locally - let me know and I´ll give you the url.  I won´t post it here as I wouldn´t want to upset anyone or break any rules. The first weekend in August we have a three day fiesta just up the road from us.  They erect a stage in our local commercial area and all the bars and restaurants put out chairs and outside drinks areas.  We have three days of entertainment on the stage, Spanish and English - many talented musicians, dancers and singers.  There are things for the children to do, fireworks and foam parties for the youngsters or young at heart.  It´s really hot and humid here in August, so the nights are great for staying outside.  We like to stay one evening, but three is too much for us Smile  This August we may just drive up to the North of Spain where it´s cooler and explore the Asturias region for a couple of weeks, as that is an area we haven´t done yet. 

When we get back from our trip, I´ll post the piccies I took throughout our stay in Mallorca.
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for our visit   Some ideas for our visit Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 9:13 am

hi Jan

we are a pretty friendly bunch on here, I'm sure Daryn will let you link but he will let you know. The site didnt originally have sections for resorts and hotel and as such the early reviews got combined. Hayzer has been and if you look at the review you will see the Illitas beaches on this link

Riu Bonanza Park Hotel

Palma Nova is this review which you may have seen

Palma Nova

Back to top Go down
Daryn
Admin
Daryn

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for our visit   Some ideas for our visit Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 11:05 am

Add your travel link here https://majorcaforum.forumotion.com/f179-travel-links-section

Also add it to your signature so others know will see it. Their is a security thingy on here that wont allow new members to add url's for the first week but then after please do add them love looking at other forums.

We have a few members from a Tenerife forum on here and we like to pop over and look and join in on theirs

Mick
ALL ROUND GOOD GUY
Mick

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for our visit   Some ideas for our visit Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 11:34 am

Feel free to go for it Jan, as it will be interesting to see your area where you live.

Majorca Mad
Mark

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for our visit   Some ideas for our visit Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 9:34 pm

Thanks for the informative post Jan Thumsup a bunch of us recently stayed in Benidorm so we was in your neck of the woods.
I was thinking about the tram to Deia (? right spelling?) for the day and would probably have asked for some info of that area.
Unfortunately we had a few cloudy days in April, when we went, so didn't do many external trips, just sat and read books and relaxed type thing instead.
No probs with posting links here. We hate TA for their big bully style of moderation. Pretty much anything goes here within the obvious bounds of decency.

We just have to handcuff Daryn now and again rolling laughing
Back to top Go down
delboy
Mad Destination Expert
delboy

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for our visit   Some ideas for our visit Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 11:30 pm

and thats so he's sick in the bog rather than on the floor here at MF towers lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some ideas for our visit   Some ideas for our visit Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some ideas for our visit

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Welcome to the Majorca and Worldwide Travel Forum :: MAJORCA SECTION :: MAJORCA / HELP / ADVICE / QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS-
Jump to:  
Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com